LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

THE ANTI-NEW OVERTIME BANDWAGON

Shop 49ers game tickets
Sticky this s**t. This rule change is SO f**kING STUPID!!!! The purpose of overtime is to END THE GAME. Who the hell plays for overtime anyway? Sudden Death is unfair you say?? Well guess what, you SHOULD HAVE WON DURING REGULATION!

If it comes down to OT, and you lose on the opening possesion, well WAH WAH all you want, but you had your chance. You had sixty minutes worth of football to win it and in OT you had better put up, or shut up. This is a farce. I hope it backfires on the NFL like nothing else.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Sticky this s**t. This rule change is SO f**kING STUPID!!!! The purpose of overtime is to END THE GAME. Who the hell plays for overtime anyway? Sudden Death is unfair you say?? Well guess what, you SHOULD HAVE WON DURING REGULATION!

If it comes down to OT, and you lose on the opening possesion, well WAH WAH all you want, but you had your chance. You had sixty minutes worth of football to win it and in OT you had better put up, or shut up. This is a farce. I hope it backfires on the NFL like nothing else.
Why would it backfire? It's an evolution of the game. I am sure fans were saying the same thing when OT was first added to the game, but like instant replay it is a needed evolution of the game. As the average kicker's kicking distance has increased over the years, the OT has went from a 50-50 split to favoring the team with ball first.
This new rule actually makes it easier for the team that kicks the ball in OT. They kick-off and are still garaunteed possession along with a chance at a shorter field from a punt to win the game whereas the team with the first possession most likely gets it from their 20 on their possession.
Originally posted by cubanb:

Why would it backfire? It's an evolution of the game. I am sure fans were saying the same thing when OT was first added to the game, but like instant replay it is a needed evolution of the game. As the average kicker's kicking distance has increased over the years, the OT has went from a 50-50 split to favoring the team with ball first.

Well, if the kickers are getting better, then you had make sure you don't get to OT! Expanding the extra period is asinine. The quality of end-of-game play is going to plummet because the owners have basically added a 5th quarter to the game.

Well, if the kickers are getting better, then you had make sure you don't get to OT! Expanding the extra period is asinine. The quality of end-of-game play is going to plummet because the owners have basically added a 5th quarter to the game.

Nobody is gonna get lazy in the 4th cause they have ot to fall back on. Everyone will still play to win.
The overtime rule they did is stupid. If they want to make it like college then make it like college. If they score a TD it's over. If they score a FG the other team gets the ball... Just do it they each get a possession. If they both score they each get another possession. Until the tie is broke like in college. The rule they made is stupid. Who comes up with this garbage?

Nobody is gonna get lazy in the 4th cause they have ot to fall back on. Everyone will still play to win.

Dude, you just watch and see. This generation of punk-ass young players are only going to care about the opportunity to reach stat-based escalators in their contracts thanks to how easy it now is to extend the game to 75 minutes.

As the game evolves, so do the rookies, and year after year we are seeing more and more of them bring their love of money to the league over their love of the game.
it passed. GET OVER IT !
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
it passed. GET OVER IT !

This. Some of you act like your b***hing is actually going to do something.
I agree with the OP. ITs stupid because its a different set of rules in the playoffs than the regular season. You want consistency and having a different set of rules for the playoffs makes it more difficult.

The rule itself is dumb because you are keeping players on the field longer in the playoffs which means more likelihood of getting hurt during a time when you really want to stay healthy. It also lengthens the game which goes against everything they have been doing the past few years to shorten the game.

This IMO is another attempt at Goodell trying to leave his stamp on the league. My message to Goodell:

You wanna leave a stamp on the league? Get the owners and players to agree on a new CBA mothaF****R so I can watch football in 2011!

as of now it's only in the postseason. so all the talk of escalators and what have you is irrelevant.
so the two reasons why the rules were changed are

1. they don't want gamed to end on anti-climactic field goals.

and 2. they want the give both teams a chance to win in overtime on offense.

so the team that wins the toss can still get the ball and score a TD and not give the other team offensive possession...... and here's a very realistic scenario..... team that wins the toss is on the opponent 30, 4th and 1. the other team can now play for a field goal.

....so basically this rule change has accomplished nothing.

college rules, except from the 40. and have you to go for 2 if you score a TD .... why can't it be that simple.....
Oh good lord, get a life. There's nothing you can do about the change, so get over it.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
it passed. GET OVER IT !

This. Some of you act like your b***hing is actually going to do something.
i like this rule better
Share 49ersWebzone