There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dez Bryant's deal is done

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I cant believe it

I honestly thought that Dez was going to hold out

I didn't. This was totally different than the Crabtree situation. Dez hadn't played in a year, he was picked 15 spots lower or something like that, he wasn't as productive as Crabs, and Parker was coming off criticism from last year where the majority of his first round picks had been hold outs with the last one nearly becoming a disaster for Crabtree. He also wound up getting out negotiated by one of the NFL's youngest owners and a numbers cruncher in Paraage Marathe. Another long hold out for the 25th pick of all players would've been a huge hit for his career as an agent and he wouldn't have gotten too many more clients for a while IMO.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I cant believe it

I honestly thought that Dez was going to hold out

I didn't. This was totally different than the Crabtree situation. Dez hadn't played in a year, he was picked 15 spots lower or something like that, he wasn't as productive as Crabs, and Parker was coming off criticism from last year where the majority of his first round picks had been hold outs with the last one nearly becoming a disaster for Crabtree. He also wound up getting out negotiated by one of the NFL's youngest owners and a numbers cruncher in Paraage Marathe. Another long hold out for the 25th pick of all players would've been a huge hit for his career as an agent and he wouldn't have gotten too many more clients for a while IMO.

and the clients he did get would fall in the draft.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
Definitely Parker trying to restore his reputation by getting this deal done quickly. First, 1st Round Pick, to sign with teamis a lot better than a history of holdouts.
[ Edited by Stuuk on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:22 AM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
maybe Parker wanted to redeem himself

that's what I'm thinking as well. If Parker had another high-profile holdout, it might have been the end of him as an agent.

Now that he got this deal in time and it's the first 1st round pick signed, he's getting good publicity and he can write off the Crabtree saga as a one-off occurrence.

-9fA

Or maybe he thought if I can't get over on Jed York, I'm sure as s**t not going to get over on Jerry Jones . . . so I should just set the market.

This. Parker was owned by the Nines last year in negotiations and Parker looked like a fool. He needed to get this deal done quickly.
f**k THE COWBOYS AND DEZ BRYANT. Send that b***h across the middle when we see them in the playoffs

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the contract covers five years, with a base value of $11.8 million and $8.5 million guaranteed.

2009 Comparable Contracts

24th Pick (as was Bryant)
Peria Jerry DT Atlanta Signed 5 years, $13.25 million ($7.55M guaranteed)

22nd Pick (Closest WR)
Percy Harvin WR Minnesota Signed 5 years, $14.25 million ($8.4M guaranteed)

Guaranteed money is the only number worth looking at. If Bryant is any good or any bad the chance of him playing for the boys under this contract for all five years is pretty slim.

Very true.
Originally posted by teeohh:
"This was very important to me to be able to get this done in time for the first practice," Bryant said in comments distributed by the team. "I want to help this team. I want to compete. I can't wait to start playing football again."

lol

At the end of the day, the agent works for the player, if Crabtree wanted to be in camp on time he could have been.
You have to wonder what influenced is decision though, someone sure told him he deserved DHB money.
wtf does this have to do with Crabs?
Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the contract covers five years, with a base value of $11.8 million and $8.5 million guaranteed.

22nd Pick (Closest WR)

Looks like a reasonable deal.

Bryant is getting nearly 75% guaranteed. The Cowboys got a steal on this contract signing. You gotta wonder if it wasn't more Crabtree than agent to blame for last year's holdout disaster.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

22nd Pick (Closest WR)

Bryant is getting nearly 75% guaranteed. The Cowboys got a steal on this contract signing. You gotta wonder if it wasn't more Crabtree than agent to blame for last year's holdout disaster.

He got more guaranteed money than a WR picked two spots earlier last year, and a full million more in guaranteed money than the 24th player picked last year.

How is this the Boys getting a steal? Also consider that there might not be a season next year and the money is guaranteed, as well as the fact the overall money in almost all cases on a five year contract is virtually meaningless.

Seems like a fair deal.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

22nd Pick (Closest WR)

He got more guaranteed money than a WR picked two spots earlier last year, and a full million more in guaranteed money than the 24th player picked last year.

How is this the Boys getting a steal? Also consider that there might not be a season next year and the money is guaranteed, as well as the fact the overall money in almost all cases on a five year contract is virtually meaningless.

Seems like a fair deal.

I guess in the slot he was chosen, it was fair. What was going through in my mind when I said "steal" was:

1) Crabtree 10th spot, much more money
2) Agent is Eugene Parker
3) Holdout for what...5 games?

Then, the Cowboys get a talented WR (as talented as Crabtree is debatable, but we'll see) for much less money and will show up for camp on time.

But let me be clear, despite all that, Crabtree was productive for us and I'm glad he's on our team. He even had a chance for ROTY honors had he played a full season.
crabtree got a 6yr/$32M deal for being the 10th pick.

with 17M i believe in Guaranteed money.
I bet you the hair on a snatch that Dez Bryant will hold out for a new contract if not in 2011, certainly 2012.
Originally posted by Psinex:
I bet you the hair on a snatch that Dez Bryant will hold out for a new contract if not in 2011, certainly 2012.

Money says he won't even be a Cowboy before his rookie contract ends.

As for all the other arguments it's simple:

1. The guy was picked late in the first round = less leverage/money.
2. Dez Bryant is a hardcore Dallas Cowboys fan, and he knows the faster he gets into camp, the faster Tony Romo will be throwing him touchdowns.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jul 24, 2010 at 2:58 AM ]
Maybe Dez Bryant and Eugene Parker saw that the lengthy holdout really didn't work and just accepted that you can't circumvent the rookie slotting system.

Do you really think Crabtree would hold out if he saw Bryant go thru this last year and not make any additional guaranteed money?