There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Marcellus Wiley says NFL culture still has "no tolerance" for homosexuality

It's gay to be gay.
I don't care, what they do off the field is whatever. I don't even see why people are so caring for gay people now anyway. They can do whatever they want or whatever but they don't need to be sharing it in the locker room. If they don't like not being able to act gay there or whatever they can retire and pass up the millions of dollars and go work at best buy or wal mart or jc penney or something like everything else. These guys are like gladiators out there and brothers basically and for one of them to be checking his teammates out in the lockerroom would undermine all of that and that's the truth and that's what all the players themselves think. It don't mean they hate gay people or I hate gay people it just means they don't want to be in a shower with an openly gay person and that's perfectly fine.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by kray28:
Hearst got in trouble just a short decade ago for basically saying the same thing in a slightly less diplomatic fashion....he was roasted by the NFL, the media, and the team and forced to apologize.

But the truth is that while the NFL is happy to pay political lip service to the gay community, it has unwritten rules about what basically amounts to a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy when it comes to homosexuals in the locker room.

A certain component of a player's success is political...the coach and your peers have to like you enough to want to play with you. Being gay basically limits that possibility totally and completely. So if you re in fact gay, you better not let them know.

Someone has to break the barrier, man. It was the same for black players at one time too. Someone will eventually!

I don't think it will happen anytime soon, and I think football and their non guaranteed contracts makes it the worse sport to be the guy who opens that can of worms. I don't think immediate job security is the problem. If the guy had job security before a team is going to have a very hard time cutting the guy given the backlash they'd receive. Long term though the guy could be committing financial suicide. If his gayness is a stick of dynamite in the locker room he just screwed himself out of millions of dollars.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
It's gay to be gay.

exactly
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I don't care, what they do off the field is whatever. I don't even see why people are so caring for gay people now anyway. They can do whatever they want or whatever but they don't need to be sharing it in the locker room. If they don't like not being able to act gay there or whatever they can retire and pass up the millions of dollars and go work at best buy or wal mart or jc penney or something like everything else. These guys are like gladiators out there and brothers basically and for one of them to be checking his teammates out in the lockerroom would undermine all of that and that's the truth and that's what all the players themselves think. It don't mean they hate gay people or I hate gay people it just means they don't want to be in a shower with an openly gay person and that's perfectly fine.

This.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
gay people arent good at football anyways
[ Edited by ImaMod on Jul 17, 2010 at 9:55 AM ]
idk, prolly just me

When I hear people talk about homosexuality in the NFL

Marcellus Wiley is the one people always talk with
Why does everyone have to be so PC all the time? I have nothing to hide, i have no prejudice or hate towards gays in any way, but i can say that they absolutely should not come out during their careers. No sh*t the NFL culture has "no tolerance" for that. Do you know how awkward every locker room would be with him? Im surprised Tony Romo has made it this far, when he retires and comes out of the closet, no one should be surprised.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Why does everyone have to be so PC all the time? I have nothing to hide, i have no prejudice or hate towards gays in any way, but i can say that they absolutely should not come out during their careers. No sh*t the NFL culture has "no tolerance" for that. Do you know how awkward every locker room would be with him? Im surprised Tony Romo has made it this far, when he retires and comes out of the closet, no one should be surprised.

it doesn't have anything to do with "being PC", it has to do with being able to do your job and live your life. Those things shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Yes, the NFL culture isn't tolerant, and it will talk an extremely brave person to be openly gay and an active player in the NFL, but that doesn't mean that its "okay."
Jeff garcia????

Tony Romo might be the guy who can pull it off unscathed. When your ex list contains Jessica Simpson, Carrie Underwood, and Kelly Clarkson then you can pretty much do anyone else and still be ahead.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

it doesn't have anything to do with "being PC", it has to do with being able to do your job and live your life. Those things shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Yes, the NFL culture isn't tolerant, and it will talk an extremely brave person to be openly gay and an active player in the NFL, but that doesn't mean that its "okay."

You're wrong. This would be like them checking out teammates and stuff in the showers and that's bad. Or holding gay pep rallies or whatever and calling a bunch of attention to themselves. Half the reason TO doesn't have a job now is because people look at him as a distraction, not that he's gay or he's a criminal but he calls a lot of attention to himself. This guy calling a lot of attention to himself would undermine the team, the teammates would always be asked about it, it'd be extremely awkward in the showers, etc. Every other player is pretty much not supposed to call a lot of attention to themselves for any reason except their play on the field. Look at Romo when he dated Jessica Simpson. He got somewhat ripped for it and it was a bit of a distraction for them and then they were always asking his teammates about who he was dating and his relationship and fans showing up to games with masks of her face and stuff. Nobody is saying a gay player couldn't nail other dudes off the field and stuff and have parties with people they want to party with, they're just saying that pretty much just like any other player they need to STFU and play while they're on the field and keep a low profile by not causing any distractions. What they do off the field is their own business and when their career is over its their own business. But not when they're an active member of the team.

You're wrong. This would be like them checking out teammates and stuff in the showers and that's bad. Or holding gay pep rallies or whatever and calling a bunch of attention to themselves. Half the reason TO doesn't have a job now is because people look at him as a distraction, not that he's gay or he's a criminal but he calls a lot of attention to himself. This guy calling a lot of attention to himself would undermine the team, the teammates would always be asked about it, it'd be extremely awkward in the showers, etc. Every other player is pretty much not supposed to call a lot of attention to themselves for any reason except their play on the field. Look at Romo when he dated Jessica Simpson. He got somewhat ripped for it and it was a bit of a distraction for them and then they were always asking his teammates about who he was dating and his relationship and fans showing up to games with masks of her face and stuff. Nobody is saying a gay player couldn't nail other dudes off the field and stuff and have parties with people they want to party with, they're just saying that pretty much just like any other player they need to STFU and play while they're on the field and keep a low profile by not causing any distractions. What they do off the field is their own business and when their career is over its their own business. But not when they're an active member of the team.

look at Jackie Robinson. I can't believe that guy called all that attention to himself!

look at Jackie Robinson. I can't believe that guy called all that attention to himself!

lol How can you even compare the 2? Jackie was black and people cant help their skin color, they are what they are and thats fine. He was a really talented athlete. Im sure some gay people are talented athletes too but they can hide that their gay from the general public or not call attention to it, and its totally different because theres nothing perveted/sick about Jackie/any black player walking around the club house or shower or whatever while there's definitely something sick about an openly gay guy walking around in a shower of straight ones.

I mean damn, its like if you were in a lockerroom full of hot chicks who are in great shape or whatever, like a supermodel shower or whatever, most guys would be going crazy. Now that's like how a gay guy would be like in a lockerroom of other guys especially athletes who are mostly in really good shape probably.

It is different though. You can be a gay athlete and play in the NFL. All you have to do is keep your mouth shut about it. You can't hide the color of your skin. Point being this is a distaction you can easily avoid.

I've never bought that gays don't take looks in the showers. Gay men are still men.