LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Raider fans comparing McClain to Willis.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
To me, he plays too high for a LB. He is going to need to work on that in order to even be close to Willis. Plus, he has nowhere near the speed that Willis has.

In run D, he benefitted from a very good team around him. He didn't have to fight off blocks, had a lot of gang tackles, and definitely goes to high on tackles.

He has a lot of potential, but as good as Willis... No where close, at least not yet.
He looks sooo... average.

He looks almost kind of awkward out there.

Just judging by his name, "Rolando McClain", and the hype around him, I was like "Damn! This dude must be bad ass!!!"

But after watching him on film, I wouldn't be surprised if he went the way of Gholston.
  • TheNatureBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

Just judging by his name, "Rolando McClain", and the hype around him, I was like "Damn! This dude must be bad ass!!!"

But after watching him on film, I wouldn't be surprised if he went the way of Gholston.

Are you serious ? I mean really dude...he most definitely won't be a Vernon Gholston. Trust that and since your watching film check out Bama vs Ole Miss 09 or Bama vs Kentucky or Bama vs LSU 08 and tell me that dude looks awkward.
Originally posted by TheNatureBoy:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

Are you serious ? I mean really dude...he most definitely won't be a Vernon Gholston. Trust that and since your watching film check out Bama vs Ole Miss 09 or Bama vs Kentucky or Bama vs LSU 08 and tell me that dude looks awkward.

I stick by my story.

And I didn't say that he would be a Gholston... just that it wouldn't surprise me.
Willis > daylight > Raiders.
McClain is ridiculously overrated. He plays way too upright, isn't elite at shedding blocks, and isn't stout against the run. He and Haden are 2 examples of the benefit of belonging to a poor positional draft class. Ironically, Kirk Morrison may end up the better pro and they coughed him up for next to nothing (moving up spots in the 4th round)

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:49:37 ]
To me, he plays too high for a LB. He is going to need to work on that in order to even be close to Willis. Plus, he has nowhere near the speed that Willis has.

he is a swing tackler and will have some tackles broken unless that is fixed, he will be a fine player but no where near willis caliber
This is the guy that played behind Mount Cody, right?
Willis has by far better instincts, skills and range athletically

Where McClain will shine is in his knowledge of the game. As Saban and
a few others have said he is like having a defensive coach on the field.

The ONLY knock I have heard on Willis is that he doesn't want that responsibility
and wants to play more instinctively. He doesn't want to be the guy calling defenses
and wearing the headset.

That is where McClain will stand out.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

The ONLY knock I have heard on Willis is that he doesn't want that responsibility
and wants to play more instinctively. He doesn't want to be the guy calling defenses
and wearing the headset.

So he will be standing around calling plays then actually doing the tackling?

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

and wearing the headset.

So he will be standing around calling plays then actually doing the tackling?

Right, just read into it what you want. He's an All SEC LB coached by Nick Saban. I think he knows how to tackle. He's not as fast or instinctive as Willis, but he probably understands schemes as well as any LB who's been drafted recently.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by AllForTheNiners:

He reminds me of a larger, more athletic Derek Smith... solid, but still kinda meh

Idk how anyone can think he's even a decent LB after watching this Video?

He doesn't pursue, he doesn't have good coverage skills, lets the runner run to him then he somewhat tackles them.

looks like he needs great players around him.

We are familiar with great ILB play. These highlights do not display any kind of sheer athleticism. It looks like he is good a guessing where the play is going and shows up at the last second and attempts a tackle, or, whatever the heck he is trying to accomplish.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
No where near as explosive as Willis is!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
No where near as explosive as Willis is!!!

You think?
nigga hella weak...he's gonna be like Takeo Spikes part 2..not weak but not no f**king willis
Share 49ersWebzone