LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 375 users in the forums

Broncos LT Ryan Clady tears patella tendon

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
That sucks. Does anyone know how long a patella tendon takes to heal? Will he be on the field when we play them at Wembley?

3-4 months. He should be back on the field by the time we play them but there's no garuntee he will be back at 100% by then. Brooks will still get around him to sack QB

Quote:
Ryan Clady Tears Patellar Tendon Playing Basketball

Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady has apparently torn his patellar tendon while playing basketball. This is, very obviously, a catastrophic injury for the Broncos, who were already undergoing changes across their offense, and the first example of the injury regression that should be expected to come their way in 2010. I'll update this post with more about Clady's injuries and his comparables in a bit.

UPDATE: This is getting interesting. Adam Schefter and Jason LaCanfora are both reporting that Clady will only miss 3-4 months, and should be able to return for training camp.

Something's amiss here. We have a wide variety of players listed with torn patellar tendons in our injury database. I can't find a single player that managed to either recover from a torn patella in the middle of a season in three months time, or a player that suffered a torn patella in the offseason and then recovered to start the season. Not one.

In fact, there's only one player I can find who didn't miss the entire year with their torn patellar tendon. Perhaps the closest comparison to Clady is Seahawks center Robbie Tobeck, who tore his patella tendon in May of 2000. Tobeck went on the Physically Unable to Perform list to start the season, and only managed to play in four games, none as a starter. LeCharles Bentley of the Browns, another center, tore his patella in July of 2006 and was immediately placed on injured reserve. He never played again, although that had much more to do with staph eating his knee than the initial injury.

Every other player I've found with a torn patella went on IR or missed more than six months. In fact, every other instance of a player appearing on the injury list (besides those on injured reserve) with a torn patella is an example of a player being listed with that injury from the previous season. Several players were expected to come back from the injury, were placed on the PUP list or were inactive to start the season, and then ended up on IR -- Germane Crowell in 2001 and Gary Baxter in 2007 are examples. Nate Webster came off of PUP in 2005 but was never healthy enough to make the active roster.

In other words, it's impossible to reconcile history with the idea that Clady's going to be back by August. So either one of three things are true here:

1) Clady doesn't have a torn patellar tendon

2) The Broncos and/or Clady are misinforming people about the expected timeframe of his injury

3) Clady is superhuman and will heal at a rate no NFL player ever has.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/ryan-clady-tears-patellar-tendon-playing-basketball
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
That sucks. Does anyone know how long a patella tendon takes to heal? Will he be on the field when we play them at Wembley?

3-4 months. He should be back on the field by the time we play them but there's no garuntee he will be back at 100% by then. Brooks will still get around him to sack QB

Quote:
Ryan Clady Tears Patellar Tendon Playing Basketball

Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady has apparently torn his patellar tendon while playing basketball. This is, very obviously, a catastrophic injury for the Broncos, who were already undergoing changes across their offense, and the first example of the injury regression that should be expected to come their way in 2010. I'll update this post with more about Clady's injuries and his comparables in a bit.

UPDATE: This is getting interesting. Adam Schefter and Jason LaCanfora are both reporting that Clady will only miss 3-4 months, and should be able to return for training camp.

Something's amiss here. We have a wide variety of players listed with torn patellar tendons in our injury database. I can't find a single player that managed to either recover from a torn patella in the middle of a season in three months time, or a player that suffered a torn patella in the offseason and then recovered to start the season. Not one.

In fact, there's only one player I can find who didn't miss the entire year with their torn patellar tendon. Perhaps the closest comparison to Clady is Seahawks center Robbie Tobeck, who tore his patella tendon in May of 2000. Tobeck went on the Physically Unable to Perform list to start the season, and only managed to play in four games, none as a starter. LeCharles Bentley of the Browns, another center, tore his patella in July of 2006 and was immediately placed on injured reserve. He never played again, although that had much more to do with staph eating his knee than the initial injury.

Every other player I've found with a torn patella went on IR or missed more than six months. In fact, every other instance of a player appearing on the injury list (besides those on injured reserve) with a torn patella is an example of a player being listed with that injury from the previous season. Several players were expected to come back from the injury, were placed on the PUP list or were inactive to start the season, and then ended up on IR -- Germane Crowell in 2001 and Gary Baxter in 2007 are examples. Nate Webster came off of PUP in 2005 but was never healthy enough to make the active roster.

In other words, it's impossible to reconcile history with the idea that Clady's going to be back by August. So either one of three things are true here:

1) Clady doesn't have a torn patellar tendon

2) The Broncos and/or Clady are misinforming people about the expected timeframe of his injury

3) Clady is superhuman and will heal at a rate no NFL player ever has.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/ryan-clady-tears-patellar-tendon-playing-basketball

from what I heard when Josh mcdaniels was on NFL network. He said it was a 50% tear which isn't as bad.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
HUGE loss for them. They are gonna stink this year

and we play them

In London!! They just lost their best offensive player

I talked to a friend who's a broncos fan and he said tebow is gonna dominate and they will be good. I lol'd

[ Edited by marshniners24 on Apr 28, 2010 at 19:34:28 ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
wow, that f**king sucks for him, and for the Broncos. Denver fans must be hating life right now.
I hate with this stuff happens.

I hope he can come back and play at his normal form.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

I hope he can come back and play at his normal form.

Agreed.
We should help them. Offer to trade them Snyder for next year's first rounder.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

I hope he can come back and play at his normal form after the 49ers game.

Agreed.

Fixed
Share 49ersWebzone