LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Outside the Pocket

Shop 49ers game tickets
Trying to understand the NFL passing rules. Once the QB leaves the pocket, can the Defense just start blocking their guy? Is PI a thing once a QB leaves the pocket?
Originally posted by TTTT9ers:
Trying to understand the NFL passing rules. Once the QB leaves the pocket, can the Defense just start blocking their guy? Is PI a thing once a QB leaves the pocket?

I believe your allowed to make contact with the receiver but you can't interfere or hold.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I believe your allowed to make contact with the receiver but you can't interfere or hold.

So you'd have to wait for the WR to start blocking you before you engage? I mean once they QB is outside the pocket they're considered a runner who can pass, correct?
The dubious penalty on Sherm in the SNF game this season against the Packers highlights this rule

He shouldn't have been penalized for bumping the receiver he was covering in the endzone, once Rodgers had rolled out of the pocket
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
The dubious penalty on Sherm in the SNF game this season against the Packers highlights this rule

He shouldn't have been penalized for bumping the receiver he was covering in the endzone, once Rodgers had rolled out of the pocket

Thank you Dr_Bill_Walsh, so once the QB is out of the pocket he's a runner, ergo, the defense is allow to block them (even though he got an unnecessary roughness call). So you can even go as far to to bump them out.

I know it's about being able to see the QB on this, but why not just do this one a QB is out of the pocket, wouldn't that help stop those "extended" plays?
Share 49ersWebzone