LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 192 users in the forums

The NFL thinks it's above the justice system

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Ben wasn't suspended the first time this happened, with the Nevada case. However now with two accusations in less than one year it's clear that Ben is behaving in a way that Gooddell finds unacceptable, I mean even Ben admitted that something happened and that he acted inappropriately. And the whole bodyguard blocking the friend thing? That makes him look very bad.

You don't see this sort of thing happening with Peyton Manning or Patrick Willis. For two accusations in less than a year to occur, I completely agree with the league in suspending him and having him take corrective action, just as any company with employees and expected behavioral standards would.

Agreed. He let the first incident slip. He couldn't let incident # 2 slip, and the 6 game suspension let Ben know there better not be an incident # 3.

The NFL is an organization based on image. I have no problem with the league taking action against any employees who's actions have publicly tarnished that image, regardless of arrest or criminal charges, or during public or private situations.

If a Ben Roethlisberger sex tape leaked out onto the internet, and the video featured him choking the b***h at her request, violating her anally, and finishing it off by nutting in her eye and telling her to "clean that off you f**king b***h", do you think the NFL has the right to suspend him then?
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Apr 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Look danimal, your business analogies do not translate to the NFL or any major pro sports.

What you fail to understand is that pro sports is not like a regular business. The financial bottom line is not as important as the "on the field" success.

And people do not stop investing their time and money into the NFL as a product based on the alleged off-the-field violations of a few players.
Originally posted by crzy:
Look danimal, your business analogies do not translate to the NFL or any major pro sports.

What you fail to understand is that pro sports is not like a regular business. The financial bottom line is not as important as the "on the field" success.

And people do not stop investing their time and money into the NFL as a product based on the alleged off-the-field violations of a few players.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

It's the truth.

The worst owners in professional sports are the ones that try to run their pro teams like a regular business.

So now you know what people do and do not do huh?

I know people who definitely change their consumer habits based on things like this. I know people who have confiscated their kids jerseys after players get into trouble like this, and replace the jeresy with another player

I know people who have skipped entire seasons because of some high profile case or string of cases that gives them enough pause to stop and say......"why am I giving my hard earned money to these idiots?"

Hey, thats not me, I keep watching the NFL and rooting even after convictions.

There is literally no other reason for Goodell to suspend players other than to save customers who may be thinking about tuning out.
Its called bringing the company/organisation/whatever into disrepute.

This is not about justice, this is about rules and profit.

It's the truth.

The worst owners in professional sports are the ones that try to run their pro teams like a regular business.

Please explain.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by danimal:

So now you know what people do and do not do huh?

I know people who definitely change their consumer habits based on things like this. I know people who have confiscated their kids jerseys after players get into trouble like this, and replace the jeresy with another player

I know people who have skipped entire seasons because of some high profile case or string of cases that gives them enough pause to stop and say......"why am I giving my hard earned money to these idiots?"

Hey, thats not me, I keep watching the NFL and rooting even after convictions.

There is literally no other reason for Goodell to suspend players other than to save customers who may be thinking about tuning out.

No I don't know what people do.

But it's fairly easy to track measurable things like ticket sales, jersey sales, revenue, tv ratings, franchise values, etc.

Name me a circumstance in the pre-Roger Goodell susepension era where an off the field issue has lead to a decline in any of the above categories ^^.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Giggidy:

It's the truth.

Please explain.

Owners that value money over winning FAIL.

Teams with minimal payrolls in baseball who pocket insane revenue from revenue sharing, etc are mediocre baseball teams. The Florida Marlins operating profits for 2006 through 2008 were $43 million, $36 million and $44 million, near the top of the league every year. Those profits are astounding. And a regular business would be proud. But the Marlins are a joke in major league baseball because their on the field production is horrendous.

The Memphis Grizzlies traded Pau Gasol to the Lakers and basically gave them a championship in order to save millions. This is a business....money decision. Not a winning basketball decision.

There are literally a million examples of owners trying to run their professional sports like a regular business and sacrificing their teams success on the field/court.

Wheras the Yankees lose money and win world series championships.

Sports teams should not be run like a regular business. Winning is the only thing that matters. Al Davis' motto is the correct motto.

I applaud it. They make more money than one can dream. Kids as well as adults idolize them. They are entitled to everything. And they still screw up. Playing professional sports is an honor not a privelage. And I salute Goddell for knocking them back down to size.
Originally posted by English:
Its called bringing the company/organisation/whatever into disrepute.

This is not about justice, this is about rules and profit.

It's also about the guiding principals of the NFL's personal conduct policy which Goodell has the power to interpret and enforce as he see's fit.
When the image and status of the league is at stake, you're god damn right he'll punish players even for "alleged" crimes.

One thing to keep in mind - it's not the player's "right" to be in the league. It's a privilige bestowed on him by the league, the owners and the NFLPA and all three of those bodies are in general agreement around how these types of incidences should be handled.
Share 49ersWebzone