There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bradford Deal Done

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I don't ever want to draft a QB in the first round from now forth...

I don't know if there will be NFL football next year...but
just imagine what next year's 1st overall QB is going to get

There's going to be rookie caps in the next CBA.

thats not a guarantee

The union has already proposed to remove 200 million dollars from the rookie pool in the next CBA. Problem is they want 3 year contracts for rookies, and want to ensure that the 200 million dollars goes to vets/ retired players.

This is an issue were the owners will win.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. The owners will not make some rookie the highest paid player ever and the rookies who perform well will not be tied into a long term rookie scale contract.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I don't ever want to draft a QB in the first round from now forth...

I don't know if there will be NFL football next year...but
just imagine what next year's 1st overall QB is going to get

There's going to be rookie caps in the next CBA.

thats not a guarantee

The union has already proposed to remove 200 million dollars from the rookie pool in the next CBA. Problem is they want 3 year contracts for rookies, and want to ensure that the 200 million dollars goes to vets/ retired players.

This is an issue were the owners will win.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. The owners will not make some rookie the highest paid player ever and the rookies who perform well will not be tied into a long term rookie scale contract.

yeah, that sounds like a great compromise to me.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I don't ever want to draft a QB in the first round from now forth...

I don't know if there will be NFL football next year...but
just imagine what next year's 1st overall QB is going to get

There's going to be rookie caps in the next CBA.

thats not a guarantee

The union has already proposed to remove 200 million dollars from the rookie pool in the next CBA. Problem is they want 3 year contracts for rookies, and want to ensure that the 200 million dollars goes to vets/ retired players.

This is an issue were the owners will win.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. The owners will not make some rookie the highest paid player ever and the rookies who perform well will not be tied into a long term rookie scale contract.

4 years sounds reasonable to me. That's the standard rookie contract length for picks beyond the 1st round. 3 years just isn't enough time to judge a player.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I don't ever want to draft a QB in the first round from now forth...

I don't know if there will be NFL football next year...but
just imagine what next year's 1st overall QB is going to get

There's going to be rookie caps in the next CBA.

thats not a guarantee

The union has already proposed to remove 200 million dollars from the rookie pool in the next CBA. Problem is they want 3 year contracts for rookies, and want to ensure that the 200 million dollars goes to vets/ retired players.

This is an issue were the owners will win.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. The owners will not make some rookie the highest paid player ever and the rookies who perform well will not be tied into a long term rookie scale contract.

4 years sounds reasonable to me. That's the standard rookie contract length for picks beyond the 1st round. 3 years just isn't enough time to judge a player.


Being 49er fans, we should all know that. With certain positions, especially running backs, we know what we've got after 3 years. If I'm a running back, which is a position that generally hits the ground running and flames out fast, I wouldn't want to be locked into a rookie scale contract for the same length of time as a QB who's career will probably be twice as long.
Its ridiculous. $50 Million GUARANTEED for a guy with 2 serious injuries to his throwing shoulder, and is now going to a team with a bad o-line and gonna be getting crushed by NFL players? Absolutely crazy!
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Its ridiculous. $50 Million GUARANTEED for a guy with 2 serious injuries to his throwing shoulder, and is now going to a team with a bad o-line and gonna be getting crushed by NFL players? Absolutely crazy!

The O-line isn't bad. The WR core is though.
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Its ridiculous. $50 Million GUARANTEED for a guy with 2 serious injuries to his throwing shoulder, and is now going to a team with a bad o-line and gonna be getting crushed by NFL players? Absolutely crazy!

The O-line isn't bad. The WR core is though.

When i watched them last year against us, we got to Boller/Null with ease. I would definitely say they have a bad o-line
That's double the guaranteed money "we" gave Alex Smith... gives you a great comparison to how crazy these no.1 overall pick deals have gotten! people were crying rookie deals had gotten out of control when we had hte no.1 pick! LOL

[ Edited by Milkman on Aug 1, 2010 at 00:17:00 ]
Originally posted by Milkman:
That's double the guaranteed money "we" gave Alex Smith... gives you a great comparison to how crazy these no.1 overall pick deals have gotten! people were crying rookie deals had gotten out of control when we had hte no.1 pick! LOL

i would do the math if i wasn't lazy, but i wonder how many years until it would reach 100 mil guaranteed, if the new cba doesn't have a rookie cap
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by Milkman:
That's double the guaranteed money "we" gave Alex Smith... gives you a great comparison to how crazy these no.1 overall pick deals have gotten! people were crying rookie deals had gotten out of control when we had hte no.1 pick! LOL

i would do the math if i wasn't lazy, but i wonder how many years until it would reach 100 mil guaranteed, if the new cba doesn't have a rookie cap

I completed college 6yrs ago... I refuse to use my mind to solve mathematical equations anymore!

[ Edited by Milkman on Aug 1, 2010 at 01:06:39 ]
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Its ridiculous. $50 Million GUARANTEED for a guy with 2 serious injuries to his throwing shoulder, and is now going to a team with a bad o-line and gonna be getting crushed by NFL players? Absolutely crazy!

The O-line isn't bad. The WR core is though.

When i watched them last year against us, we got to Boller/Null with ease. I would definitely say they have a bad o-line

Injury bug got them last year. They are not as bad as they looked last year.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,899
Good for Sam
I say bust and if so, it will set back the Lambs for YEARS
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Absolutely ridiculous.

Exactly - the guy hasn't proven a single thing as an NFL QB and already he's making more than most veterans and, probably, some All-Pros. No disrespect to NFL high draft picks, but these rookie contracts are way out of line.
If I was a team owner who got the first overall pick I would seriously consider about passing on the pick. The financial investment is very rarely worth it.