LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Campbell found out about McNabb trade from reporter

Shop 49ers game tickets
Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:19 am EDT

Campbell found out about McNabb trade from reporter
By Doug Farrar

Generally speaking, players would perfer to learn about trades that affect them from their actual team — that way, the team can do whatever damage control is necessary and assure the player in question that he's still a crucial part of their plans. The truth may be altogether different, but damage control isn't always about the truth.

What current (soon-to-be-former?) Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell(notes) now knows is that his team didn't think enough of him to let him know when they dropped the hammer on the Donovan McNabb(notes) trade. Campbell, who's been Washington's primary quarterback since 2007, found out about the trade when he got a phone call from John Keim of the Washington Examiner just after the deal was consummated.

Me: Did you hear about what happened?

Jason: What?

Me: The Redskins traded for Donovan.

Jason: Really? Ummm ... I didn't know that, man.

Me: I'm sorry I had to be the one who told you. I can't believe they didn't tell you.

Jason: No, that's the first I heard of it. ... I'd better go call my agent.

When I called back later, it went to voice mail. His mailbox was full.

Campbell has a first-round tender on his head that he hasn't signed, and that the Redskins will most likely rescind. According to ESPN 980, several teams are interested in Campbell's services — the Bills, Raiders, Panthers and Jaguars (plus an "unknown team") are reportedly in line to make offers.

Though his performance in Washington was far from elite, it's also fair to say that Campbell never got a fair shot. He dealt with different offensive coordinators and a declining offense as the Dan Snyder/Vinny Cerrato "brain trust" mowed the offense down with a series of questionable moves. A new start would be best for all involved, and Campbell will most likely get it.

At this point, he's probably just hoping that when he is traded, he won't have to hear about it first from a reporter.

Thats messed up man!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Dan Snyder is a douche.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Not a big deal, he was never a proven player anyways.
Originally posted by susweel:

That doesn't mean the Skins Front Office can't have a little class and at least tell him they just traded for his replacement.

[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Apr 5, 2010 at 14:52:16 ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
not a first in sports history.
  • kw49
  • Veteran
It's not that surprising. Reporters are ready to pounce on any new information. The team probably wanted to make sure it was a done deal before they gave any information to Jason Campbell. The reporter just beat them to it.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

That doesn't mean the Skins Front Office can't have a little class and at least tell him they just traded for his replacement.

Yeah, Its a slap in the face to Campbell.
Originally posted by boast:
not a first in sports history.
Didn't Shaun Hill find out from the media, too? Too bad Campbell couldn't find a way to be traded to another team before the Redskins FO even found out.

Redskins FO: "WTF?! He was traded for a 7th Rd pick? Okay, who approved of this move...because it's brilliant!"

[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Apr 5, 2010 at 15:02:16 ]
You stay classy Dan Snyder!

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

s**t, Shaun Hill wasn't even told he was traded. He heard from the media, nobody from the niners front office even called him.

Now that low class.

s**t, Shaun Hill wasn't even told he was traded. He heard from the media, nobody from the niners front office even called him.

Now that low class.

Right or wrong, every organization has done this to a player at one time or the other. It's a business now. I personally think it's uncool, but hey s*it like this goes on all the time.

Now that low class.

I agree.
Who cares? Tough sh!t if he found out through a reporter. Man up and beat him out for the job, otherwise shut your ass and collect your check.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for AXEGRINDER.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Dan Snyder is a douche.
Share 49ersWebzone