• Veteran
Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Bethea's a great safety, he was awesome this year. Hes easily top 5 safetys IMO

Dashon is gonna have to repeat his 2009 year to get anywhere near the amount hes asking for.

Dashon's going to have to improve on his 2009 year to get anywhere near the same amount hes asking for.

I wouldnt say that, his 2009 campaign was better than Bethea`s 2009 season.

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints

So stats decide which of these 2 players had better seasons ? What about game film and differences in defensive schemes (which results in how each player is used in their particular defensive scheme) ?

So because Goldson had 2 sacks and a forced fumble more than Bethea that means he had a better season ? Cause that's what you just said.

Um yeah, stats do define players. Stats are even written into their contracts as incentives.

And you better believe thats the first thing his agent will bring up in negotiations too.

Keep in mind those numbers came in his first year as a starter while Bethea was in his 4th year.

And a team can easily bring there own stats....missed tackles, big plays surrendered etc....stats are not what a team is going to use to determine whether a player should be given a large chunk of change. It will be part of the formula, but it is not what defines the player or his play. How the player fits the scheme and what is asked of him + what he has done on film is what defines the player, the stats are the icing on the cake.

If stats define the player then Leon Hall >>>>>>>> Darrelle Revis.

Hall = 71 tackles, 6 INT's, 2 FF's

Revis = 54 tackles, 6 INT's, 0 FF's
Originally posted by Niners99:
i said if you take away ONE GAME. in that one game he did gain a ton of his stats.

holy frick the football IQ on this board is on the retard level....

he had ONE big game against AZ. ONE. take away the stats from that ONE game, and his production for the entire season drops significantly. i was also just pointing out that all his FF, INT, PD, and sacks came in games against crappy opponents.

he cant cover, and he only performs against crappy teams. not exactly the reputation you want. the blind homerism for this guy is unbelievable. people like you are actually making me dislike a decent young S on my own team, just because of the over the top bias.

that AZ game last year was the only reason people are in love with him now. period. if he doesnt play that day, were all talking about "IF" Goldson will eventually get better and be a starting caliber S. instead, were all talking "WHEN" he makes the pro bowl and gets a Bethea contract.

Actually, you implied that Goldson's statistics came against bad teams (and Arizona) and thus should be negated. That's not how football works, sir.

Obviously, Goldson has a ways to go before he's considered a top safety in the NFL. However, simply choosing to ignore certain games in which he excelled in is a data-snooping bias.

Should we take away the yards Frank Gore gained against teams with a losing record? Erase Vernon Davis' touchdowns against poor performers?

I believe the original poster (and many of the, erm, retards) implied that because Bethea had signed a large contract, Goldson will likely shoot for something around that number, though likely less.
To be honest i think Goldson is already better then Bethea....
Originally posted by Grigga2021:

Just curious, What round was Bethea drafted in?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

6th
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

6th

Wow, i guess they got a steal.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Dashon is gonna have to repeat his 2009 year to get anywhere near the amount hes asking for.

agreed
  • evil
  • Veteran

Based on what ?

Bethea
missed tackles : 10
thrown at : 26
receptions made in players coverage : 13
% : 50
yards gained in players coverage : 229
yac in players coverage : 47
opposing QB's ratings in players coverage zone : 53.7

Goldson
missed tackles : 13
thrown at : 52
receptions made in players coverage : 34
% : 65.4
yards gained in players coverage : 438
yac in players coverage : 130
opposing QB's ratings in players coverage zone : 78.8

Since you guys like stats so much, the above which come from ProFootballFocus.

Dashon isnt the first guy I'd resign and he is not going to get as much money as he wants, but this young safety is one of the TOP reasons we had a top-five run defense. Not to mention, a main reason we excelled in red-zone defense, and a big, Big reason we had so few long gains on the ground against us. His value to us is worth an extention. His play dramaticly stepped up with the improvement of our pass rush at the end of the year, a la Brooks. Give credit guys; look at the Colts game. Hes a big part to our defense, the best on the back-end.

Im willing to bet that our lacking on pass defense last year was more of a knock on our other guys pass coverage than on Goldsons inability. The dude cant be everywhere, but seems to be in the play more than our other cover guys all game long. He is the truth when you look at how bad our passrush and the rest of the secondary is...

T. Brown starting...
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Dashon's going to have to improve on his 2009 year to get anywhere near the same amount hes asking for.

I wouldnt say that, his 2009 campaign was better than Bethea`s 2009 season.

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints

Gotta love stats. Hard to argue with that. Goldson knows that he has to produce this year as well and then he will be handsomely rewarded.

in this case, stats are deceptive. Goldson was awful at coverage, and they didnt post how many missed tackles he had. if the 49ers give anywhere NEAR that kind of money to him, ill be pissed.

when teams throw at you because you suck at coverage, 94 tackles isnt that impressive.

So what if he made all those tackles? Wouldn't he get even more money?

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by redrathman:
if you take away his huge game against AZ on MNF, he falls down to 88 tackles, 2 sacks (both in blowout wins against STL), 1 FF, 3 int, 4 pd.

i cant beleive how overrated Goldson is getting. people keep saying hes going to be a pro bowler, and oh man he just got richer because a top 5 NFL safety got paid! give me a break.

his 4 picks were off Seneca Wallace, Drew Stanton, Jay Cutler in his 5 pick game, and Kurt Warner in one of the worst games hes ever played.

look at which games he performed in...against bad teams with bad offenses. i want to see him step it up and make plays against great teams. we saw it ONCE last year against AZ, and thats the whole reason everyones on his nuts.

Translation: Hey guys, if we take away all of Dashon Goldson's statistics, he sucks!

lmao! Perfect Rathman b/c that's exactly what he did. lol

i said if you take away ONE GAME. in that one game he did gain a ton of his stats.

holy frick the football IQ on this board is on the retard level....

he had ONE big game against AZ. ONE. take away the stats from that ONE game, and his production for the entire season drops significantly. i was also just pointing out that all his FF, INT, PD, and sacks came in games against crappy opponents.

he cant cover, and he only performs against crappy teams. not exactly the reputation you want. the blind homerism for this guy is unbelievable. people like you are actually making me dislike a decent young S on my own team, just because of the over the top bias.

that AZ game last year was the only reason people are in love with him now. period. if he doesnt play that day, were all talking about "IF" Goldson will eventually get better and be a starting caliber S. instead, were all talking "WHEN" he makes the pro bowl and gets a Bethea contract.

If you take away Bethea's game vs Miami (8 tackles and 1 pick) he has 87 tackles and 3 picks. You can do this with anyone.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Based on what ?

Bethea
missed tackles : 10
thrown at : 26
receptions made in players coverage : 13
% : 50
yards gained in players coverage : 229
yac in players coverage : 47
opposing QB's ratings in players coverage zone : 53.7

Goldson
missed tackles : 13
thrown at : 52
receptions made in players coverage : 34
% : 65.4
yards gained in players coverage : 438
yac in players coverage : 130
opposing QB's ratings in players coverage zone : 78.8

Since you guys like stats so much, the above which come from ProFootballFocus.

and thats proof that goldson is overrrated

Bethea is a beast in coverage.
Hes a better COVER safety than his team mate, Bob Sanders IMO, but Bob Sanders can do it all, and has amazing speed.

He's going to have to repeat 2009 and then give a little extra.
*Sigh* Well.....
Share 49ersWebzone