There are 227 users in the forums

Rams Notebook: Is Atogwe headed to San Francisco 49ers?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Rams Notebook: Is Atogwe headed to San Francisco 49ers?

Within the next week, the Rams will make a decision regarding the short-term status of free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe.

The Rams’ options are clear. Prior to June 1, either the two sides reach agreement on a long-term contract or the Rams must tender him at $6.976 million to retain their exclusive rights.

It appears unlikely either will happen. It’s obvious the Rams and Atogwe disagree on his value. It probably didn’t help when the Rams placed the franchise tag on Atogwe last season and paid him $6.342 million. Then, early in free agency, safety Antrel Rolle signed a five-year, $37 million contract with the Giants that included a reported $15 million in guarantees.

It would be reasonable to assume the Rams value Atogwe at between $4 and $5 million on a long-term deal, not $6-7 million. Assuming no deal occurs and that there is no new tender, Atogwe will become an unrestricted free agent on June 1.

Surely, the Rams will tell Ken Landphere, Atogwe’s agent, that they still want him, depending on the level of offers he receives. Does Atogwe want to return? Only if the money is right. It’s difficult to predict what other teams will offer a player coming off shoulder surgery.

One team to keep an eye on is the San Francisco 49ers. Atogwe’s rehabilitation is believed to be taking place in the Bay Area, and he has been dating the daughter of 49ers coach Mike Singletary for at least the last year.

After an OTA session last week, Singletary was asked if he has talked to Atogwe about signing with the team. Singletary said, “I think right now we are just leaving those things where they are. Yes, I do know O.J., but it’s not one of those things where we talk about it, no. We’re developing our team and he has his team. If that changes then we’ll look at that at the appropriate time. Right now it’s just not something that we’re thinking about.”

Singletary added, when asked if they had discussed why he would or would not be interested in playing for the 49ers, “I would just say this, by being around him as much as I have been, we’ve had some conversations but nothing to the point of, ‘We’d really like to have you here.’ We don’t really get into that.”

Right. We’re sure they don’t.

Link
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Niners dont have good luck with players named OJ.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

Maybe instead of paying big $$ to Goldson (and his 1 year as a starter) we should give the same big $$ to Atogwe (and his 15 ints, 9 forced fumbles in the past 3 seasons).

Seems like a conflict of interest for sing
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Seems like a conflict of interest for sing

I agree

If I were him I would stay away.
Originally posted by JayEL49er:
Maybe instead of paying big $$ to Goldson (and his 1 year as a starter) we should give the same big $$ to Atogwe (and his 15 ints, 9 forced fumbles in the past 3 seasons).

We've had this discussion before.

Player 1 - 74 Tackles, 5 PD, 1 SK, 3 FF, 2 INT
Player 2 - 94 Tackles, 6 PD, 2 SK, 3 FF, 4 INT

Player 1 is 28 and coming off shoulder surgery.
Player 2 is 25 and played in every game last season.

Which would you want locked up long term?
Originally posted by redrathman:

Thanks for the info! I was just about to look those stats up.
Not sure how he would fit? This is Lewis's last year. Mays could develop into something nice. Will Goldson continue his improvement?? We have depth, but If we did get OJ it would be at the expense of releasing Lewis & moving Goldson to SS. Don't see it happening.

Great point but personally I would like to give contract extension for someone who has at least 2 years being a starter.

My opinion is let Goldson play one more year and if he continues to grow as a player then PAY THE MAN!

Great point but personally I would like to give contract extension for someone who has at least 2 years being a starter.

My opinion is let Goldson play one more year and if he continues to grow as a player then PAY THE MAN!

But you don't have the option of extending Atogwe. He would be an unrestricted free agent, commanding a salary comparable to Antrel Rolle's $15 Million guaranteed. In that scenario, you would then have an overcrowded backfield with way too much money and draft picks invested.

Letting Goldson play out his contract now without an extension would assure his exit from the organization in 2011. Why would he play out all of 2010 just to re-sign with the team in the off season, when he could fetch even larger figures elsewhere?
[ Edited by redrathman on May 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM ]
I don't think we need Atogwe right now. Unless we can't sign Dashon.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

Haha
Sing's daughter can get it anytime..

Share 49ersWebzone