LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Your "Best to Ever Play The Game" Team

Shop 49ers game tickets
It's the off-season. It's slow. This afternoon I was thinking about how we as 49ers fans are lucky to have so many players (at least in my opinion) that were the best to ever play the game at their position.

I'm curious as to what your selections would be as the best to ever play at each position. Post your picks in the following format as I do mine:

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Barry Sanders
WR - Jerry Rice
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OG - Randall McDaniel (tough choice, Larry Allen had six 1st-team All Pros, McDaniel had nine)
OT - Anthony Munoz
C - Bruce Matthews

DT - Reggie White
DE - Bruce Smith
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Darrell Green
S - Ronnie Lott

K - Morten Andersen
P - Ray Guy

Coach - Bill Walsh

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 8, 2010 at 14:53:57 ]
K- Jose Cortez
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It's the off-season. It's slow. This afternoon I was thinking about how we as 49ers fans are lucky to have so many players (at least in my opinion) that were the best to ever play the game at their position.

I'm curious as to what your selections would be as the best to ever play at each position. Post your picks in the following format as I do mine:

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Barry Sanders
WR - Jerry Rice
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OG - Randall McDaniel (tough choice, Larry Allen had six 1st-team All Pros, McDaniel had nine)
OT - Anthony Munoz
C - Bruce Matthews

DT - Reggie White
DE - Bruce Smith
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Darrell Green
S - Ronnie Lott

K - Morten Andersen
P - Ray Guy

Coach - Bill Walsh

agreed

OLB - L. Taylor (although its really close)

CB - D. Sanders (again really close)

But overall I think you are spot on. And yes the offseason is really long.

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Barry Sanders
WR - Jerry Rice
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OT - Anthony Munoz
C - Bruce Matthews

DT - Reggie White
DE - Bruce Smith
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Darrell Green
S - Ronnie Lott

K - Morten Andersen
P - Ray Guy

Coach - Bill Walsh

QB- This is probably the hardest position to pick from. There are many deserving candidates. I would have to go with Joe Montana though because of his rings and his ability to win. He wasn't the most physically gifted, but he was a winner.
RB- Emmitt Smith. All-time NFL rushing leader. He had no Pro Bowlers on his o-line before he showed up, but then people started talking about how we had one of the greatest lines of all-time. The year after winning the Super Bowl Emmitt held out for the first two games. We went 0-2. Then Emmitt came back and we ended up winning the Super Bowl.
FB- Moose Johnston. The man blocking for Emmitt.
WR- Jerry Rice. This was a no-brainer. He's called the GOAT for good reason.
TE- This is a tough one because the NFL has turned into a passing league recently, so some TE's have inflated yardage compared to their past contemporaries. I think I would have to go with Tony G though.
OT- Anthony Munoz. A great great player. Boomer Esiason greatly benefitted from having him upfront.
OG- Larry Allen. The only professional football player I've heard of where his opponents would come down with "mysterious injuries" right before having to go up against him. Superhuman strength and amazing agility in his prime.
OC- Bruce Matthews.

DE- Reggie White. He was an unstoppable pass rusher.
DT- Bob Lilly. He's not called Mr. Cowboy for no reason. The team's first ever draft pick he more than lived up to where he was picked. 11 time Pro Bowl selection, 7 time First Team All Pro, and 2 time Second Team All Pro, his credentials speak for themselves.
MLB- Ray Lewis. Great player, even greater leader. Brings an intensity with him that is contagious. Without him the Ravens don't win that Super Bowl.
OLB- Lawrence Taylor. Say what you will about his off-field problems, but the guy was a terror on the field. He truly is the greatest OLB of all-time.
CB- Deion Sanders. Say what you will about his tackling, but he is the only corner in NFL history to practically shut down half of the field. According to STATS LLC from 1995-1998 here are Deion's numbers.
1995 -- 16-for-47, 158 yards, 0 TD (9 games)
1996 -- 22-for-46, 225 yards, 0 TD (16 games)
1997 -- 12-for-39, 159 yards, 0 TD (13 games)
1998 -- 20-for-42, 198 yards, 0 TD (11 games)
These numbers are just incredible.
S- Many times you hear about prospects they run like a corner and hit like a linebacker. Well there is only one player this has been true about. This man is Ronnie Lott. He was also tough as nails. I still remember the story about what he did with his pinkey so he could get back in the game.

K- Morten Anderson.
P- Ray Guy.
^^^ lmao your name is awesome. Homo4Romo
Originally posted by valrod33:

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Barry Sanders
WR - Jerry Rice
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OT - Anthony Munoz
C - Bruce Matthews

DT - Reggie White
DE - Bruce Smith
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Darrell Green
S - Ronnie Lott

K - Morten Andersen
P - Ray Guy

Coach - Bill Walsh

agreed

+1
My starters:

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Walter Payton, (Sanders may be a bit better, but Paytons love for the game gives sweetness the edge in my book)
FB- Jim Brown
WR - Jerry Rice, Steve Largent
TE - Tony Gonzales/Shanon Sharp
C - Randy Cross (Ok total Homer pick, I couldn't think of a center so what?)
OT - Art Shell, Anthony Munoz
OG - Gene Upshaw, Larry Allen

DE - Reggie White, Bruce Smith
DT - Bryant Young, Joe Green
OLB - Lawrence Taylor, Junior Seau
ILB - Ray Lewis, Mike Singltary
CB - Deion Sanders, Derell Green
S- Ronnie Lot, Steve Atwater

Coach- Bill Walsh
K - Morton Anderson
P - Don't need to carry a punter
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Barry Sanders
WR - Jerry Rice
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OT - Anthony Munoz
C - Bruce Matthews

DT - Reggie White
DE - Bruce Smith
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Darrell Green
S - Ronnie Lott

K - Morten Andersen
P - Ray Guy

Coach - Bill Walsh

I'd replace Barry Sanders with Jim Brown.

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Jim Brown
FB - Jim Brown
WR - Jerry Rice
TE - Shanon Sharp
C - Bruce Matthews
OT - Anthony Munoz
OG - Larry Allen

DE - Reggie White
DT - Bryant Young
OLB - Lawrence Taylor,
ILB - Ray Lewis
CB - Deion Sanders
S- Ronnie Lot

Coach- Bill Walsh
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Homo4Romo:

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Barry Sanders
WR - Jerry Rice
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OT - Anthony Munoz
C - Bruce Matthews

DT - Reggie White
DE - Bruce Smith
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Darrell Green
S - Ronnie Lott

K - Morten Andersen
P - Ray Guy

Coach - Bill Walsh

QB- This is probably the hardest position to pick from. There are many deserving candidates. I would have to go with Joe Montana though because of his rings and his ability to win. He wasn't the most physically gifted, but he was a winner.
RB- Emmitt Smith. All-time NFL rushing leader. He had no Pro Bowlers on his o-line before he showed up, but then people started talking about how we had one of the greatest lines of all-time. The year after winning the Super Bowl Emmitt held out for the first two games. We went 0-2. Then Emmitt came back and we ended up winning the Super Bowl.
TE- This is a tough one because the NFL has turned into a passing league recently, so some TE's have inflated yardage compared to their past contemporaries. I think I would have to go with Tony G though.
OT- Anthony Munoz. A great great player. Boomer Esiason greatly benefitted from having him upfront.
OG- Larry Allen. The only professional football player I've heard of where his opponents would come down with "mysterious injuries" right before having to go up against him. Superhuman strength and amazing agility in his prime.
OC- Bruce Matthews.

DT- Bob Lilly. He's not called Mr. Cowboy for no reason. The team's first ever draft pick he more than lived up to where he was picked. 11 time Pro Bowl selection, 7 time First Team All Pro, and 2 time Second Team All Pro, his credentials speak for themselves.
MLB- Ray Lewis. Great player, even greater leader. Brings an intensity with him that is contagious. Without him the Ravens don't win that Super Bowl.
OLB- Lawrence Taylor. Say what you will about his off-field problems, but the guy was a terror on the field. He truly is the greatest OLB of all-time.
CB- Deion Sanders. Say what you will about his tackling, but he is the only corner in NFL history to practically shut down half of the field. According to STATS LLC from 1995-1998 here are Deion's numbers.
S- Many times you hear about prospects they run like a corner and hit like a linebacker. Well there is only one player this has been true about. This man is Ronnie Lott. He was also tough as nails. I still remember the story about what he did with his pinkey so he could get back in the game.

K- Morten Anderson.
P- Ray Guy.

Dude...props on the class and detail of your posts.

True class there holmes.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
OLB - L. Taylor (although its really close)

CB - D. Sanders (again really close)

But overall I think you are spot on. And yes the offseason is really long.

Pretty much my only changes (though hesitant to change LT over D. Thomas).. I'll just say tie

I don't know enough about the O-line but those names sound good... and K/P? Again those names sound good
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Homo4Romo:

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Barry Sanders
WR - Jerry Rice
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OT - Anthony Munoz
C - Bruce Matthews

DT - Reggie White
DE - Bruce Smith
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Darrell Green
S - Ronnie Lott

K - Morten Andersen
P - Ray Guy

Coach - Bill Walsh

OC- Bruce Matthews.

K- Morten Anderson.
P- Ray Guy.

Dude...props on the class and detail of your posts.

True class there holmes.

Thanks. Football is an obsession for me .
Originally posted by HomestarRunner:
My starters:

QB - Joe Montana
RB - Walter Payton, (Sanders may be a bit better, but Paytons love for the game gives sweetness the edge in my book)
FB- Jim Brown
WR - Jerry Rice, Steve Largent
TE - Tony Gonzales/Shanon Sharp
C - Randy Cross (Ok total Homer pick, I couldn't think of a center so what?)
OT - Art Shell, Anthony Munoz
OG - Gene Upshaw, Larry Allen

DE - Reggie White, Bruce Smith
DT - Bryant Young, Joe Green
OLB - Lawrence Taylor, Junior Seau
ILB - Ray Lewis, Mike Singltary
CB - Deion Sanders, Derell Green
S- Ronnie Lot, Steve Atwater

Coach- Bill Walsh
K - Morton Anderson
P - Don't need to carry a punter

Too many men on the field, 5 yard penalty