LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Dashon Goldson's Price Just got HIGHER

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/11/antoine-bethea-is-a-rich-man/

Antoine Bethea is a rich man
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 11, 2010 1:51 PM ET
One down, three Colts veterans to go.

Indianapolis agreed to terms with safety Antonie Bethea on a four-year, $27 million contract, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Bethea is due $18 million over the next two years.

On one hand, it's surprising to see Bethea get paid before Peyton Manning. But this was a simpler deal to finish and the Colts clearly placed a priority on Bethea over disgruntled veterans Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne, who both have two years left on their deal.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Bethea's a great safety, he was awesome this year. Hes easily top 5 safetys IMO
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Dashon is gonna have to repeat his 2009 year to get anywhere near the amount hes asking for.
DG is smoking some strong ish if he beleives he deserves that kind of cheese after 1 year of starting
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Dashon is gonna have to repeat his 2009 year to get anywhere near the amount hes asking for.

agreed
Goldson really hasn't proved s**t. I love the dude, but he can't possibly ask for anything close to that.

Dashon's going to have to improve on his 2009 year to get anywhere near the same amount hes asking for.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Dashon's going to have to improve on his 2009 year to get anywhere near the same amount hes asking for.

I wouldnt say that, his 2009 campaign was better than Bethea`s 2009 season.

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Allx9er:
DG is smoking some strong ish if he beleives he deserves that kind of cheese after 1 year of starting
Originally posted by Dominate:

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints

Gotta love stats. Hard to argue with that. Goldson knows that he has to produce this year as well and then he will be handsomely rewarded.

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints

I want to see Goldson play 2 years in a row without an injury.
got this from Sando mid week don't think ti was posted

The San Francisco 49ers finally gave Dashon Goldson a chance at free safety last season and it was the right call. Goldson's athleticism enhanced the defense. A breakout game against the Arizona Cardinals on "Monday Night Football" validated Goldson as an up-and-coming player in the division.

Where does he go from here?

Goldson's decision to fire his agent during contract negotiations early this offseason came amid reports Goldson was determined to leverage a contract far more valuable than the 49ers were prepared to pay for a player with only one good season on his résumé. It sounded as though Goldson might be getting ahead of himself. Goldson hired Drew Rosenhaus, then watched another Rosenhaus client, Antrel Rolle, jump from the Arizona Cardinals to the New York Giants for big bucks. Rolle was coming off a Pro Bowl appearance. He had been a top-10 overall draft choice and had shown playmaking ability over time. Goldson was just starting out by comparison.

I caught up with Goldson after a 49ers practice this week and tried to get a feel for his mindset and how it might affect his approach to the season. Goldson did say he was seeking a more aggressive approach to negotiations. He described Rosenhaus as a "shark" who "smells blood" and will show the aggressiveness Goldson sees in himself on the field. Goldson also seemed to realize he'll need another strong season to command the sort of deal he wants. He described his tackling as better than some critics have suggested while acknowledging he needs to become more consistent by taking better angles and showing more patience in coverage. A little patience on the contract front could be in order as well.

"Obviously, they are real patient about it and careful about who they give the money to," Goldson said of the 49ers, "but I don't see myself not getting a deal done here. I know they respect me and like what I'm doing here and I want to be here, so I'm sure something will work out. I don't think they have a problem playing athletes."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Bethea
95 tak
0 sack
2 ff
4 ints

Goldson
94 tak
2 sack
3 ff
4 ints

Gotta love stats. Hard to argue with that. Goldson knows that he has to produce this year as well and then he will be handsomely rewarded.

in this case, stats are deceptive. Goldson was awful at coverage, and they didnt post how many missed tackles he had. if the 49ers give anywhere NEAR that kind of money to him, ill be pissed.

when teams throw at you because you suck at coverage, 94 tackles isnt that impressive.
if you take away his huge game against AZ on MNF, he falls down to 88 tackles, 2 sacks (both in blowout wins against STL), 1 FF, 3 int, 4 pd.

i cant beleive how overrated Goldson is getting. people keep saying hes going to be a pro bowler, and oh man he just got richer because a top 5 NFL safety got paid! give me a break.

his 4 picks were off Seneca Wallace, Drew Stanton, Jay Cutler in his 5 pick game, and Kurt Warner in one of the worst games hes ever played.

look at which games he performed in...against bad teams with bad offenses. i want to see him step it up and make plays against great teams. we saw it ONCE last year against AZ, and thats the whole reason everyones on his nuts.
Little known fact: Antoine Bethea led the league in awkward facial hair last season.

Share 49ersWebzone