LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Three way trade -- Eagles get LB Ernie Sims, Lions get TE Tony Scheffler

Shop 49ers game tickets
Remember, Pettigrew tore his ACL tendon during the Thanksgiving game last year and isn't expected to be back till training game. It is a serious injury and many people never fully recover from it.

Not to mention, their back-up TE retired at the end of the season and they have no one behind Pettigrew.

Further, Scott Linehan loves 2 TE sets.

Scheffler is on the last year of his contract, and the Lions made sure that he wouldn't seek a new contract if signed, so he won't hold out. This may be just a one year thing.

Also, Sims not only doesn't fit the scheme because he is too small, but he has been very injury prone the last few years and has shown signs of decline in production and has been a liability against the run.

Altogether, not a wholly bad move by the Lions to add another pass threat -- their 2 TE sets will be scary stuff and will help the run immensely.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Apr 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM ]
seriously, LOL at Josh McDaniels. he must be the worst coach of all time? no more franchise QB, no more elite WR, no more good D coordinator, no more blocking TE. he should just trade the whole team for a 5th. Denver is going to be bad for a while
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
seriously, LOL at Josh McDaniels. he must be the worst coach of all time? no more franchise QB, no more elite WR, no more good D coordinator, no more blocking TE. he should just trade the whole team for a 5th. Denver is going to be bad for a while

His problem isn't coaching he has good schemes and stuff, his problem is he thinks he's the Bill Belichik of GMs and he's closer to Terry Donahue. Dude keeps shipping out all his good players, I don't get it.

Good trade for Philly and Detroit though.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by MrOrange:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5113415

Shefter makes some good points:

1. Scheffler is a receiving TE while Pettigrew is more of a blocking TE.

2. Sims didn't fit the scheme AND he is in the last year of his contract and they didn't feel like they could re-sign him.

I think Denver is better off with a 5th rounder vs keeping Scheffler and a 7th because he has been a distraction ever since the Cutler fiasco.

There is always more to the story.....

Lions drafted a blocking TE in the first round?

We pretty much did the same thing for the first 3 years..

-9fA
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

2. Sims didn't fit the scheme AND he is in the last year of his contract and they didn't feel like they could re-sign him.

I think Denver is better off with a 5th rounder vs keeping Scheffler and a 7th because he has been a distraction ever since the Cutler fiasco.

Thats disgusting, since Michael Oher was available for them to protect Stafford with.

Agreed. That was a hugely stupid move. They could have had their QB and starting caliber OT in one draft. I remember wanting the 49ers to trade back into the 1st and to select him after he got into the 20s.

Oh well.

-9fA
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Thats disgusting, since Michael Oher was available for them to protect Stafford with.

Agreed. That was a hugely stupid move. They could have had their QB and starting caliber OT in one draft. I remember wanting the 49ers to trade back into the 1st and to select him after he got into the 20s.

Oh well.

-9fA

It's a copycat league. Rivers developed as a great QB under Turner but with the weapon of Gates at TE. I think the Lions wanted to mimic that type of chemistry between the QB and TE.

It was a stupid pick considering you can find those types of TEs (Pettergrew) in the mid-late rounds.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Yep, Lions are pretty stupid.

GM was on a phone conference with Millen having him walk him through the trade.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
WOW worst 1st round picks in a row ever

overall

3rd Joey ballgame
2nd Charles Rogers
7th Roy Williams
10th Mike Williams
9th Ernie Sims

5 top 10 picks not one is still with the team

The work of art of Matt Millen

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

We pretty much did the same thing for the first 3 years..

-9fA

Not at all, we didn't draft Vernon because he was a blocker. We drafted him for his receiving and playmaking ability. Actually the knock on Vernon coming out was his blocking skills but he turned in to a damn good one.

That was known though. Part of the thinking at the time was that he would help block to cover up some of the deficiencies on the o-line, plus he added some receiving skills.

If they wanted to cover up some of the deficiencies of their o-line they should have just drafted Michael Oher like I said at the time of the draft. Lions are stupid.

Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So the Broncos have traded away Cutler, Marshall, and Scheffler...yeah, good job McDaniels, lol.

Broncos fans must hate the guy

Seriously, that guy has single handedly destroyed the Broncos! He makes the Garcia & TO same year dumping look like sheer genius compared to what he's done.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

That was known though. Part of the thinking at the time was that he would help block to cover up some of the deficiencies on the o-line, plus he added some receiving skills.

I thought Pettigrew was meant to be a good catching TE. It's insanity to take a TE for his blocking skills in the 1st round

Ya I thought he was really similar to Antonio Gates, without the great "jump ball catches".
I seen this on ESPN and thought it was April fools day again. It is unbelievable!!!!!!!! Trades this year have made no sense more so then any year to me.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
WOW worst 1st round picks in a row ever

overall

3rd Joey ballgame
2nd Charles Rogers
7th Roy Williams
10th Mike Williams
9th Ernie Sims

5 top 10 picks not one is still with the team

The work of art of Matt Millen

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Sims struggled last year in a new system and posted only 40 tackles in 10 games.

Well lucky for sims now he's going to be on a great team with a chance for the playoffs haha silly lions tricks are for kids and andy reid!
Share 49ersWebzone