There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Antonio Gates signs 5 year extension, $7.2m per year, $20.4 guaranteed

http://twitter.com/mortreport

Posted by Chris Mortenson via Twitter.

Let's see how this impacts our signing of Vernon.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jul 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM ]
Nice.
Jason LaCanfora: Chargers announce premier TE Antonio Gates signed to an extension through 2015. Big move for the Bolts.
ok VD time to get it done
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
Good for Gates. Chargers being proactive.

But this becomes a non issue for Vernon if he produces again this year like last.
The grand total comes to $36.175 million!
Davis' deal will be in that ballpark I'd guess
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I think that sets the roof for Vernon. Niners need to sign him before the season starts - so they ca focus on signing Goldson
Not what I was expecting for Gates, he is clearly in his prime, and getting short of 8M a yr by 800,000.

So, I can see Vernon getting this type of deal.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I think that sets the roof for Vernon. Niners need to sign him before the season starts - so they ca focus on signing Goldson

Vernon will probally get a 6 year deal though and bump his numbers up that way.

6 years, 44 million, 25 million guaranteed.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

The moment we get all our rookies signed Vernon will definitely be the next dude in line to get a contract extension before the regular season. (We basically have to restructure his contract since he'll be tanking the salary cap since he's on the final year of his previous extension +incentives he might earn before the end of the year).

I think it was either Borrows or Maiocco who confirmed from an inside source that once we lock up our rooks we'll be extending a handful of vets (I see Davis and Goldson getting locked up first.)
Best TE in the league, IMO
That should keep Vernon from asking for wide-out money like people had been saying earlier in the summer.
V.Davis' asking price has to be at least $40 mil w/ more than 20 guaranteed.

He might ask for 8 million a year

-maiocco

49ers aint paying that
Bye bye Vernon