LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 138 users in the forums

Overtime Rule Change Proposal

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Why not just play another 15 minutes?

it's a violent sport it's easy for folks at home to say that but that's not realistic from a player standpoint.

(i'm just assuming here) but i think it's also due to 15min possibly translating into as much as 45 min in real time (after regulation probably going a few past their scheduled times.... and the overtime would mess up the networks contracts with tv shows following any games....

Good point that would be a huge part of it also. Networks not gonna like that at all.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I agree...

I'm not big on change..but if they're going to change keep going for 15 minute quarters till someone is winning at the end of one.

because there will be situations when a team could be better suited to win in 5 quarters vs 4.

The game of football is designed to be fair in every single aspect for the regulation period. A tie is a FAILURE of both teams to claim victory. Both teams SHOULD lose the right to a fair over time period.

Overtime is not fair and that is by design. This is how you discourage teams playing FOR overtime.

The rule should not change

Both teams having failed to achieve a win within the regulated period, neither team is entitled to the points. Game over. No overtime. Finish.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I agree...

I'm not big on change..but if they're going to change keep going for 15 minute quarters till someone is winning at the end of one.

because there will be situations when a team could be better suited to win in 5 quarters vs 4.

The game of football is designed to be fair in every single aspect for the regulation period. A tie is a FAILURE of both teams to claim victory. Both teams SHOULD lose the right to a fair over time period.

Overtime is not fair and that is by design. This is how you discourage teams playing FOR overtime.

The rule should not change

Both teams having failed to achieve a win within the regulated period, neither team is entitled to the points. Game over. No overtime. Finish.
I think that idea would flop more than an Italian soccer player.

I still feel a period of around 5 extra minutes should be played to settle OT. That's plenty of time for both teams to at least get a crack on offense.
not gonna happen. theses rule change proposals over the last few months are ridiculous !
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
welcome to NCAA college football

NCAA changed their rules to this?
Originally posted by RonMexico:

NCAA is similar, except that if the first team scores a touchdown, the second team gets a chance to match. What the NFL is proposing is that the 2nd team only gets a 'rebuttal' if the 1st team scores a FG
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

NCAA is similar, except that if the first team scores a touchdown, the second team gets a chance to match. What the NFL is proposing is that the 2nd team only gets a 'rebuttal' if the 1st team scores a FG

Man that's stupid.

I say either:
- play another 5 minutes. Leader at the end wins the game. If it's still tied, the game ends in a tie.
- go to college rules, but start from the 50 yard line.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

Man that's stupid.

I say either:
- play another 5 minutes. Leader at the end wins the game. If it's still tied, the game ends in a tie.

really??

i kind of like the idea, but if they are going to propose a change like this, they might as well EXACTLY copy the college rules
Has anyone tried that new Chicken McNugget olympic sauce?
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

lmao

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

Man that's stupid.

I say either:

wouldn't work because one drive can be longer than 5 minutes. a good team can hold the ball the whole time and kick a FG. which is what they're trying to change anyways.

Quote:

i like this.... and if a team scores a TD, you have to go for a 2 pt conversion.
i just disagree with a coin flip possibly deciding the game with a one sided score
It probably has to do with the ridiculous stat on like 80% of teams to get hte ball first wins the game in overtime. If you think about it, you only really need 35-40 yards after a decent kickoff return to win the game, since almost all kickers can nail a 50yarder
Originally posted by momoney925:
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

lmao

No one answered my question.

Excuse me, for not wanting to create a new thread for a simple question.
Just have a quick skills contest.

Longest punt>>>>>>>>>>>>5 pts
Longest FG>>>>>>>>>>>>>5 pts
Farthest pass thrown>>>>>>>7 pts
Fastest 40 yd dash>>>>>>>>8 pts
HC hot dog eating contest>>>>10 pts
Share 49ersWebzone