LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Rams Notebook: Is Atogwe headed to San Francisco 49ers?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by JayEL49er:
Maybe instead of paying big $$ to Goldson (and his 1 year as a starter) we should give the same big $$ to Atogwe (and his 15 ints, 9 forced fumbles in the past 3 seasons).

We've had this discussion before.

Player 1 - 74 Tackles, 5 PD, 1 SK, 3 FF, 2 INT
Player 2 - 94 Tackles, 6 PD, 2 SK, 3 FF, 4 INT

Player 1 is 28 and coming off shoulder surgery.
Player 2 is 25 and played in every game last season.

Which would you want locked up long term?

...anyways, Goldson is better suited for SS. Atogwe would play FS.

No way goldson should move to SS he gets hurt all the time as a SS he gotta tackle more i don't see that happening
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Maybe instead of paying big $$ to Goldson (and his 1 year as a starter) we should give the same big $$ to Atogwe (and his 15 ints, 9 forced fumbles in the past 3 seasons).

No way goldson should move to SS he gets hurt all the time as a SS he gotta tackle more i don't see that happening

He already tallied 90+ tackles this season. How much more tackling could he possibly do?
Haven't we draft Taylor Mays then I would like our chances. I doubt we go after him though.
Originally posted by ualrod33:
Haven't we draft Taylor Mays then I would like our chances. I doubt we go after him though.

same
Originally posted by susweel:
Niners dont have good luck with players named OJ.

Goldson has the athletic ability to play both positions to be sure. In Manusky's defense, each Safety has to know every assignment. I don't necessarily believe that his skill set is better or worse for each particular position, when Manusky is going to ask him to do everything.

Lewis may not have the athletic ability to play Free Safety, but Taylor Mays does. I'd rather give him time to develop than jump the gun on Atogwe and lose Goldson next season.

Originally posted by KRS-1:
I believe you purposely forgot to mention that player 1 played in 4 games less than player 2, and let us also not forget player 2's team was much MUCH better at pressuring the opposing QB's which makes a world of difference in pass coverage.

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
You neglected to mention that Atogwe only played 12 games last year to come with those numbers. Nice slant.

Actually, I didn't. I noted that Atogwe had missed time due to injury (coming off shoulder surgery).

I do believe that within short term history, Atogwe has been the better player. However, when accounting for Goldson's age and experience, it's hard not to compare the two at the age of 25 and think the 49ers will get more from him during his prime than Atogwe at age 28.

OJ Atogwe's statistical output at 25 Years Old

Dashon Goldson's statistical output at 25 Years Old

The question isn't to replace Atogwe with Lewis (everyone would do that). It's the following: Sign Atogwe and lose Goldson next season, or retain Lewis and sign Goldson long term and bring Mays on when he's ready. I think in this particular situation, fans just want the best players without thinking of the long term ramifications of those decisions.
I heard today o some ESPN show that the niners said they are not interested in acquiring Atogwe. Anybody hear this, too?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I heard today o some ESPN show that the niners said they are not interested in acquiring Atogwe. Anybody hear this, too?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/02/10/Source-49ers-Not-Interested-in-Atogwe/landing.html?full_args=06/02/10/Source-49ers-Not-Interested-in-Atogwe/landing&blockID=245589&feedID=5936
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Combination of Goldson/Mays/Lewis

We don't need Atogwe.
Not sure he would be a good fit for you guys. With him being with Singletary's daughter that could create some problems. What if Atogwe's and Singletary's daughter's relationship ends? That could cause problems.

Also it would be risky because of the injury he's coming off of. Would he accept only a one or two year deal? That would be key, because you wouldn't want to give out a big contract to a player that may not be able to physically hold up.

The biggest thing is you guys drafted Taylor Mays pretty highly and you have Goldson. Goldson may have been inconsistent, but he also put up some decent stats. Especially for a young player. Developing him may be the best option for your team. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of Mays during the draft, but you guys spent a pretty high pick on him so you may as well see if he can pan out.

I would try to get him on the cheap, it's not a sure thing if Michael Lewis will make it through the season, he is one good shot away from retirement, having another quality safety will give us great depth and another playmaker in the secondary...if we could get him for a good price I say go for it, Goldson is our only sure thing at Safety, Mays is a rookie and we dont know if he is ready for a lot of snaps, Lewis is not a lock due to his health, and Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor have yet to show any flashes of having playmaking ability...go get him
Share 49ersWebzone