LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

Manning, Wayne skip out on post game handshakes

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • evil
  • Veteran
Is it poor sportsmanship on their part or was that action justified ?

Quote:
Manning reacted stoically Sunday night after wide receiver Reggie Wayne dropped his team's last gasp -- a fourth-down pass in the end zone late in the fourth quarter. With hands on hips and his helmet still on, Manning returned to the sideline and stared at a video-board replay. He then headed toward the locker room before the final seconds expired in New Orleans' 31-17 win.

Was it poor sportsmanship for not shaking hands with Saints players? Sure. But after what had just transpired in Super Bowl XLIV, I wouldn't want to look back either.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/02/08/manning-beats-unhappy-hasty-retreat/

When Lebron skipped out last year on post game handshakes with the Magic players after they ousted the Cavs from the playoffs, the media couldn't stop talking about Lebron's "poor sportsmanship". Will they attempt to vilify Peyton and Reggie in the same way or will they get a pass ?
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Is it poor sportsmanship on their part or was that action justified ?

Quote:
Manning reacted stoically Sunday night after wide receiver Reggie Wayne dropped his team's last gasp -- a fourth-down pass in the end zone late in the fourth quarter. With hands on hips and his helmet still on, Manning returned to the sideline and stared at a video-board replay. He then headed toward the locker room before the final seconds expired in New Orleans' 31-17 win.

Was it poor sportsmanship for not shaking hands with Saints players? Sure. But after what had just transpired in Super Bowl XLIV, I wouldn't want to look back either.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/02/08/manning-beats-unhappy-hasty-retreat/

When Lebron skipped out last year on post game handshakes with the Magic players after they ousted the Cavs from the playoffs, the media couldn't stop talking about Lebron's "poor sportsmanship". Will they attempt to vilify Peyton and Reggie in the same way or will they get a pass ?

I only remember the media talking about it for like a day, which is what they'll do with Manning and Wayne I'm sure.

I really don't care, sportsmanship is overrated. It still cracks me up that after the NCAA created a rule that all teams must shake hands before the game, the first game ended in an all-out brawl.
f**k the Saints, i wouldnt shake their hands either. 9 times out of 10 the Colts win that game
Basketball you walk 10 feet then another 50 feet to the locker room. In football if he walks out for the handshake he gets swamped my media and fans. Bellicheck walked out on the Giants' win and I only remember that being a story for a few days, don't expect this to get that much attention.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Considering all the confetti, cameras, celebration, and stuff, I don't blame them for skipping out on it. At the same time, it certainly doesn't help the perception Manning has as being a total a*****e.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Considering all the confetti, cameras, celebration, and stuff, I don't blame them for skipping out on it. At the same time, it certainly doesn't help the perception Manning has as being a total a*****e.

What perception? He's always been known as one of the nicest guys in the league.
Don't think this is/was a a big deal in either case. When you are suffering a big emotional letdown and the other team is going wild on the field/court. It is just awkward to be lingering around.

Congratulate the other team in public while at the press conference or while being interveiwed in the locker room.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

What perception? He's always been known as one of the nicest guys in the league.

I've never heard that about Manning.
Originally posted by valrod33:
f**k the Saints, i wouldnt shake their hands either. 9 times out of 10 the Colts win that game

Yeah, no. The Saints could not be stopped, and Peychoke Manning would throw a pick 6 9 out of 10 games.

Even with the score 10-0, I told my brother that the Colts were in trouble. Colts won 7 games this year by 7 points or less. They did not play one division winner to get to the Superbowl. My left butt cheek could probably outcoach Jim Caldwell. I say this is the end of the Colts run.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

Agreed. I have never heard anything like that about him.

Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Yeah, no. The Saints could not be stopped, and Peychoke Manning would throw a pick 6 9 out of 10 games.

Even with the score 10-0, I told my brother that the Colts were in trouble. Colts won 7 games this year by 7 points or less. They did not play one division winner to get to the Superbowl. My left butt cheek could probably outcoach Jim Caldwell. I say this is the end of the Colts run.

Really? If dumb ass pierre garcon doesnt drop that wide open pass, the Colts go up 17-6 and the rout is on.

To me that was the biggest play in the game.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Really? If dumb ass pierre garcon doesnt drop that wide open pass, the Colts go up 17-6 and the rout is on.

To me that was the biggest play in the game.

17-6, probably not. But maybe 13-3 or 10-3 at half. Remember also, Colston dropped a huge 3rd down pass too. I just felt that the Saints were moving the ball on the colts at will in the second half, something the Saints have done all season. They are a second half team. Colts only scored 7 points in the second half. That is sad.
I'll put money on it that not one person from the Saints even noticed. I can see Peyton walking away. Afterall it is the Saint's time in the sun. Plus just getting through the throngs of celebrations wasn't worth it.
They went out to dinner a couple days before the S.B.

Brees was swarmed even before the game ended. Relax
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
They went out to dinner a couple days before the S.B.

Brees was swarmed even before the game ended. Relax

So it's OK to vilify Belichick or LBJ for doing the same but Manning and Wayne get a pass ?

Personally I have no issue with this, I would act in the same manner but how is it the media will make a big deal for some and not for others. Shouldn't they all be held to the same standard ?
Share 49ersWebzone