There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

THE ANTI-NEW OVERTIME BANDWAGON

Originally posted by danimal:
This is a perpetual cycle that is never going to end.

A concept will arise that will add to the entertainment value of the product while taking away from the purity of the contest.

Over time the concept will grow ever more popular with the supporters who will either minimize or flat out reject any affect on the sanctity of the game.

Until the day when owners realize that it is popular enough to make more money off of.

This is how the NFL will continue to change the game of football.

You can call it evolution, or it could be devolution

I know. I know. *Sigh* Seeing it happen to the NFL of all things is just so damn difficult, though. The last 15 years have seen the degeneration of Movies, Music, MTV, and well...just about everything else to the point where it's all just unrecognizable anymore. The NFL was supposed to be pure, holy, untouchable. Roger Goodell sure put an end to that. Who would of thought we'd be longing for Tags this soon?
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Sticky this s**t. This rule change is SO f**kING STUPID!!!! The purpose of overtime is to END THE GAME. Who the hell plays for overtime anyway? Sudden Death is unfair you say?? Well guess what, you SHOULD HAVE WON DURING REGULATION!

If it comes down to OT, and you lose on the opening possesion, well WAH WAH all you want, but you had your chance. You had sixty minutes worth of football to win it and in OT you had better put up, or shut up. This is a farce. I hope it backfires on the NFL like nothing else.

you sound like the one whos going "WAH WAH".

sudden death is dumb. both teams scored the same amount of pts in regulation. the chance to win shouldnt be left up to a coin flip. what, just because you lost a 50/50 game of chance, you should have to be at a disadvantage?

the new rule would make it so the team who won the toss could still win it on their opening possession, they just have to EARN it by scoring a TD. if all they can get is a FG, the other team gets a chance to win or tie. then it becomes sudden death after.

it makes perfect sense.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Sticky this s**t. This rule change is SO f**kING STUPID!!!! The purpose of overtime is to END THE GAME. Who the hell plays for overtime anyway? Sudden Death is unfair you say?? Well guess what, you SHOULD HAVE WON DURING REGULATION!

If it comes down to OT, and you lose on the opening possesion, well WAH WAH all you want, but you had your chance. You had sixty minutes worth of football to win it and in OT you had better put up, or shut up. This is a farce. I hope it backfires on the NFL like nothing else.

sudden death is dumb. both teams scored the same amount of pts in regulation. the chance to win shouldnt be left up to a coin flip. what, just because you lost a 50/50 game of chance, you should have to be at a disadvantage?

the new rule would make it so the team who won the toss could still win it on their opening possession, they just have to EARN it by scoring a TD. if all they can get is a FG, the other team gets a chance to win or tie. then it becomes sudden death after.

it makes perfect sense.

The coin toss-sudden death was never put into place to be fair. It was put into place to help prevent tie games, while still encouraging the contestants to do everything POSSIBLE to win the game in regulation.

I don't understand why people call the coin toss-sudden death dumb. So are you implying that the people who set up the coin toss rule were retards or something.

Of course a Football game should not be decided by a coin toss. It is assumed that people are smart enough to get that. I guess not. You really should not be calling something dumb when you yourself fail to even understand its purpose.

Overtime Coin Toss - Followed by Sudden death represents a significant advantage that will be granted by chance. By its very nature it is unfair and that is EXACTLY why it was put into place. To discourage the decision makers of a team from playing for a tie at the near end.

The frequency of OT's will increase, and it will be directly related to this change because they removed a huge deterrent.

But now the fans will get 5 more mins of action and more game winning TD's vs FG's.

Clearly, this is an entertainment initiative and nothing more.

[ Edited by danimal on Mar 31, 2010 at 16:26:34 ]

it makes perfect sense.

The coin toss-sudden death was never put into place to be fair. It was put into place to help prevent tie games, while still encouraging the contestants to do everything POSSIBLE to win the game in regulation.

I don't understand why people call the coin toss-sudden death dumb. So are you implying that the people who set up the coin toss rule were retards or something.

Of course a Football game should not be decided by a coin toss. It is assumed that people are smart enough to get that. I guess not. You really should not be calling something dumb when you yourself fail to even understand its purpose.

Overtime Coin Toss - Followed by Sudden death represents a significant advantage that will be granted by chance. By its very nature it is unfair and that is EXACTLY why it was put into place. To discourage the decision makers of a team from playing for a tie at the near end.

The frequency of OT's will increase, and it will be directly related to this change because they removed a huge deterrent.

But now the fans will get 5 more mins of action and more game winning TD's vs FG's.

you watch the NFL for entertainment......so thanks for proving that this new rule is better because it makes the games more entertaining
they shouldn't implement this new rule in the regular season though...in fact, they should do away with OT in the regular season and let games end in ties....

Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

it makes perfect sense.

you watch the NFL for entertainment......so thanks for proving that this new rule is better because it makes the games more entertaining

Entertainment is a side effect for me. I watch the NFL because I respect the hell out of the game. I played all the way up to High School and admire the hell out of anybody who had the ability to play college ball and beyond.

I love the contest. It is a great game. But there are different versions of this game. It was played different in the 60's compared to the 50's, 70's compared to the 60's....etc etc

And not all the change was improvement according to all.

But it was a good assumption on your part, because most fans do indeed primarily watch the NFL for entertainment.

That is why purists like me will always lose, because we are in the minority. And when everyone is cheering over the 5 qtr game that ended 55-48...just try to remember that does not make the game better. Just more entertaining.