There are 223 users in the forums

Overtime Rule Change Proposal

Shop 49ers game tickets
stupid proposal, i like it the way it is.

The change would be subtle and wouldn’t necessarily require that both teams get possession. Any touchdown would still result in a sudden-death result.

However, if the team that got the first possession of overtime scored only a field goal, the other team would get a possession. If the second team scored a touchdown, it would win. If it scored a field goal, the game would continue, whereupon it would revert to simple sudden death.

Also, if the first team to get the ball didn’t score but the second team did, the game would be over immediately.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-otplayoffs022710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
welcome to NCAA college football
Commissioner Goodell is really starting to get on my nerves with all his rule changes and everything he's doing to the game we all love.

What's next, the offense gets 5 downs to make a first down?

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by momoney925:
stupid proposal, i like it the way it is.

The change would be subtle and wouldn’t necessarily require that both teams get possession. Any touchdown would still result in a sudden-death result.

However, if the team that got the first possession of overtime scored only a field goal, the other team would get a possession. If the second team scored a touchdown, it would win. If it scored a field goal, the game would continue, whereupon it would revert to simple sudden death.

Also, if the first team to get the ball didn’t score but the second team did, the game would be over immediately.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-otplayoffs022710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

There is no moderate position or solution to this predicament. You either like the current OT or you hate it and want to see the college football system adapted.

This proposed solution seems like a way to try and appease both sides - but instead you just get both sides even more angry.
First to 6 points is the way it should be IMO.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Commissioner Goodell is really starting to get on my nerves with all his rule changes and everything he's doing to the game we all love.

cfl
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by BigBug415:

cfl

Isn't CFL 3 downs?
why not just give each team one possession? That seems like a real simple solution to any problems.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
First to 6 points is the way it should be IMO.

I agree, but I would do first to 5 just in case there's the rare safety.
I don't know. I always felt OT should be something like a 5 min quarter, with each team getting one TO. I think it would solve all this possession nonsense.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Feb 28, 2010 at 09:56:08 ]

this is just for the playoffs...i like it because so much is on the line
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I like the way overtime is now, but if they changed it to this new rule i could happily live with that.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
this is just for the playoffs...i like it because so much is on the line

yeah, they definitely need some tweaking for the playoffs. not only for fairness but also because it could really ratchet up the tension and excitement. The way it is now overtimes are pretty boring, but could you imagine an NFC championship game that was so evenly matched it went into triple overtime? it would be awesome, but the odds of that happening now are pretty slim.

As for the regular season, frankly, I think they oughta do away with overtime and just end it as a tie.

I know, its "un-American" or something, but some days teams are evenly matched, and there's no shame in that.
Don't see what the problem is. If you don't like drawn games, this seems a reasonable little tweek
Why not just play another 15 minutes?
Share 49ersWebzone