LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Idea for improving labor problems, season

Shop 49ers game tickets
What do you guys think of this article from SI about the current NFL labor dispute? I think this guy has an interesting idea.

Quote:
Step one: Instead of eliminating just two preseason games, eliminate all of them. Play 18 games in 19 weeks, beginning on Labor Day weekend.

Step two: Replace Organized Team Activities with a short-season, eight-team developmental league for young players and backups, similar to the NBA's Developmental League.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/13/schedule/index.html#ixzz0txg4AfBW

I have been kind of against the longer NFL schedule, but I love the idea of having a spring developmental league. It would help give a lot of fuel to the Nate Davis threads.
Yeah I got one, fire that clown DeMaurice Smith. That guy is a joke.

Gene Upshaw was a true leader of men.
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Yeah I got one, fire that clown DeMaurice Smith. That guy is a joke.

Gene Upshaw was a true leader of men.

ok. i think Smith has been alright. i'm very much with the players in the "dispute" but I think the ideas put forward by the writer of the article I posted would make the entire NFL season better and might make everyone happy.
Of the three major sports, The NFL has the shortest schedule and shortest postseason. I am all for lengthening the season. 2 games each against your division rivals. 1 game each against the conference. 0 games against the other conference. 3 Divsions per conference. 3 Winners, 5 next best records in the Playoffs. Using this kind of format, No sub .500 records in the playoffs are almost a guarantee.
Originally posted by BigRon:
Of the three major sports, The NFL has the shortest schedule and shortest postseason. I am all for lengthening the season. 2 games each against your division rivals. 1 game each against the conference. 0 games against the other conference. 3 Divsions per conference. 3 Winners, 5 next best records in the Playoffs. Using this kind of format, No sub .500 records in the playoffs are almost a guarantee.

i would really like that format, too. i love the idea of always playing everyone in your conference and never playing the other conference, really, until the super bowl.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

i would really like that format, too. i love the idea of always playing everyone in your conference and never playing the other conference, really, until the super bowl.

no i like the idea of a local rivalry.

the niners will play the raiders every year( as will the rest of the niners division)
the cards play the chargers( as will the rest of their division)

then again that is a plus to the NBA's western and easter conference set up.

i think 4 divisions. otherwise you would have 2 divisions wiht 5 teams and 1 with 6. or you could just say no divisions you play every team in your conference once, best records move on. and with 1 less game you can lengthen the playoffsor increase the teams that make it.

i would not mind seeing a soccer playoff like setup. aggregate score, similar to how they solve ties now. score head to head from 2 games.

8 teams make it.
team 1 plays team 2 twice. T1 loses away game (35-34) but wins home game (36-34) T1 wins 70-69. if it ends in a tie, you go to normal overtime rules right then because T1 had home field advantage.

you could do it all the way up to the SB and the team still plays 22 games. but the SB being a neutral site it is only 1 game.

also that 2nd game could get very interesting game-planning wise. and will also reward teams that make the playoffs with added stadium revenue, and the fans get to see their team in the playoffs, in person.
Sponsors on the jerseys to help out.

It looks like garbo, but it seems like it has to be done.
Share 49ersWebzone