There are 276 users in the forums

Dolphins put G Justin Smiley on trading block

Shop 49ers game tickets
ProFootballTalk.com

Quote:
Report: Smiley is on the trade block
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 22, 2010 10:03 AM ET
The addition of Richie Incognito in Miami means a subtraction is coming on the Dolphins offensive line.

Edgar Thompson of the Palm Beach Post reports guard Justin Smiley has been told to stay away from the team's offseason conditioning program because the team plans to trade him.

Smiley got $9 million guaranteed to sign with Miami in 2008, but hasn't lived up to expectations and has struggled to stay healthy. Still, Smiley is only 28 years old and has started 73 games in his six year career. There should be a market for him.
It's funny how so many people blasted McC for not keeping Smiley, it looks like Miami is trying to get rid of him because he can't stay healthy and hasn't lived up to expectations:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/report-smiley-is-on-the-trade-block/
.g................g....uh.............get him?
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
It's funny how so many people blasted McC for not keeping Smiley, it looks like Miami is trying to get rid of him because he can't stay healthy and hasn't lived up to expectations:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/report-smiley-is-on-the-trade-block/

The issue I'm sure is that he can't stay healthy. When healthy he was getting rave reviews in Miami and considered a huge part of the dominant running game Miami has had the past couple years. But he makes a ton of money to be occasionally really good. Our guard play has completely fallen off the map (as has Gore's YPC) since Allen and Smiley left.

I can't fathom how Richie Incognito would somehow be considered an upgrade though.
Bring him back!
Originally posted by 49erWill:
This board is bipolar

extremely bipolar.
Just a thought here.

Could it be (now that we see things in retrospect) that McCloughan declined to compete financially for Smiley, because McCloughan knew that Smiley was damaged goods, and that McCloughan had learned from the Jonas Jennings experiment, that he didn't want to go there again, that is, investing big FA $ in a fragile player?

Parcels who certainly knows O-linemen really wanted Smiley. At the time, it seemed that McCloughan's famous quote, you can get guards", explained his lack of interest in re-signing Smiley. Maybe that was selling McCloughan's judgement a little short.

Smiley had played hurt with the Niners (16 games with a torn shoulder labrum), which was the same injury that Jennings could NOT play through. Maybe all that toughness by Smiley took its toll, and that the club's doctors made that fact known to McCloughan. Maybe the Niners medical staff at Stanford was sharper that the Dolphins medical staff in examing Smiley.

Just sayin.........
So, um. Could it be that McClueless made the right decision in letting him go?

Damn!
Originally posted by darkknight49:
This board is bipolar

extremely bipolar.

tell me something i dont know..

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
This board is bipolar

extremely bipolar.

A woman's boobies are soft, and she's even softer "inside".

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
This board is bipolar

extremely bipolar.

A woman's boobies are soft, and she's even softer "inside".

..... .....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Smiley was always an average player. The niners just dont know how to draft guards.
All that tampering for nothing
Championship
Share 49ersWebzone