LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Roethlisberger accused of sexual assault (suspended 6 games)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by danimal:
Yo SD listen to this story, its a pretty good one.

A few years ago when Kobe Bryant was accused of rape some friends of mine were in a pretty heated debate. Is he really a rapist or not?

Like I said, pretty heated....and we were all pretty divided over it.

So my friend JB squashed the whole argument.

He asked if you had a 20 yr old attractive Daughter who works at so and so Hotel, and you became aware that Kobe Bryant would be staying there the next night.....
would you or would you not insist she call in sick that night?

We all went back to our beers.

Why would she call in sick? She has a job to do.

To avoid the rape.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

A few years ago when Kobe Bryant was accused of rape some friends of mine were in a pretty heated debate. Is he really a rapist or not?

He asked if you had a 20 yr old attractive Daughter who works at so and so Hotel, and you became aware that Kobe Bryant would be staying there the next night.....

To avoid the rape.

Did he rape somebody? Or did I miss something? Because I don't think he's ever been convicted of something like that.

To avoid the rape.

To avoid the rape.

dang Val called it.

WOW. I am speechless. I am literally without speech.

Check it out, I think I know how to blow the circuits on this robotic series of respsonses.

Yo SD.

You are an eyewitness and you watched Mr. ORange rape a girl. Charges are never pressed and you never get a chance to testify.

OK now, its Mr Orange who is staying at the Hotel. Your Daughter is scheduled. She still has a job to do right? He has NEVER been convicted of any crime, and actually has never been arrested. Model citizen.

To avoid the rape.

dang Val called it.

WOW. I am speechless. I am literally without speech.

Check it out, I think I know how to blow the circuits on this robotic series of respsonses.

Yo SD.

You are an eyewitness and you watched Mr. ORange rape a girl. Charges are never pressed and you never get a chance to testify.

OK now, its Mr Orange who is staying at the Hotel. Your Daughter is scheduled. She still has a job to do right? He has NEVER been convicted of any crime, and actually has never been arrested. Model citizen.

Nobody watched anybody do anything in either case. You are making stuff up. Both Kobe and Big Ben are model citizens. They work hard and take care of their family. They have never been convicted of any crimes.
So he got suspended six games huh? Damn!
SD - You Win. Start a petition to free Ben. I'll sign.

Foreign - The conduct policy(like most employments policies in Corporate America) is designed to be flexible and ambiguous. Thus leaving much of the punitive measures to the judgment of the commissioner. So you will give yourself a headache trying to find equity in these cases and their various outcomes. Lastly, you should probably assume the commissioner is better informed than ourselves who rely solely on media.

Foreign - The conduct policy(like most employments policies in Corporate America) is designed to be flexible and ambiguous. Thus leaving much of the punitive measures to the judgment of the commissioner. So you will give yourself a headache trying to find equity in these cases and their various outcomes. Lastly, you should probably assume the commissioner is better informed than ourselves who rely solely on media.

Foreign - The conduct policy(like most employments policies in Corporate America) is designed to be flexible and ambiguous. Thus leaving much of the punitive measures to the judgment of the commissioner. So you will give yourself a headache trying to find equity in these cases and their various outcomes. Lastly, you should probably assume the commissioner is better informed than ourselves who rely solely on

I agree that it's designed to be flexible, I'm just worried that the media's reaction to this situation is what made Ben's suspension so lengthy. I know that there's nothing I can do but I feel as though the Commish is reacting to the public outrage, and the public is reacting to the media coverage.

For example, I haven't heard one media outlet give me her BAL at the time of the accusations. I haven't heard Ben's side of the story or the story of the people with him. I haven't heard the media explain why Ben was let off. They seem to be obsessed with what could have happened rather than what did happen.

I agree that the NFL should take action, however I don't feel it would have been as serious if the media hadn't run with this story. I don't feel sorry for Ben because he is the one putting himself in these bad situations, but he does seem to have been vilified without proof.
Originally posted by foreign49er:

Foreign - The conduct policy(like most employments policies in Corporate America) is designed to be flexible and ambiguous. Thus leaving much of the punitive measures to the judgment of the commissioner. So you will give yourself a headache trying to find equity in these cases and their various outcomes. Lastly, you should probably assume the commissioner is better informed than ourselves who rely solely on

I agree that it's designed to be flexible, I'm just worried that the media's reaction to this situation is what made Ben's suspension so lengthy. I know that there's nothing I can do but I feel as though the Commish is reacting to the public outrage, and the public is reacting to the media coverage.

For example, I haven't heard one media outlet give me her BAL at the time of the accusations. I haven't heard Ben's side of the story or the story of the people with him. I haven't heard the media explain why Ben was let off. They seem to be obsessed with what could have happened rather than what did happen.

I agree that the NFL should take action, however I don't feel it would have been as serious if the media hadn't run with this story. I don't feel sorry for Ben because he is the one putting himself in these bad situations, but he does seem to have been vilified without proof.

I've read several stories about the investigation itself and many of them can be found in this thread.

A 4 game suspension is longer than I thought would be handed down. But on one hand it makes sense to make an example of Roethlisberger. Its about not getting into stupid situations, being adults, and treating women right. There are far too many NFL players being accused of, convicted of violent crimes against women. If you lay down the hammer on a marquee QB, it might not only help him get his act together but others as well.

Very reasonable and very real concern. Yes. I am certain Goodell also takes into account the Publics reaction....seeing as is we are his customers. And yes....the media does ultimately get to decide they are going to cover the hell out of one story while largely ignoring another.

But don't be too sympathetic. The higher profile athletes profit off of their higher profiles also. Ben has been enjoying many more endorsement deals than some 3rd string safety...so of course he is also going to get more of the bad pub as well.

At the end of the day...give regular people more credit. Most rational human beings prick their ears when they recognize patterns. The media is not telling me to be careful of this guy. 2 allegations in 1 year is.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Huckleberry - ABSOLUTELY.

You are a perfect example of someone who just doesn't get it.

Ya, I don't get how you believe someone can be punished based on false allegations.

well now you are speaking in contradictions and in a vaccuum.

He is being punished on a contractual level, so of course I am going to agree with consequences due to those conditions.

And you just got done implying that his presence in the bar with the female is a true fact.....so what false allegation is Goodell making?

I'm not speaking contradictions.

I believe players should be punished for violating the personal conduct policy. But if there is no proof of a violation, then they shouldn't be punished.

How is just being at a bar a violation of the personal conduct policy?

Ben works for the NFL, if the NFL wants to suspend him that's THEIR right to do so even if he doesn't get charged by the law.

Maybe that will make Big Ben think twice about who he goes out with to a bar. I see nothing wrong with it.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I've read several stories about the investigation itself and many of them can be found in this thread.

A 4 game suspension is longer than I thought would be handed down. But on one hand it makes sense to make an example of Roethlisberger. Its about not getting into stupid situations, being adults, and treating women right. There are far too many NFL players being accused of, convicted of violent crimes against women. If you lay down the hammer on a marquee QB, it might not only help him get his act together but others as well.

I understand that and I'm sure there are stories about the investigation and if I tried I could find Ben's side. My worry is that the common person won't. They only hear on CNN or ESPN or (insert big media company) the allegations this girl made and that Ben is possibly a rapist. I, personally, don't think it's fair for these news agencies to spread rumors at his expense just to keep people interested.

I understand that a message is being sent and that's my point. Would a message have been sent if the media hadn't picked up on it? I don't think so. I think this was a reaction to this story becoming bigger than just the NFL. They gave him this suspension to save face publicly and are hiding behind the conduct policy (which has been broken numerous times before without suspensions).

Very reasonable and very real concern. Yes. I am certain Goodell also takes into account the Publics reaction....seeing as is we are his customers. And yes....the media does ultimately get to decide they are going to cover the hell out of one story while largely ignoring another.

But don't be too sympathetic. The higher profile athletes profit off of their higher profiles also. Ben has been enjoying many more endorsement deals than some 3rd string safety...so of course he is also going to get more of the bad pub as well.

At the end of the day...give regular people more credit. Most rational human beings prick their ears when they recognize patterns. The media is not telling me to be careful of this guy. 2 allegations in 1 year is.

I'm not sympathetic to Ben. It's not like he's going to prison for the first 6 weeks of the season, he's got it made in the shade.

Also, don't forget, no charges filed in one year and not one cent paid in a civil suit.

I just want people to look at both sides and check their sources. Let's not jump on the "RAPIST!!! BURN HIM!!!" bandwagon because some drunk 20 year old girl said so and the media ran with it. That is all.
Share 49ersWebzone