There are 155 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eddie D: just what EXACTLY is he forbidden to do?

There isn't a man-jack of us out there who at one time or another had the thot of "Oh, how i wish for the good old days of Eddie D." So what, EXACTLY, is he forbidden from doing? Yeah, he was required to "dis-invest", ie, sell his entire interest in the team. But make no mistake, when that briefcase of $100K was brot to the Louisiana governor as a "sweetner" to get the riverboat gaming concession, all our hearts sank. When we later learned of the disconnect between Dr and Mrs York(DeBartolo) and the 49ers, we hit our nadir...and then proceeded to stay there. For 4-5 yrs, this team was so low it looked up and saw a snake's belly...and that is pretty low. However, we were that bad...disorganized, inept, and awful.

Now, instead of having a meddler in the front office, who knew virtually nothing of football, we have a kid raised around the game by his uncle, Eddie. That's the good news. Bad news is he's 23. How smart were you when you were 23, and keep in mind this is not your regular job, but a very complicated dance of integrating talent, coaching, dollars, philosophy, stadiums...not to mention egos. On a scale of job difficulty 1-100, being a successful owner in nfl is probably pretty close to 99. So how does a kid, an nfl owner(no, he did not earn it), become successful at what he is doing?

His first attempt(as non owner) was to learn the trade from a guy, well schooled by Ron Wolf, who became our GM. By all accounts they became friends, which is to be expected. But the firing of Scot by Jed really took some of us by surprise. I have posted previously that we were really stuck, since our GM was owner's favorite, and had proven himself not up to the job. So what next? Then the Jedi showed some stones and did the heretofore unthinkable...fired McClOWN.

Well, that's where the subject of this thread is directed, and i am now, and have been for some time, curious as to whether Eddie D could legally(according to nfl) return to the 9ers in some capacity, perhaps unpaid, as asst to the president, or some such. In fact, he wouldn't have to have a title at all, but if he were around, and fully understood his boundaries, would he not be a really great tutor for our team president?

Yes, Eddie D was successful because of Bill Walsh. Turn it around tho, and Bill Walsh was successful because of Eddie D(essentially a hands off policy, and always amenable to writing the big checks). Anyone know for certain exactly what Eddie D can do re: 49ers, if he were brot back in as a presidential sounding board? And lastly, would it be a good, or bad, idea?
Who's 23? Jed?

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Who's 23? Jed?

I think 5 or 6 years ago he was. No that that is an advanced age.

And IIRC, Eddie isn't forbidden from doing anything anymore. The Yorks (Denise/John) don't want him around. He isn't forbidden from pursuing another NFL franchise, either.
Doesn't matter whether it's a good idea or not, it's not gonna happen.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Who's 23? Jed?

I think 5 or 6 years ago he was. No that that is an advanced age.

And IIRC, Eddie isn't forbidden from doing anything anymore. The Yorks (Denise/John) don't want him around. He isn't forbidden from pursuing another NFL franchise, either.

So this was written 5 years ago? And written as if he's telling some amazing story about snake bellies and the "chosen one".
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
There isn't a man-jack of us out there who at one time or another had the thot of "Oh, how i wish for the good old days of Eddie D." So what, EXACTLY, is he forbidden from doing? Yeah, he was required to "dis-invest", ie, sell his entire interest in the team. But make no mistake, when that briefcase of $100K was brot to the Louisiana governor as a "sweetner" to get the riverboat gaming concession, all our hearts sank. When we later learned of the disconnect between Dr and Mrs York(DeBartolo) and the 49ers, we hit our nadir...and then proceeded to stay there. For 4-5 yrs, this team was so low it looked up and saw a snake's belly...and that is pretty low. However, we were that bad...disorganized, inept, and awful.

Now, instead of having a meddler in the front office, who knew virtually nothing of football, we have a kid raised around the game by his uncle, Eddie. That's the good news. Bad news is he's 23. How smart were you when you were 23, and keep in mind this is not your regular job, but a very complicated dance of integrating talent, coaching, dollars, philosophy, stadiums...not to mention egos. On a scale of job difficulty 1-100, being a successful owner in nfl is probably pretty close to 99. So how does a kid, an nfl owner(no, he did not earn it), become successful at what he is doing?

His first attempt(as non owner) was to learn the trade from a guy, well schooled by Ron Wolf, who became our GM. By all accounts they became friends, which is to be expected. But the firing of Scot by Jed really took some of us by surprise. I have posted previously that we were really stuck, since our GM was owner's favorite, and had proven himself not up to the job. So what next? Then the Jedi showed some stones and did the heretofore unthinkable...fired McClOWN.

Well, that's where the subject of this thread is directed, and i am now, and have been for some time, curious as to whether Eddie D could legally(according to nfl) return to the 9ers in some capacity, perhaps unpaid, as asst to the president, or some such. In fact, he wouldn't have to have a title at all, but if he were around, and fully understood his boundaries, would he not be a really great tutor for our team president?

Yes, Eddie D was successful because of Bill Walsh. Turn it around tho, and Bill Walsh was successful because of Eddie D(essentially a hands off policy, and always amenable to writing the big checks). Anyone know for certain exactly what Eddie D can do re: 49ers, if he were brot back in as a presidential sounding board? And lastly, would it be a good, or bad, idea?

Legally speaking I don't believe there was ever an official ban, ala Pete Rose. Eddie D was suspended. He was strongly encouraged to release ownership. At the same time he was being sued by his sister for money he owed her. Debartalo Sr. always bought investments and gave them to BOTH Eddie and Denise. The entire time the Niners were NFL gods Denise was 50% owner. She gave him the choice. He could retain the Niners 100% or the property development company they shared in Florida. It was Eddie D's choice and he chose the development company. The NFL never told Eddie D. he couldn't be owner. They didn't have the authority to do so, any more than they could stop you from owning your car.

The worst they could have done is not allowed the Niners to be an NFL franchise, in essence.

I saw it in a live interview and out of Eddie D's mouth. He chose not to remain owner. If he wanted to be, he could have been. He took the easy way out.

[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 5, 2010 at 17:11:10 ]
Originally posted by WINiner:

Legally speaking I don't believe there was ever an official ban, ala Pete Rose. Eddie D was suspended. He was strongly encouraged to release ownership. At the same time he was being sued by his sister for money he owed her. Debartalo Sr. always bought investments and gave them to BOTH Eddie and Denise. The entire time the Niners were NFL gods Denise was 50% owner. She gave him the choice. He could retain the Niners 100% or the property development company they shared in Florida. It was Eddie D's choice and he chose the development company. The NFL never told Eddie D. he couldn't be owner. They didn't have the authority to do so, any more than they could stop you from owning your car.

The worst they could have done is not allowed the Niners to be an NFL franchise, in essence.

I saw it in a live interview and out of Eddie D's mouth. He chose not to remain owner. If he wanted to be, he could have been. He took the easy way out.

Well, he needs to suck it up and get the team back.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

At the time of the interview, a few years ago, his management company was worth like 700million. The Niners are currently worth 875 according to Forbes. Straight across trade of assets and everything remains in place the way it is, except now Jed has Uncle Eddies influence.

Originally posted by BigDaddy:

At the time of the interview, a few years ago, his management company was worth like 700million. The Niners are currently worth 875 according to Forbes. Straight across trade of assets and everything remains in place the way it is, except now Jed has Uncle Eddies influence.

Even if it's a clandestine type of partnership, I say DO IT!