LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

McNabb rumors (ESPN, NFL Network, TMZ, and more)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Quote:
ESPN's Sal Paolantonio believes the situation in Philadelphia has reached the point where Donovan McNabb "can't possibly succeed" in 2010.
Sal Pal pointed out that the Eagles made McNabb "the lamest of lame duck quarterbacks," alienated him, and "undermined his moral authority in the locker room" by not extending him beyond 2010 while entertaining trade talks. The situation appears to be beyond fixing, and McNabb's comments indicate that he's ready to move on to a new team. The 49ers may be emerging as a "darkhorse" candidate.
Source: ESPN.com
Related: Kevin Kolb, 49ers
via roto

when was this article posted?

It said March 25th.

interesting..

Just more speculation.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Quote:
The 49ers already have two first-round choices. They could draft the offensive tackle they need and still get a potential starter at another position. The Eagles already have an extra third-round choice. An additional second-rounder would leave them with five choices in the first three rounds, tied with the Browns for the most in the league.

Let's look at this deal from an NFC West perspective. Would the Cardinals, Seahawks and Rams rather face the 49ers with McNabb or the 49ers with Smith and whichever player San Francisco drafted in the second round? I think they'd rather take their chances with Smith and the 2010 second-rounder.

Take a look at the last 10 players the 49ers have drafted in the second round: Chilo Rachal, David Baas, Justin Smiley, Shawntae Spencer, Anthony Adams, Jamie Winborn, John Engelberger, Jason Webster, Jeremy Newberry and Marc Edwards.

Some became good players. None could affect games the way good quarterbacks affect games.

Some Eagles fans are tired of McNabb. They think Philadelphia has gotten as far as McNabb can take them. They're ready for a change. The 49ers can have no such complaints. They haven't been a playoff team since 2002. They would gladly "settle" for multiple playoff appearances and a quarterback with a 92-49-1 (.651) regular-season starting record, according to Pro Football Reference.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/16087/should-the-49ers-pursue-mcnabb
My personal opinion is that if the 9ers could get McNabb for something like this years #2 and a # 3 next season they would be crazy not to do it. He has 3-4 very good years left and makes the 9ers (barring injuries) a 10-12 win team.
Originally posted by sachie23:
My personal opinion is that if the 9ers could get McNabb for something like this years #2 and a # 3 next season they would be crazy not to do it. He has 3-4 very good years left and makes the 9ers (barring injuries) a 10-12 win team.

i agree man. How long have we been in "rebuilding" mode now? It's pretty pathetic. Time to start winning. And I don't think Smith is the man to get us there.
PFT Daily: Suddenly McNabb Trade Seems Inevitable

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by PTulini:
PFT Daily: Suddenly McNabb Trade Seems Inevitable

Its gonna happen whether you like it or not.

McNabb...

I would take McNabb in a heart beat. Look how Kurt Warner turned out and Brett Favre, in their late 30s and early 40s. We need a franchise QB.

I would be fine with trading the #2 pick. Or being creative, getting McNabb and flopping our 17th pick for the eagles first rounder, and flopping our 2nd and third round picks for the eagles 2nd and third rounders. This way you give up no picks, just draft slots.
  • seanh
  • Veteran
If we are pursuing any of the philly QBs it better be Kolb.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by seanh:

they aint trading Kolb

Just like Sando said...if you were the Cards, Hawks, or Rams who would you rather face? 49ers with McNabb minus a 2nd rounder or 49ers with Smith plus a 2nd rounder? It's really that simple. I think Smith can do better this year, no doubt...and honestly, I don't really even like McNabb. But I want to win now. I'm tired of trying to "build" and "hope for the best."

Yea I'm tampering my expectations and lowering my standards. All I want to do is make the playoffs.
  • seanh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

they aint trading Kolb

Highly unlikely they will. He's the only one worth pursuing in my opinion. McNabb is a bandaid solution.

they aint trading Kolb

Highly unlikely they will. He's the only one worth pursuing in my opinion. McNabb is a bandaid solution.

That's the thing...even though he's a bandaid solution, I'd still rather take that then "hoping" something can happen. I know it's not set in stone that we'd make the playoffs with McNabb, but it sure as hell is more likely than with Smith.

And to reiterate, I think Smith will get better next year and I'm not a huge McNabb fan...he's just way more likely to make our team playoff bound based on his current skills.

they aint trading Kolb

Why? What couldn't he play at a high level for the next 4 to 5 years? I doubt Alex ever gets to McNabb status and if we draft a rookie we are working off a hope and a prayer.

I think a lot of you guys are hoping we get the next Payton, of Joe who goes on to play for the next decade and lead the Niners to a Superbowl a few times within that span.

There is a saying: A bird in the hand is better than two Smith and Carr in a bush.
Quote:
The 49ers already have two first-round choices. They could draft the offensive tackle they need and still get a potential starter at another position. The Eagles already have an extra third-round choice. An additional second-rounder would leave them with five choices in the first three rounds, tied with the Browns for the most in the league.

Let's look at this deal from an NFC West perspective. Would the Cardinals, Seahawks and Rams rather face the 49ers with McNabb or the 49ers with Smith and whichever player San Francisco drafted in the second round? I think they'd rather take their chances with Smith and the 2010 second-rounder.

Take a look at the last 10 players the 49ers have drafted in the second round: Chilo Rachal, David Baas, Justin Smiley, Shawntae Spencer, Anthony Adams, Jamie Winborn, John Engelberger, Jason Webster, Jeremy Newberry and Marc Edwards.

Some became good players. None could affect games the way good quarterbacks affect games.

Some Eagles fans are tired of McNabb. They think Philadelphia has gotten as far as McNabb can take them. They're ready for a change. The 49ers can have no such complaints. They haven't been a playoff team since 2002. They would gladly "settle" for multiple playoff appearances and a quarterback with a 92-49-1 (.651) regular-season starting record, according to Pro Football Reference.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/16087/should-the-49ers-pursue-mcnabb

I was saying f*ck no to this idea for a while but now that the Eagles have lowered their offer for his services why not just look at the past 2nd rounders we have drafted nobody that stands out or has been really at a pro bowl level.

I would rather give up a 2nd rounder for McNabb then have to face him within our division he might not win us the Super Bowl but he can make us into a INSTANT playoff team witch i know every zoner wants.

That way we can groom Davis or a rookie next year when we kick Mcnabbto the curb in 2 or 3 years.

lets take a chance Balke/Singletary i mean if u can give a guy like Smith so many chances why not McNabb & proven NFL vet.

I STILL DONT TRUST ALEX LEAF NOR THE OLD CARR WE JUST BOUGHT
to take us to the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone