LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Dashon Goldson's Price Just got HIGHER

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Niners99:
if you take away his huge game against AZ on MNF, he falls down to 88 tackles, 2 sacks (both in blowout wins against STL), 1 FF, 3 int, 4 pd.

i cant beleive how overrated Goldson is getting. people keep saying hes going to be a pro bowler, and oh man he just got richer because a top 5 NFL safety got paid! give me a break.

his 4 picks were off Seneca Wallace, Drew Stanton, Jay Cutler in his 5 pick game, and Kurt Warner in one of the worst games hes ever played.

look at which games he performed in...against bad teams with bad offenses. i want to see him step it up and make plays against great teams. we saw it ONCE last year against AZ, and thats the whole reason everyones on his nuts.

Translation: Hey guys, if we take away all of Dashon Goldson's statistics, he sucks!
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Bethea's a great safety, he was awesome this year. Hes easily top 5 safetys IMO

Dashon is gonna have to repeat his 2009 year to get anywhere near the amount hes asking for.

Dashon's going to have to improve on his 2009 year to get anywhere near the same amount hes asking for.

I wouldnt say that, his 2009 campaign was better than Bethea`s 2009 season.

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints

So stats decide which of these 2 players had better seasons ? What about game film and differences in defensive schemes (which results in how each player is used in their particular defensive scheme) ?

So because Goldson had 2 sacks and a forced fumble more than Bethea that means he had a better season ? Cause that's what you just said.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Dashon is gonna have to repeat his 2009 year to get anywhere near the amount hes asking for.

Dashon's going to have to improve on his 2009 year to get anywhere near the same amount hes asking for.

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints

So stats decide which of these 2 players had better seasons ? What about game film and differences in defensive schemes (which results in how each player is used in their particular defensive scheme) ?

So because Goldson had 2 sacks and a forced fumble more than Bethea that means he had a better season ? Cause that's what you just said.

Um yeah, stats do define players. Stats are even written into their contracts as incentives.

And you better believe thats the first thing his agent will bring up in negotiations too.

Keep in mind those numbers came in his first year as a starter while Bethea was in his 4th year.

[ Edited by Dominate on Jun 11, 2010 at 15:04:39 ]
This is huge!!

He was going to ask for 5.5 million and now it's going to be 5.6 million!!!

Unless Goldson goes to the probowl, I hope he doesn't get his $7M from us.

Goldson also strikes me as the guy who'd leave the organization for an extra million.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jun 11, 2010 at 16:27:20 ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Unless Goldson doesn't go to the probowl, I hope he doesn't get his $7M from us.

Goldson also strikes me as the guy who'd leave the organization for an extra million.

-9fA

agreed. For him to even ask for 7 mil in the first place says it all.
Originally posted by redrathman:
if you take away his huge game against AZ on MNF, he falls down to 88 tackles, 2 sacks (both in blowout wins against STL), 1 FF, 3 int, 4 pd.

i cant beleive how overrated Goldson is getting. people keep saying hes going to be a pro bowler, and oh man he just got richer because a top 5 NFL safety got paid! give me a break.

his 4 picks were off Seneca Wallace, Drew Stanton, Jay Cutler in his 5 pick game, and Kurt Warner in one of the worst games hes ever played.

look at which games he performed in...against bad teams with bad offenses. i want to see him step it up and make plays against great teams. we saw it ONCE last year against AZ, and thats the whole reason everyones on his nuts.

Translation: Hey guys, if we take away all of Dashon Goldson's statistics, he sucks!

lmao! Perfect Rathman b/c that's exactly what he did. lol
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints

Um yeah, stats do define players. Stats are even written into their contracts as incentives.

And you better believe thats the first thing his agent will bring up in negotiations too.

Keep in mind those numbers came in his first year as a starter while Bethea was in his 4th year.

The thing is, Goldson is going to look at those stats and say he did just as well.

I think Maiocco noted that Lawson is/could be disgruntled with his contract because of the LB who got a huge pay day (can't remember if it's Pace or someone else) and they had the same number of sacks.

So while there is a lot more than stats, I don't think it's far fetched to say Goldson will use them to compare himself to other top safetys that are getting new contracts. It's not a hard idea to grasp although their thinking might have flaws.

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints

Stats aren't everything dude. Our pass defense was in the bottom third of the league while the Colts were a very good pass defense. He was also one of the leaders in missed tackles. Tackles can be very deceptive, as someone getting beat for 20 yards and then tackling the receiver does not mean he made a good play.

In only one game was he anything more than an average player in the secondry, which was against Arizona. Our pass defense was atrocious for the majority of the year. You don't give top 5 safety money to someone who had one good game and isn't even the best player on a below average secondary. This is how you get yourself in salary cap hell really quickly.

I'm not saying he can't be a good player, he played like a top 15 safety during the last 3rd of the season but at this moment Goldson is not close to being an elite player in this league and definitely not at the caliber of someone like Bethea and does not deserve anywhere close to top 5 safety money. I'd love it if he turned into a top 10- top 5 safety in this league and if he did I'd be all for paying him, but right now....please.
I have yet to be impressed with Goldson. I like the kid, he just hasn't show me enough. We haven't had a decent couple guys back there since Parrish and Schulters...I like Lewis and all but 9/10 times he's on the line playing the run...feels like he's a 5th LB. I hope Goldson really kicks it up a notch this year and I hope Mays follows.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Goldson is doing whats right for him in terms of his bank account.
Originally posted by Joecool:
This is huge!!

He was going to ask for 5.5 million and now it's going to be 5.6 million!!!

F**k Goldson's crazy for price huge moneys? damn you "goldson"... He didn't enough for us yet!! meh... better give him price for 2 millions for 2 years..
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by redrathman:

lmao! Perfect Rathman b/c that's exactly what he did. lol

i said if you take away ONE GAME. in that one game he did gain a ton of his stats.

holy frick the football IQ on this board is on the retard level....

he had ONE big game against AZ. ONE. take away the stats from that ONE game, and his production for the entire season drops significantly. i was also just pointing out that all his FF, INT, PD, and sacks came in games against crappy opponents.

he cant cover, and he only performs against crappy teams. not exactly the reputation you want. the blind homerism for this guy is unbelievable. people like you are actually making me dislike a decent young S on my own team, just because of the over the top bias.

that AZ game last year was the only reason people are in love with him now. period. if he doesnt play that day, were all talking about "IF" Goldson will eventually get better and be a starting caliber S. instead, were all talking "WHEN" he makes the pro bowl and gets a Bethea contract.
I have no idea why people are putting Goldson in the same class as Rolle and Bathea and other top notch safeties. Goldson has started for only one year since he was drafted, and looked like garbage in years past. He played well last year, but it was only for one year. If he has another great year then let's talk.
The whole "take way stats" thing is pretty ridiculous imo because where do you stop? For example, if you take away Smith's TDs against Green Bay and Houston when the game "was already lost by halftime", then you have to take away the touchdowns and yards from Davis and Crabtree right?

What about Gore's yards and touchdowns against crappy teams, if you take away his 207 yards against Seattle than he doesn't have a 1k yard season. The whole thing is just kind of silly to me because you can go on and on. I remember Maiocco responding to a question about how if you take away Gore's stats against Seattle then his season isn't that impressive because that game skewed his stats, and his response was something like "well too bad you can't take them away because it happened".

And I don't think the problem is so much that fans might consider Goldson a top or rising safety. He reportedly wants a contract around 7 million a year, so it's Goldson that considers himself a top safety and will demand that type of money if contract negotiations get going again, and that's why it will be tough to resign him because of his own perceived value. It's just how some players are
Share 49ersWebzone