There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rams Notebook: Is Atogwe headed to San Francisco 49ers?

• GEEK
  • Veteran
I'd sure as hell would prefer Atogwe over Goldson right now.

Atogwe has proven he's a top 15 safety for the past 4 years. Goldson has had injury problems and couldn't beat Mark Roman out for the first two years of his career.

Sure Goldson has more long-term potential due to his age, but you'd be crazy not to take a hard look at Atogwe if he becomes available.

Right now, Goldson has the highest chance of being a one year wonder in terms of his playmaking skills and health.

Additionally, I wouldn't mind cutting Reggie Smith, signing Atogwe as the FS, and using Goldson as the 3rd S and substitute on pass downs ala Ahmed Brooks. It adds more talent to the secondary, and allows Mays to use this year to understand the real nuances of the game, and impact special teams.
It'd be nice to have Atogwe and Goldson on the same roster..especially because Goldson is arguably a Pro-Bowl caliber safety now.

That's just quite a bit of $$$ for safeties..considering we still have Michael Lewis and Taylor Mays.
Doubt it.
ehhhhhh, for sure 2-3 yrs ago
Pure speculation, i don't think it happens. If we didnt draft Mays then i could buy it.
Goldson is so much better then OJ.
Originally posted by JayEL49er:
Maybe instead of paying big $$ to Goldson (and his 1 year as a starter) we should give the same big $$ to Atogwe (and his 15 ints, 9 forced fumbles in the past 3 seasons).

Not to mention I'm sick of seeing that as*hole around the ball all the damn time when we play STL.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Not sure how he would fit? This is Lewis's last year. Mays could develop into something nice. Will Goldson continue his improvement?? We have depth, but If we did get OJ it would be at the expense of releasing Lewis & moving Goldson to SS. Don't see it happening.

I have no problem with the bold portion. Lewis is aging and is a huge liability in coverage. Goldson is also a liability in coverage, but not as big and has more range than Lewis. Atogwe is far better in coverage than any safety we have on the roster, and coverage at FS is what we need. Goldson seems more like a SS to me, anyway.
[ Edited by 49erRider on May 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM ]
Judging by all the injuries/inconsistencies at that position last season, I would be very damn thrilled to have more talented depth (cause again, we're now operating out of hybrid/interchangeable FS/SS player rotations).
Atogwe at FS and goldson at SS would be awesome! We would be smashing everybody .
Originally posted by redrathman:
Maybe instead of paying big $$ to Goldson (and his 1 year as a starter) we should give the same big $$ to Atogwe (and his 15 ints, 9 forced fumbles in the past 3 seasons).

We've had this discussion before.

Player 1 - 74 Tackles, 5 PD, 1 SK, 3 FF, 2 INT
Player 2 - 94 Tackles, 6 PD, 2 SK, 3 FF, 4 INT

Player 1 is 28 and coming off shoulder surgery.
Player 2 is 25 and played in every game last season.

Which would you want locked up long term?

...anyways, Goldson is better suited for SS. Atogwe would play FS.

I believe you purposely forgot to mention that player 1 played in 4 games less than player 2, and let us also not forget player 2's team was much MUCH better at pressuring the opposing QB's which makes a world of difference in pass coverage.
Goldson > Atogwe

You neglected to mention that Atogwe only played 12 games last year to come with those numbers. Nice slant.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on May 29, 2010 at 10:10 PM ]