LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Santonio Holmes facing four-game suspension

Shop 49ers game tickets
Late Friday afternoon brought good news for the Pittsburgh Steelers, with the report from ESPN that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't be charged with sexual assault in Milledgeville, Georgia.

Now for the bad news.

Multiple sources have advised us that receiver Santonio Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the league's substance-abuse policy. It's presently unknown whether Holmes tested positive for a prohibited substance or committed some other violation of the policy, such as missing a required test. It's our current understanding that the internal NFL appeals process has not been finalized.

Under the substance-abuse policy, a four-game suspension comes after multiple violations. The fact that Holmes, the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, is facing a four-game suspension means that Holmes previously has paid a fine in the amount of three seventeenths of his base salary (i.e., three game checks).

Though we're not aware of the specific identity of the substance involved, Holmes has a history with marijuana. In 2008, he was cited for marijuana possession, prompting the Steelers to suspend him for one game with pay. Recently, he posted on Twitter a message indicating an intention to "wake n bake," slang for smoking marijuana upon getting out of bed.

Holmes also has recently been accused of throwing a drink in the face of a woman at an Orlando nightclub. The alleged victim has both sued Holmes and pursued criminal liability, after indicating on the scene that she did not want to press charges. His lawyer has denied the accusations, recently claiming that a witness has signed a sworn statement taking responsibility for throwing the drink. The suspension Holmes faces arose independently of this alleged incident.

PFT Link
lol. on top of this, Goodell might suspend roethlisberger too. link
(just a rumor, but it would make sense, given how Goodell has been running things)
This is good news for Arnaz Battle.

The Steelers have a log-jam at WR with Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Sweed, Randal-El, and Battle.

[ Edited by fanmusclecars on Apr 10, 2010 at 10:05:47 ]
I'll wait till the supensions are handed out to make any comments.
f**k the Steelers
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
f**k the Steelers
Originally posted by babyshaq90:
f**k the Steelers
wake n bake
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Originally posted by babyshaq90:
f**k the Steelers
Why does this sport make such a big effing deal about smoking some weed?

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
wake n bake
mike tomlin's got a duggie and a rapist as his top flight players el oh el
Originally posted by thojess:

it's because they are in the limelight and are icons for children. i absolutely love weed, but in a position like them -- come on man. just don't do it. you get paid millions more to do something people would kill to do. don't be a f**king fool. that's why i've never understood why they don't get drivers and bodyguards -- they have the money -- and there wouldn't be DUI's and self-shootings like there always is
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by thojess:

it's because they are in the limelight and are icons for children. i absolutely love weed, but in a position like them -- come on man. just don't do it. you get paid millions more to do something people would kill to do. don't be a f**king fool. that's why i've never understood why they don't get drivers and bodyguards -- they have the money -- and there wouldn't be DUI's and self-shootings like there always is

I can understand having some weed, but the DUI's? Come on, they can't tell me it's too expensive to have someone drive them there and back home
Dayum. The Steelers are going to become the east coast Raiders.
Share 49ersWebzone