LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 194 users in the forums

NFL Passes New Overtime Proposal

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by valrod33:
leave it the way it is.

Dont give me that s**t about its not fair blah blah blah. Its the defenses fault if they lose they get paid to stop the other team.

I am a HUGE fan of the change, however, not because the old way was not "fair." Let me explain...

The old "sudden death" rule changed the entire fabric of football. Typically (barring time constraints) nobody drives down the field hoping for a field goal. The object of the game is to score a TD and the field goal is what teams end up settling for. But under the old OT rules this concept was turned on its head. Teams would drive down 40 yards, become conservative on purpose so they could kick a field-goal. That is not the way football is played for the other 60 minutes (barring time restrictions). Why change it?
Also, sudden death still applies equally to both teams. A TD wins whether it is done on offense, defense (see Packers/Cards playoff game), or special teams (kick off return). and finally, all facets of the game are involved and equally important still as opposed to college OT.
Suffice it to say the new OT rules are a big improvement and should be universalized.
I don't know how anyone can be against the rule change
Love the change, but why just for the postseason? The rules should be same same for all games, regular or post-season (except of course for ending in a tie). Is the issue really just fear of injury?
So just to be clear, each team gets an "opportunity" for offensive possession of the ball, so if.....

SCENARIO 1:
1. Team A wins toss, drives down, kicks field goal.
2. Team A then kicks off to Team B,
3. But TEAM A special teams somehow recovers the live ball on kick-off, Team B had its opportunity to possess the ball but its special teams failed.
4. Team A wins right?

SCENARIO 2: (mentioned in earlier post)
1. Team A wins toss, but offense gets a safety
2. Team B wins right?
Originally posted by valrod33:
this sucks
Originally posted by HearstFan:
So just to be clear, each team gets an "opportunity" for offensive possession of the ball, so if.....

SCENARIO 1:
3. But TEAM A special teams somehow recovers the live ball on kick-off, Team B had its opportunity to possess the ball but its special teams failed.
4. Team A wins right?

2. Team B wins right?

s**t, I don't know, now I'm confused lol
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

SCENARIO 1:
4. Team A wins right?

2. Team B wins right?

s**t, I don't know, now I'm confused lol

those are some good f**king questions

SCENARIO 1:
4. Team A wins right?

2. Team B wins right?

ya both scenarios you are right
Originally posted by ramanz16:
Love the change, but why just for the postseason? The rules should be same same for all games, regular or post-season (except of course for ending in a tie). Is the issue really just fear of injury?

Probably just a sort of a small-time trial basis.

-9fA
  • dmax
  • Veteran
This is garbage, Its up to the Defense to stop the offense..period! If they cant then they deserve to lose by a fg

Originally posted by dmax:
This is garbage, Its up to the Defense to stop the offense..period! If they cant then they deserve to lose by a fg

The problem with first strike sudden death is that if you're on defense you're not playing to win - you're playing to "not lose".
And the fact that a coin toss puts you in this position is ludicrous.

shouldnt the other defense be put up to the same challenge then?
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

shouldnt the other defense be put up to the same challenge then?

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

SCENARIO 1:
4. Team A wins right?

2. Team B wins right?

ya both scenarios you are right

Whats dumb is that this was all because of people wanting to insure that both QB's got the ball in OT

but

win toss kickoff return for td game over neither QB gets the ball LOL
win toss score a TD on the drive game over other QB still doesn't see the ball LOL
win toss QB tosses a pick 6 game over other QB still doesn't see the ball LOL

what I see is better clock management during regulation and going for TD's rather than settle for FG to win a game

more aggressive play calling in OT games to get the TD instead of just setting up for FG

won't see anymore FG on 3rd downs

if they only use it for the playoffs rather dumb rules should be the same in the regular season as well
Now the debate is if this will pass for the regular season, heck even pre season.
Share 49ersWebzone