There are 192 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Super Bowl in the Cold????

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What a stupid idea. The dumbest idea the NFL has come up with recently other than a 3 day draft process... The Super Bowl is sacred. It's supposed to be in real good weather or a dome. The weather should not determine the outcome of the Super Bowl. A cold weather team may not have a real advantage over a sunny and warm weather team. It's the wrong move just to appease NYC...

I completely agree. This a really BAD idea. The NFL is one of the strongest brands in America and the NFL usually doesn't make many mistakes, but I believe this is a huge mistake.

At the Super Bowl the game should be the story, not the weather.

I hope the weather totally sucks, wind, rain, sleet and snow, with bad ice on the NJ Turnpike so the stadium is 1/2 empty.

The good news is that we can all look forward to the next Super Bowl being hosted in Santa Clara.

I would agree, but this is in New York. People WILL travel to New York and make the Superbowl a side trip.
I love it!

2014 baby! Let's go Niners, whoever is there I will be there! I just went by there this morning, the old stadium s going down, tractors are ripping it apart.
Originally posted by Chief:
I love it!

2014 baby! Let's go Niners, whoever is there I will be there! I just went by there this morning, the old stadium s going down, tractors are ripping it apart.

I hope a blizzard blows through during the Super Bowl, and then we'll never have to do it there again.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
lol at everyone who's all pissy about this

yeah i don't see what the big deal is

cmon lets not be all dumbfounded either.

You have recognized the pattern of where they have been hosting Super Bowls right?

Enough people must have the opinion that the SB should be played in warm weather...so as I don't think you should just discount the idea so easily

yeah, the pattern is mostly about how much money can be made, and a new stadium just got built in the largest market. its part of the same pattern as the new Dallas stadium getting a super bowl. its about creating spectacle. A super bowl in NY? spectacle.

I just think its funny that people are upset, as if we know exactly what the weather is going to be for a game four years from now.
football in the cold?!

how awful! LOL This is a man's game, played in all weather.

New York City doesnt even get THAT cold FYI all the pansies crying about the cold weather.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by Chief:
I love it!

I hope a blizzard blows through during the Super Bowl, and then we'll never have to do it there again.

so agree. what a f**king dumb idea, but of course the nfl is gonna go with new york/jersey. how would we like it if we had to play the pats, jets, steelers, ravens and any other cold weather team in the sb?? we'll be pissed as f**k as well the fans of other teams who play in warm places where it doesnt snow. reminds me of this past eagles gm where we just look like we didnt even wanna be outside.

also wouldnt mind seeing 2 warm city or dome teams playing in that sb and making it 1 of the most unwatchable sbs ever LOL!!! unless its us
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
football in the cold?!

New York City doesnt even get THAT cold FYI all the pansies crying about the cold weather.

This.
It's football, if you can't handle the cold then GTFO!

Plus for anyone complaining about the fans, spend the days leading up to it in NYC, have an awesome time there. I applaud this move.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
It's football, if you can't handle the cold then GTFO!

Plus for anyone complaining about the fans, spend the days leading up to it in NYC, have an awesome time there. I applaud this move.

Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
football in the cold?!

This.

We aren't talking about beach volleyball, we are talking about football
Originally posted by GoNiners:
lol at everyone who's all pissy about this

yeah i don't see what the big deal is

cmon lets not be all dumbfounded either.

You have recognized the pattern of where they have been hosting Super Bowls right?

Enough people must have the opinion that the SB should be played in warm weather...so as I don't think you should just discount the idea so easily

yeah, the pattern is mostly about how much money can be made, and a new stadium just got built in the largest market. its part of the same pattern as the new Dallas stadium getting a super bowl. its about creating spectacle. A super bowl in NY? spectacle.

I just think its funny that people are upset, as if we know exactly what the weather is going to be for a game four years from now.

I think it is funny when people don't qualify that sentence. You do realize you don't actually have to be upset to anticipate other people getting upset one day? It could be that a large group of NFL fans are happy with this decision today, but are going to be calling for heads in Mid Feb 2014.

Being a critic is about anticipation. Most people don't have foresight.

Look, we are Niner fans so let me let you in on a little secret. This team won't be playing in that Super Bowl.

So I am not upset at all, yet I am still a critic. Because I know people. And people are going to be downright Angry when their #1 Passing Offense Heavy Favorite Team makes it to the Super Bowl, and is heavily favored against some other less impressive cold city team, and all of a sudden they lose in a bad weather game.

Nobodys upset now. Thats the point...they will be.

Did you know, that the rate of upsets occurs more frequently in a bad weather game than it does a fair weathered game?

Its not about knowing. Its about being bright enough to recognize probablilites.

It is now a much higher probability that the game will be played in bad weather in 2014

It is now a much higher probability that the game will result in the under dog winning.

Sure, act like it doesn't matter now.....no big deal....all up until the day after YOUR team loses you FEEL you got the short end of the stick.

Lets see who won't be making a big deal after that happens
[ Edited by danimal on May 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Who cares if it's in the cold? This is football, not some pansy ass game.
So my buddy just dropped a pretty good theory on me. I must say, I think he is onto something

-they did not set the date yet
-the difference between a couple of weeks in that time of year is dramatic
-they will use this as a catalyst to extend the regular season 2 more games
-they will use this as a catalyst to move up the start date of the season 1 more week
-SuperBowls will be generally played in mid Feb, is this really bad weather?
-more recent cold weather cities will start to get bids, especially those with newer stadiums
-The NFL aims to squash other competition in Mid Feb....NBA all star and Nascar

Bottom line. This is not a move to get the NFL into the cold. Its a move to get the NFL out of the cold.

Very Very interesting
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
football in the cold?!

This.

We aren't talking about beach volleyball, we are talking about football

It does get into freezing temperatures in New York in January and February. But I agree, if we're okay with playing regular season and meaningful playoff games in this weather why put the Super Bowl on a pedestal? I for one love watching cold weather games.
So my buddy just dropped a pretty good theory on me. I must say, I think he is onto something

-they did not set the date yet
-the difference between a couple of weeks in that time of year is dramatic
-they will use this as a catalyst to extend the regular season 2 more games
-they will use this as a catalyst to move up the start date of the season 1 more week
-SuperBowls will be generally played in mid Feb, is this really bad weather?
-more recent cold weather cities will start to get bids, especially those with newer stadiums
-The NFL aims to squash other competition in Mid Feb....NBA all star and Nascar

Bottom line. This is not a move to get the NFL into the cold. Its a move to get the NFL out of the cold.

Very Very interesting

interesting theory, but hasn't the NFL said that if they add two more games the timeline of the season will be the same, since the extra games will just be replacing preseason games?