There are 220 users in the forums

NFL Passes New Overtime Proposal

Shop 49ers game tickets
thats okay. its not perfect, but its a little better. It could add some drama.

i think just guaranteeing each team one possession would make more sense. and i think they should just do away with OT in the regular season. Let it end in a tie.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Watch, now there won't be a single OT game in the POs next year.

OT's will increase in the playoffs now.

In fact I think I am going to do some research and make sure to record some before and after percentages.

Opponents of the over time rule changes are afraid they will result in more OT's. There is still some of us who would rather have OT handicapped if that handicap can help keeping the rate of OT down.

If OT periods increase in the playoffs now, that would support our concern.
leave it the way it is.

Dont give me that s**t about its not fair blah blah blah. Its the defenses fault if they lose they get paid to stop the other team.
The 49ers will be playing the Cowboys at home in the playoffs next season.

The game will go into overtime. We will win the coin toss, and go down and kick a field goal. Any other year we would have won the game...any other year but this one. With the new overtime rule, the Cowboys march down on the next possession, scoring a touchdown to win the game.

Niner Talk explodes.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
The 49ers will be playing the Cowboys at home in the playoffs next season.

The game will go into overtime. We will win the coin toss, and go down and kick a field goal. Any other year we would have won the game...any other year but this one. With the new overtime rule, the Cowboys march down on the next possession, scoring a touchdown to win the game.

Niner Talk explodes.

Or it could be the other way around
Originally posted by valrod33:
leave it the way it is.

Dont give me that s**t about its not fair blah blah blah. Its the defenses fault if they lose they get paid to stop the other team.

It's a new world of soft ass people where everything has to be done fairly. My question is how long is gonna take for folks to say well regardless of a TD the other team should still get a chance to match that. it's unfair
Originally posted by lamontb:
leave it the way it is.

It's a new world of soft ass people where everything has to be done fairly. My question is how long is gonna take for folks to say well regardless of a TD the other team should still get a chance to match that. it's unfair

Sports evolve over time and rules sometimes need to be changed to keep up.
The competition committee and nearly all owners agree and that's why they're the ones making these decisions and not a bunch of bitter, curmudgeonly fans that are stuck in their ways.

Change that promotes competition and fairness is a good thing and disagreeing with it because you think people are getting "soft" or they're just not tough like back in the olden days is just laughable.
Hell while we're at it why don't we bring back those tiny leather helmets, get rid of shoulder pads and play ironman style so we can be gritty and hard like pappy used to be!
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
They should change it for the regular season too.
Originally posted by scopur49er:
leave it the way it is.

The competition committee and nearly all owners agree and that's why they're the ones making these decisions and not a bunch of bitter, curmudgeonly fans that are stuck in their ways.

Change that promotes competition and fairness is a good thing and disagreeing with it because you think people are getting "soft" or they're just not tough like back in the olden days is just laughable.
Hell while we're at it why don't we bring back those tiny leather helmets, get rid of shoulder pads and play ironman style so we can be gritty and hard like pappy used to be!

LOL.

well since you couldnt stop the other team lets give you a chance to score a td, cuz thats whats fair

if a game is tied in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to go and one team leads a drive and kicks a FG with no time left are we gonna give the other team a chance to score?
I like it.

Anything is better than the way it was. I think it's pretty fair.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
leave it the way it is.

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I like it.

Me too. I think it's going to be way more entertaining, which is really the objective of sports in the first place. The people who think it's "soft" can go ice trucking.
Originally posted by scopur49er:
leave it the way it is.

LOL.

well since you couldnt stop the other team lets give you a chance to score a td, cuz thats whats fair

if a game is tied in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to go and one team leads a drive and kicks a FG with no time left are we gonna give the other team a chance to score?

The rules for overtime aren't "First team to make a defensive stand wins". It's "First team to SCORE wins" and the way you score is primarily on offense. A team that doesn't recieve that opportunity is getting shorted.

During the 4 quarters of regulation time there are plenty of opportunities to both stop the other team AND score hence your example = fail.

Because overtime is sudden death, it's basically like starting the game over again and resetting the score so what you're saying is that, by comparison, it would be fair if we just eliminated all 4 quarters and the 60 minutes of regulation playtime from the game and just made it so the first team to score wins and a coin flip decides who gets the first opportunity to score because that's essentially what happens in overtime right now.

[ Edited by scopur49er on Mar 23, 2010 at 14:16:55 ]
yea, all it takes is a decent return, a couple first downs and the teams wins with a field goal. I like the change. It'll be for the full season by next year I'm sure.
Share 49ersWebzone