There are 149 users in the forums

Anthony "Bam" Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
AD has improved significantly. Haveing Boone next to him has helped both players, not just AD.

Staley played against 3 top pass rushers in the first 3 games and id better than average but not too much better.

I feel we should start looking for someone to groom in the next draft - depending on our needs by the end of the season. Still WAYYYYY to early to conclude.
Love the right side of the line.....Boone is just as mean as Davis. If we can keep these guys together and upgrade the Center, watch out world.
He's decent..
Originally posted by oldman9er:
He's decent..

He'd be even better if his QB didn't hold the ball so long and the recievers could get open....
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by pete98146:
AD certainly seems to be playing better than Staley these days. IMHO Staley is the most overrated Niner by a long shot. But he normally gets a free pass because he's one of the leaders in the lockerroom and everybody loves the guy...

Staley is underrated if anything.

Hell no
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM ]
Posted this in another thread, thought it was relevant.

I have Davis down for .5 sacks and Staley at 3.5 granted he has went up against Matthews and Allen. People might want to switch and it could be a possibility but I doubt it during the season. Staley is signed with us for a long time so it could happen down the road. However, you have to remember who he has went up against. Staley's sacks given up could even out over the season as he faces easier guys. Plus Anthony Davis likes bull rush guys... you can bull rush him all day and not get by him but he can be beat by speed much much easier. Granted RDE have gotten better and there isn't as much of a gap and also teams can interchange them but for the most part the best rusher (usually the quickest as well) is on the left side.

Looking at the matchups:
Staley = Matthews, Allen, Vanden bosch (might have gotten some avril?)
Davis = Nick Perry...rookie, power guy | Cliff Avril.. did he face Vanden Bosch at all? avril is small, not quickest | Brian Robison (smaller but not really quick)

Staley has faced much tougher competition but that's not taking away from how well Davis has played. Davis is a much better run blocker than Staley. As for who he faced Robison had 8 sacks last year, Avril 11, and perry looks like a really powerful rookie.

Side note: My opinion on Staley is he is above average, a fairly solid starter but he's locked up so long term doubt we have any plans to upgrade over him. Still we have bigger needs anyways.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Posted this in another thread, thought it was relevant.

I have Davis down for .5 sacks and Staley at 3.5 granted he has went up against Matthews and Allen. People might want to switch and it could be a possibility but I doubt it during the season. Staley is signed with us for a long time so it could happen down the road. However, you have to remember who he has went up against. Staley's sacks given up could even out over the season as he faces easier guys. Plus Anthony Davis likes bull rush guys... you can bull rush him all day and not get by him but he can be beat by speed much much easier. Granted RDE have gotten better and there isn't as much of a gap and also teams can interchange them but for the most part the best rusher (usually the quickest as well) is on the left side.

Looking at the matchups:
Staley = Matthews, Allen, Vanden bosch (might have gotten some avril?)
Davis = Nick Perry...rookie, power guy | Cliff Avril.. did he face Vanden Bosch at all? avril is small, not quickest | Brian Robison (smaller but not really quick)

Staley has faced much tougher competition but that's not taking away from how well Davis has played. Davis is a much better run blocker than Staley. As for who he faced Robison had 8 sacks last year, Avril 11, and perry looks like a really powerful rookie.

Side note: My opinion on Staley is he is above average, a fairly solid starter but he's locked up so long term doubt we have any plans to upgrade over him. Still we have bigger needs anyways.

Barrows pointed out that AD shut down Matthews during his rookie season, so something I was wondering...Did Matthews choose to avoid AD and only go against Staley? Did Matthews switch sides in their defense at some point since then?
Originally posted by sfout:
Barrows pointed out that AD shut down Matthews during his rookie season, so something I was wondering...Did Matthews choose to avoid AD and only go against Staley? Did Matthews switch sides in their defense at some point since then?

Don't really think anyone can answer that... except to say that IMO, Clay makes a far better ROLB than does Nick Perry. Clay's the better speed rusher whereas Perry seems to be a stronger rush LB (better for the strongside).
Yup.....turned out just like Kwame.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Yup.....turned out just like Kwame.

His pass protection isn't THAT bad, c'mon now...

Originally posted by SFrush:
"From March on, we've seen nothing but improvement fundamentally, mentally, recognition-wise," Roman said. "Anthony is playing at a high level."

Great stuff to hear. This guy has done nothing but improve and is holding his own on the right side. I love his down right nasty attitude he plays with on the field! I do believe that by the end of the season he will be on of the unspoken enforcers on the team in which other teams with have to deal with every game, all game long and to the end and lil' beyond every whistle of every play!
I'm reading all these articles about how good Anthony Davis is....but if I went by a few members on here....well maybe just one, , I've been told he is not good at Tackle...and could be "ok" at guard.
What ever happened to the he's a bust thread?
AD is a boss and his twitters are hilarious most of the time
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
One of the top RTs in the game today.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I'm reading all these articles about how good Anthony Davis is....but if I went by a few members on here....well maybe just one, , I've been told he is not good at Tackle...and could be "ok" at guard.

Lots of articles about Aubrayo Franklin being a stud too as I was suggesting that he wasn't the excellence he was made out to be.... just sayin'...

But no, I think AD has been a good OT so far this season. So if you are talking about me? Then once again, I'd say you are exaggerating/twisting my words.
Share 49ersWebzone