LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Report: Jack Tatum dies at 61

Shop 49ers game tickets
Report: Jack Tatum dies at 61
RIP Jack. One of the toughest NFL players ever. Even though I HATED the Raiders with a passion I certainly respected Tatum's game.
RIP.... BTW F**K the Raiders!
"Tatum suffered from diabetes for years. He lost all five toes on his left foot, and his right leg was amputated."

Holy ****! I wonder if that's karma for paralyzing that one player.

Anyway, RIP.

R.I.P.

Jack Tatum

R.I.P Tatum

RIP Tatum
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Jul 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Tatum was douche for never apologizing for paralyzing Darrly Stingley. Karma is a b***h, looks like suffered in the end of his life.
Originally posted by susweel:
Tatum was douche for never apologizing for paralyzing Darrly Stingley. Karma is a b***h, looks like suffered in the end of his life.

nice.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by TheRobot:

nice.

If a man paralyzes another man you would think he would show some kind of remorse.

nice.

If a man paralyzes another man you would think he would show some kind of remorse.

I tend to agree with you that he should have, at the very least, visited Stingley. There are more important things than sports, and there is nothing wrong with apologizing for an accident.

Nonetheless, RIP Mr. Tatum.
[ Edited by YouGotGored on Jul 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM ]
RIP Tatum
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YouGotGored:

nice.

I tend to agree with you that he should have, at the very least, visited Stingley. There are more important things than sports, and there is nothing wrong with apologizing for an accident.

Nonetheless, RIP Mr. Tatum.

Quote:
“I’m not going to beg forgiveness,” Tatum said. “That’s what people say: You never apologized. I didn’t apologize for the play. That was football. I was sorry that he got hurt. But to go out and apologize for the way I played football? That is never going to happen.
“I never did anything wrong. I apologized for the result. It was portrayed that I did something wrong — by the NFL, by papers - because that’s what they were fed. Even today, people still think I’m a bad guy.
“My only question is this: What did I do wrong?”

Quote:
Jack Tatum still has never spoken to Darryl Stingley.
Tatum insists he tried years ago.
Stingley says Tatum never did.

“I made some attempts but it seems people around Darryl thwarted that,” Tatum said. “It’ll happen when it’s meant to happen. You can’t keep banging your head against the wall.”

Quote:
“He’s the most kindhearted man I’ve ever known, the absolute best dad on the planet,” Denise said. “It’s hurtful to hear what people say about [Jack] and [Stingley]. He did hurt over it. He did. He tried to reach out and do the right thing, but he was turned away. It was an accident, what happened. But he didn’t do anything wrong.
“Apologize?” She stopped for a second and took a deep breath. The 25th anniversary is on the way, the story of Jack Tatum and Darryl Stingley starting all over again.
Finally, she said, “My husband is never going to apologize.”
[ Edited by 9er2k on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:36 PM ]
RIP

this dude played with passion
Watching him and those Raider teams of the 70's was fun. He was Ronnie Lott before Ronnie Lott.

His hit on Stingley was hard. He had nothing to apologize for. He hit others harder. What happened to Stingley was regrettable and I am sure Tatum made the overtures to see him. If Remorse was an issue, Tatum, with the help from Shell, Upshaw, Matusak and Madden was quick to get over it or he would never had played another down himself.

He will be missed.
Share 49ersWebzone