LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Marcellus Wiley says NFL culture still has "no tolerance" for homosexuality

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by crzy:
lol you guys are funny.

The "I won't be comfortable with gay guys looking at me in the shower" argument is dumb.

Female reporters walk into NFL locker rooms all the time while naked athletes are walking around.

If there was an open gay athlete in a locker room....I would bet money that the gay guy would be more uncomfortable then the homophobic athletes who were staring at him.

NO WAY! CHICKS LOOKING AT YOU NAKED! THAT WOULD SUCK!

you think Adrian Peterson would care the same if elton john was looking at him naked than erin andrews? Im sure he'd be shaking in his cleats in uncomfortableness if Erin Andrews cruised into the locker room.

and we are not talking about uncomfortableness, we're talking about how it would just kinda suck going to work every day with a guy who is openly gay, and having to walk around with him in a shower. How do you not understand that?
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
lol you guys are funny.

The "I won't be comfortable with gay guys looking at me in the shower" argument is dumb.

Female reporters walk into NFL locker rooms all the time while naked athletes are walking around.

If there was an open gay athlete in a locker room....I would bet money that the gay guy would be more uncomfortable then the homophobic athletes who were staring at him.

you think Adrian Peterson would care the same if elton john was looking at him naked than erin andrews? Im sure he'd be shaking in his cleats in uncomfortableness if Erin Andrews cruised into the locker room.

and we are not talking about uncomfortableness, we're talking about how it would just kinda suck going to work every day with a guy who is openly gay, and having to walk around with him in a shower. How do you not understand that?

Exactly. I'm sorry but that would make my day a lot worse if I was a football player. s**t at my HS we had people who might not have actually BEEN gay, but acted gay at times just screwing around in the showers in the lockerroom, and it annoyed me. My cousin who actually does play football said he would definitely not want to have a gay player in the showers, or atleast openly gay and acting gay. I don't hate gay people or anything but I sure as hell wouldn't want to take a shower with one!
lol you guys are funny.

because it doesn't suck to have to go to work every day and lie about who you are?
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by kray28:
Hearst got in trouble just a short decade ago for basically saying the same thing in a slightly less diplomatic fashion....he was roasted by the NFL, the media, and the team and forced to apologize.

But the truth is that while the NFL is happy to pay political lip service to the gay community, it has unwritten rules about what basically amounts to a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy when it comes to homosexuals in the locker room.

A certain component of a player's success is political...the coach and your peers have to like you enough to want to play with you. Being gay basically limits that possibility totally and completely. So if you re in fact gay, you better not let them know.

Someone has to break the barrier, man. It was the same for black players at one time too. Someone will eventually!

but homosexuality isnt a race its a choice, thats y they will never break the barrier.

I'm sorry, I respect alot of opinions of other people on the Webzone, but I think it is offensive to society to think that being gay is a choice! I have several friends who I know from when I was in college that are gay. Believe me, it isn't a choice. And no matter what, I support them 100%! Even gays guys have standards. Much like most men, they don't check out everyone.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
lol you guys are funny.

Why?

Why is it any different?

Your line of thinking is childish.

Sheesh. It's not like a gay NFL player is going to go around grabbing his teammates asses.

He's going to handle his business and get the f**k out of there.
[ Edited by crzy on Jul 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Charles Haley went around masturbating openly in the locker room.

Magic Johnson had threesomes with women in the team sauna.

And nobody blinked.

There already are closeted gay NFL players and gay NBA players. They simply handle their business, act professional, and don't bother anyone. And they should able to do that openly.
Hearst got in trouble just a short decade ago for basically saying the same thing in a slightly less diplomatic fashion....he was roasted by the NFL, the media, and the team and forced to apologize.

But the truth is that while the NFL is happy to pay political lip service to the gay community, it has unwritten rules about what basically amounts to a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy when it comes to homosexuals in the locker room.

A certain component of a player's success is political...the coach and your peers have to like you enough to want to play with you. Being gay basically limits that possibility totally and completely. So if you re in fact gay, you better not let them know.

Someone has to break the barrier, man. It was the same for black players at one time too. Someone will eventually!

but homosexuality isnt a race its a choice, thats y they will never break the barrier.

I'm sorry, I respect alot of opinions of other people on the Webzone, but I think it is offensive to society to think that being gay is a choice! I have several friends who I know from when I was in college that are gay. Believe me, it isn't a choice. And no matter what, I support them 100%! Even gays guys have standards. Much like most men, they don't check out everyone.

It's not like we're talking about the chess club here. We're talking about professional athletes.

I think crzy made a great point about women being allowed in the locker room, but let's face it only unwanted advances/ glances makes people uncomfortable. There's a reason why women dress the way they do but then get offended when you stare.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM ]
lol you guys are funny.

Why?

Why is it any different?

Sheesh. It's not like a gay NFL player is going to go around grabbing his teammates asses.

Yeah because football players never slap each other butts.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 19, 2010 at 9:01 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
lol you guys are funny.

Why?

Why is it any different?

Yeah because football players never slap each other asses. Oh wait they do that all of time.

agree to disagree crzy. you think players would be cool with openly gay guys in the locker room, and i don't. Theres nothing wrong with gay people, and they should be allowed to be open and play professional sports, but it won't happen in football IMO. Is that wrong? for sure, but that doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

This.

IIRC, Hearst's exact words were "I don't want no f**king f****ts on my team. I don't want to have to worry about dropping the soap."
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
If there can be an active, openly gay or bisexual rugby player who is accepted, then there will eventually be an active, openly gay accepted NFL player or an NBA player.

lol You're acting like they'd be checking out dudes who are playing dungeons and dragons or whatever. There's a big difference between any random person and an extremely fit and most likely tall athlete. Of course they'd check those guys out.

I'm sorry but it's alot easier for you guys to say "well they should be allowed to be openly gay etc. no matter what because they're having to lie about who they are" and then actually being in a lockerroom with people who are acting or maybe actually are gay. Number one its f**king annoying, number two you get paranoid, and number three its rather awkward. You guys aren't the people who have to deal with it.

As far as crzy's comment how they just get changed etc. and get on their way and get out if they're allowed to be gay, isn't that what the closeted homos do NOW? The main difference is your scenario where they do that creeps everyone in the lockerroom out and they cause a distraction for the team vs they can just keep their stuff private and still do what they want anyway! Just because I like girls doesn't mean I go around telling everyone "YEAH I LIKE TITTIES AND VAGINAS, WOOHOO!", is that me "lying" about who I am? No. If you're just doing business your sexual preferences don't need to be broadcast because it only needs to be your business anyway. I don't see how their sexual preferences have anything to do with their career, other than they want to be openly gay so gay people can be even more popular and they can have more attention.
If there can be an active, openly gay or bisexual rugby player who is accepted, then there will eventually be an active, openly gay accepted NFL player or an NBA player.

Someone has to break the barrier. It will happen eventually!
I think there is plenty of tolerance for a homosexual to play the game.

There is zero tolerance when it comes to a gay person in the LOCKER ROOM. I play adult league hockey every week and I would just consider it to be completely rude for a gay person to dress in the same locker room as me. Go get dressed in the bathroom or in your own locker room and meet us out on the ice. Just like I wouldn't consider it appropriate for a female hockey player to dress in our locker room.
Share 49ersWebzone