LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Samoan 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Question:

Back in the Montana days, wasnt one of his linemen Samoan or Polynesian? Centre I believe.

I remember watching footage of Montana and some Polynesian guy taking snaps with Bill Walsh. They were going through QB drills and telling the viewers the process Montana would go through.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Question:

Back in the Montana days, wasnt one of his linemen Samoan or Polynesian? Centre I believe.

I remember watching footage of Montana and some Polynesian guy taking snaps with Bill Walsh. They were going through QB drills and telling the viewers the process Montana would go through.

Jesse Sapolu?
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I'm a fan of Samoan NFL players...they're big and strong as f**k while also being smarter than avg for NFL players.

I don't know about all that.

I have never met a smart Samoan.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

Jesse Sapolu?

Yep! Found some info on the guy:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SapoJe00.htm

Hes from Samoa, formally Western Samoa

Jesse Sapolu (1983-1997): For those of us who came of age in the 80s and 90s, Jesse Sapolu was a rock on the 49ers offensive line. Sapolu spent 13 seasons with the 49ers and is one of six 49ers to win four Super Bowl rings. He earned two trips to the Pro Bowl late in his career in 1993 and 1994. Personally, I can't think of any 49ers who were quietly as popular as Sapolu. During the 49ers 80s/90s dynasty, the offensive line play was a key factor in the continued success. Having an anchor like Jesse Sapolu was essential for a quality offensive line.
http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/6/29/561273/49ers-all-time-center-jess

and heres that clip:

You know your getting old when current 49ers fans don't remember Jesse Sapolu. He started at guard then moved over to center when Randy Cross retired in '89. Maybe the reason many don't remember him very well is because the o-line was so good no names ever came up, as it should be for an offensive lineman. The better they are the less you hear their names, cough, Kwame Harris, cough.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Question:

Jesse Sapolu?

who the hell is that

Originally posted by vermonator:
You know your getting old when current 49ers fans don't remember Jesse Sapolu. He started at guard then moved over to center when Randy Cross retired in '89. Maybe the reason many don't remember him very well is because the o-line was so good no names ever came up, as it should be for an offensive lineman. The better they are the less you hear their names, cough, Kwame Harris, cough.

Sapolu was one of my favorites as a kid. Maybe because of his name but... My brothers wife's father (not sure how that would be called) is a lawyer and plays golf with Sapolu
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

Sapolu was one of my favorites as a kid. Maybe because of his name but... My brothers wife's father (not sure how that would be called) is a lawyer and plays golf with Sapolu

Cool, you should try to con your way on to the golf course and get an autograph.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

One of my favorites as well. I remember going to their training camps in Rocklin every summer, he was one of the guys who would almost always stop and sign autographs. Seemed like a pretty cool guy, ran into him at a sub shop in Rocklin one day too.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Is it safe to say that the last time the 49ers had a Samoan/Islander in the line they went and won 4 super bowls?

Iupati the 2nd coming?

(im drawing a very long bow while making this post)

Originally posted by sixbricks:
Does the Niners has the most if not tied with the Bengals with the most Samoan players; Iupati and defensive tackle Isaac Sopoaga?

If I understand the question...Who cares how many Somoan players the 49ers have.

My advise.... go back to school and pay attention in English class.
I'm a fan of Samoan NFL players...they're big and strong as f**k while also being smarter than avg for NFL players.

It's been my privilege to work with and be friends with several Samoans, and they are thoughtful, sharp guys. Maybe their generally mellow, laid-back island style attitude gives you the wrong impression, but I've found Samoans to be dependable and worthy of promotion to increasingly responsible positions.

I'm happy that we have Isaac Sopoaga and Michael Iupati as 49ers, and I believe they'll do well. Guess we'll see.

probably cause you stay in your little room, where it is nice and safe....and you're the toughest guy around.
Question:

Jesse Sapolu?
soaps his 2nd cousin or something like that
Originally posted by sactomkiii:
Question:

Jesse Sapolu?
soaps his 2nd cousin or something like that

lol every samoan is related it seems like. I know a few here in hawaii that say soap is their cousin too
Share 49ersWebzone