There are 159 users in the forums

NFL Passes New Overtime Proposal

Shop 49ers game tickets
Quote:

The NFL has changed its overtime rules for playoff games.

Starting next season, if a team wins the coin toss and then kicks a field goal, the other team gets the ball.

If the game is still tied after that, play will continue under the current sudden-death rules. Should the team winning the toss immediately score a touchdown, then the game is over.

Team owners voted 28-4 on Tuesday in favor of the proposal at the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando, Fla. The new rule applies only for postseason games.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the four teams to vote against the changes were the Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals and Minnesota Vikings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8171b356&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Mar 23, 2010 at 12:43:31 ]
Bad call IMO

[ Edited by danimal on Mar 23, 2010 at 12:43:57 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I like this better than the first to 6 points rule.

Only difference really is, that say team A gets a FG on its first possession, then team B gets the ball they HAVE to score a FG to keep it going on that possession.
Wish it was for regular season too
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Watch, now there won't be a single OT game in the POs next year.
this sucks
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:

Or there won't be one ever again
Originally posted by TX9R:

OT's will increase in the playoffs now.
I find it odd that the Vikings voted against it.

This rule is way too weird anyways, just do college rules and make them start at midfield.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Can someone forward that to Donovan McNabb so he knows

• Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Can someone forward that to Donovan McNabb so he knows

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I find it odd that the Vikings voted against it.

This rule is way too weird anyways, just do college rules and make them start at midfield.

I agree with this except I think they should start with the kick off. But i'm happy with this.

When a team gets to the 30-20 yard line, do you think they will just run the ball and kick the field goal, or are they gonna go for the TD?... I like it.
They should change it for the regular season too.
This is way better than how it was.
Nobody wants the outcome of a game to hinge on a coin toss. The coin toss winning team has too much of an advantage and this largely eliminates that advantage.
Good call NFL!
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
They should change it for the regular season too.

I would bet that if this change is well received and we have so good playoff finishes because of it, it will be implemented in the future.
Share 49ersWebzone