There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Overtime Rule Change Proposal

• Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Why not just play another 15 minutes?

This, or like basketball, play a shorter period. Say 8 minutes?
It's fine the way it is.

I think giving teams equal numbers of possessions would change the dynamic of the game a bit. For example, the 1st team would be more willing to try an offside kick to deny the 2nd team a possession to try and tie a game. Also, the 2nd team would be more like to go for it on 4th downs in situations that they normally wouldn't, like say if the 1st team hasn't scored, they could go for it on 4th down knowing that they would get another try after the 1st team's next possession. Also, if the 1st team does score, the 2nd team would again have to attempt to go for it on 4th downs in situations where they normally would not. Teams usually only attempt 4th downs on short-yardage or end-of-game situations.

I don't really know how I would feel about this, does sound compelling, but at the same time, it does introduce unnatural dynamics.
It should be like basketball or soccer. OT split in 2 halves and fimedlike a regular game. Or just end it in a tie, there are so many tie breakers that it wouldn't matter.

This.

I listen to Colin Cowherd during my lunch break and he had an interesting proposal for overtime.

No coin flip.....just give the road team the ball first. His reasoning is that the home team has had the advantage of playing at home and since they couldn't win the game in the 1st 60 minutes, the road team should get the first crack at scoring in overtime.

I would like to make a similar proposal:
- play another 7:30 min quarter
- give the ball to the road team first
- if the road scores a TD on the first drive - game over. No chance for the home team.
- if the road scores a FG, game continues and the home team gets their shot.
- if the game continues, play the remaining minutes and whoever is winning at the end, obviously wins.

it's a violent sport it's easy for folks at home to say that but that's not realistic from a player standpoint.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

it's a violent sport it's easy for folks at home to say that but that's not realistic from a player standpoint.

Exactly...and it can still end in tie after another 15 minutes. I think what they should do is, you can't win with a field goal and each team gets at least one possession. There shouldn't be any coin toss...the team with the most net yards (yards on offense minus yards allowed) gets to decide if they want the first or second possession.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
why not just give each team one possession? That seems like a real simple solution to any problems.

I agree...

I'm not big on change..but if they're going to change keep going for 15 minute quarters till someone is winning at the end of one.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I agree...

I'm not big on change..but if they're going to change keep going for 15 minute quarters till someone is winning at the end of one.

because there will be situations when a team could be better suited to win in 5 quarters vs 4.

The game of football is designed to be fair in every single aspect for the regulation period. A tie is a FAILURE of both teams to claim victory. Both teams SHOULD lose the right to a fair over time period.

Overtime is not fair and that is by design. This is how you discourage teams playing FOR overtime.

The rule should not change
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I agree...

because there will be situations when a team could be better suited to win in 5 quarters vs 4.

The game of football is designed to be fair in every single aspect for the regulation period. A tie is a FAILURE of both teams to claim victory. Both teams SHOULD lose the right to a fair over time period.

Overtime is not fair and that is by design. This is how you discourage teams playing FOR overtime.

The rule should not change

You're right, it would give some teams an advantage..but I'd be okay with it. Although I do think it's fair now...it's just random..who wins the coin toss has the biggest chance of winning. Coin toss = 50-50.

[ Edited by Jakemall on Mar 1, 2010 at 15:49:21 ]
This is an asinine proposal.

If you want to give both teams a posession (which I don't, but I get the arguement), then just do it. It should have nothing to do with if they score or what type of score they get.
one on one, our best runner vs your best tackler (then vice versa) ball carrier must stay in a 5 yard wide area and starting from 10 yards our. best out of 5 wins.

Originally posted by horsecore:

This.

I think that's fine for most other sports. But football's a different beast.
Originally posted by lamontb:

(i'm just assuming here) but i think it's also due to 15min possibly translating into as much as 45 min in real time (after regulation probably going a few past their scheduled times.... and the overtime would mess up the networks contracts with tv shows following any games....