LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

NFL Modifies Numbering System

Shop 49ers game tickets
PFT.com

Quote:
Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2010 9:17 PM ET

Earlier today, the league made a tweak to its rigid numbering system, for several positions.

Centers previously had to choose numbers between 50 and 59, with 60 to 79 available if 50 to 59 weren't available. They now may choose any number between 50 and 79.

Defensive linemen may now choose from 60 to 70 and 90 to 99, and linebackers may pick a number from 50 to 59 or 90 to 99. These changes were aimed at recognizing the overlap between linebackers and defensive ends, especially in the 3-4 defense.

Also, the rules now permit a player to move from one position to another and keep his number, if he played the prior position for at least a year and if he is moving from a position that is eligible to receive passes to another eligible position, or if he is moving from one ineligible position to another ineligible position. This is the rule that, if on the books, would have allowed Devin Hester to keep number 23 after becoming a receiver. (For reasons not known to us, Hester was not required to change his number when he became a receiver.)

So if, for example, Vikings receiver Percy Harvin were to become a running back, he'd be permitted to keep No. 12, even though running backs are limited to a number from 20 to 49. Also, if Tim Tebow plays quarterback for a year at No. 15 and then moves to tight end or fullback, he'll be able to keep his number.

But if, say, Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel were to become a fullback or a tight end, he'd have to change his number.

[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 24, 2010 at 19:15:58 ]
Thanks for the info.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Thanks for the info.

No problem sir
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Dont look like much has changed. I wish they would just allow players to wear whatever number they wanted.
I hate when WRs wearing stupid numbers in the teens.

80-89 is a reciever

Thats the only thing i hate about crabtree
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

80-89 is a reciever

I think #15 is a good receiver number. 10-14, 16 and 18 suck though
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

80-89 is a reciever

I hate the fact that he held out like a douchebag.
O.K. . . . that does it . . . I quit the NFL . . . how the hell am I supposed to tell centers from tackles and guards now ? Huh? Huh?

80-89 is a reciever

15 is pretty clean for a WR
if u hate wr's wearing #'s in the teens i think u can thank keyshawn johson i remeber him coming out and wearing #19 and thinking man that just doesnt look right, it took a few years but then every wr coming out was taking a number in the teens like fitz roy williams mike jenkins and so on and so forth

Originally posted by susweel:
Dont look like much has changed. I wish they would just allow players to wear whatever number they wanted.

Yea, same here!

80-89 is a reciever

i hate numbers in the 80s
81 and 84 is the best

other than that..numbers in the teens are the best for recievers.

11 is my favorite
Originally posted by Fincham11:
Originally posted by susweel:

Yea, same here!

I like the system.
Share 49ersWebzone