Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Manning Greatest of all time by Ross Tucker

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You need a TD and you got 90 - 120 seconds to drive down the field and your life depends on it. You are picking Montana over Manning every time.

That is certainly debatable and not the absolute you make it out to be. Probably the QB with the best history of last minute heroics is John Elway. I know that he has by far the most 4th quarter comebacks anyway. (47 vs 32 for Joe). I wouldnt be upset having Montana, Elway, Manning, or Brady with the ball in their hands at the end.

Im taking Montana, that MNF game when Montana was with the Chiefs and beat Elway on a last minute drive proved to me I would take Montana over Elway. I dunno, my 49er glasses are on. Montana is God. I'm taking Montana over anyone in pretty much any situation

LOL You are 22 years old and were in diapers when the Niners won Superbowls with Montana. I just find it funny that you make such blanket statements that Joe is absolutley the guy who is the best at last minute comebacks when you cant remember a game he played as a Niner. I think Montana was great but I also recognize that guys like Brady, Manning, and especially Elway were every bit as good at last quarter comebacks.

Thank God for the invention of the video tape then huh?

I'm sure there is video tape of all the Niners games and comebacks during that era that you have studied. I also am sure that you did the same for John Elway.

I am not debating that Montana was great in Superbowls ( well he wasnt really all that special in SB 16 to tell you the truth) but only that he is not CLEARLY the best comeback QB of all time. He is one of them.

You may not remember but in SB 23 he almost blew the game by making a horrible throw in the endzone that was right in the hands of Billups. If that pick is made the Niners dont win that game.

Joe is my all time favorite QB. I just recognize that there are others who were equally amazing with the ball in their hands at the end of a game.
You need a TD and you got 90 - 120 seconds to drive down the field and your life depends on it. You are picking Montana over Manning every time.

That is certainly debatable and not the absolute you make it out to be. Probably the QB with the best history of last minute heroics is John Elway. I know that he has by far the most 4th quarter comebacks anyway. (47 vs 32 for Joe). I wouldnt be upset having Montana, Elway, Manning, or Brady with the ball in their hands at the end.

Im taking Montana, that MNF game when Montana was with the Chiefs and beat Elway on a last minute drive proved to me I would take Montana over Elway. I dunno, my 49er glasses are on. Montana is God. I'm taking Montana over anyone in pretty much any situation

LOL You are 22 years old and were in diapers when the Niners won Superbowls with Montana. I just find it funny that you make such blanket statements that Joe is absolutley the guy who is the best at last minute comebacks when you cant remember a game he played as a Niner. I think Montana was great but I also recognize that guys like Brady, Manning, and especially Elway were every bit as good at last quarter comebacks.

I'm sure there is video tape of all the Niners games and comebacks during that era that you have studied. I also am sure that you did the same for John Elway.

I am not debating that Montana was great in Superbowls ( well he wasnt really all that special in SB 16 to tell you the truth) but only that he is not CLEARLY the best comeback QB of all time. He is one of them.

You may not remember but in SB 23 he almost blew the game by making a horrible throw in the endzone that was right in the hands of Billups. If that pick is made the Niners dont win that game.

Joe is my all time favorite QB. I just recognize that there are others who were equally amazing with the ball in their hands at the end of a game.

im 22 years old and even i will pick Montana everytime in the clutch. I respect Manning, Brady, Elway, and all the great QB's that have played the game but Montana was on another level than other QB's. He knew how to win games. Sure i know i wasn't around for the glory years but so what and who cares.
Manning has had a pretty similar career to Steve Young's.

Both were outstanding regular season QBs but OK postseason QBs.
Young won 6 passing titles, while Manning has 3.
Young was a 2 time MVP, and Manning is 4 time MVP.
Young is 7 time Pro Bowler & 3 time All-Pro, while Manning is 10 time Pro Bowler & 5 time All-Pro
Both have 1 Super Bowl victory and SB MVP
Young has the highest career QB rating of all time with 96.8, while Manning is currently 4th with 95.2
Young was 91-33 as 49ers QB with .733 win pct in the regular season. Manning is 117-59 as Colts QB with .664 win pct.
Young has an 8-6 playoff record. Manning has 9-9 playoff record.
Young had to overcome Aikman and the Cowboys and Manning had to overcome Brady and Patriots
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
He's definitely the best QB I've ever seen.

The playoff record argument is silly. To compare the level of talent that the Colts have to the level of talent that those Niner teams had is completely disingenuous. Manning was absolutely phenomenal yesterday, but the Saints did a great job of keeping him off of the field for almost two consecutive quarters.

I don't agree. What kind of great talent did Montana play with during his 1st superbowl and 2nd superbowl (pre - Rice & Taylor)? Please don't say Dwight Clark was a great talent.

In '81 we had the 2nd stingiest defense in the league, and 6th best running game. In '84 we had the stingiest defense in the league, and the 3rd best running game.

As John said, had a lethal two-pronged rushing attack in '84 with Tyler & Craig. And Dwight Clark may not have been a "great" talent, but he was a 990 yard receiver the year that Montana took over for DeBerg about halfway through. And Freddie Solomon was a very good player as well, and we had an O-Line that protected Montana.

But we made our mark on the defensive end, as evidenced by being 1st & 2nd in the league during those two seasons in terms of points allowed.

The playoff record argument is silly. To compare the level of talent that the Colts have to the level of talent that those Niner teams had is completely disingenuous. Manning was absolutely phenomenal yesterday, but the Saints did a great job of keeping him off of the field for almost two consecutive quarters.

I don't agree. What kind of great talent did Montana play with during his 1st superbowl and 2nd superbowl (pre - Rice & Taylor)? Please don't say Dwight Clark was a great talent.

In '81 we had the 2nd stingiest defense in the league, and 6th best running game. In '84 we had the stingiest defense in the league, and the 3rd best running game.

As John said, had a lethal two-pronged rushing attack in '84 with Tyler & Craig. And Dwight Clark may not have been a "great" talent, but he was a 990 yard receiver the year that Montana took over for DeBerg about halfway through. And Freddie Solomon was a very good player as well, and we had an O-Line that protected Montana.

But we made our mark on the defensive end, as evidenced by being 1st & 2nd in the league during those two seasons in terms of points allowed.

The 84 team was just sick. I remember watching our defense just absolutely shut down Marino like no team had the entire year. Fred Dean and Gary Johnson were all over his ass and it was just a thrashing. Montana was awesome in that game and I would never take anything away from him. However, to say the 84 team wasnt incredibly talented would just be inacurrate.

I haven't seen every single Montana game and the same goes for Elway therefore I am not allowed have an opinion? But i've seen a lot of Montana, luckily my dad taped all the games from the 1982 season all the way up until the 1994 season when we moved away from SF.

How many Peyton Manning games do you watch a season, how many Tom Brady games do you watch? Unless you have seen all their games you are not allowed have an opinion on who is the best QB today with your logic.

Get out of here with that nonsense.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Not close, dude has 9 playoff losses and has played with guys like Wayne, Clark, Faulk, Harrison, James, coached by Dungy, etc. He's really good when he's on fire but eventually he's going to f**k up and throw a pick or an incomplete pass. Remember 07 vs the Chargers? Threw the ball too high for Clark. He's had elite talent and only won 1 superbowl. Joe would've gotten atleast 3 with that.

You could argue that he made all those guys, other than Faulk, elite players.

With that said, he is still not Joe. Until he gets more rings, I will put Aikman, Elway, Bradshaw, and Brady above him. They may not have the numbers, but you dont play for numbers, unless you are talkin the number of rings.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:47 PM ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Personality goes a long way.

Just ask Bradshaw and Namath.

Manning is the best audibler of all time though.

lol Bradshaw? you do realize that Terry Bradshaw is a disgruntled jerkoff right? his TV personality is an act. people who know him off the set have said hes a total douche with a chip on his shoulder.

any writer who tries to say Montana isnt the greatest of all time is just looking for a story with shock value that creates controversy. which gives them attention. anyone who looked over career stats combined with super bowl greatness would come to a quick solution.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 12, 2010 at 13:52:04 ]
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol Bradshaw? you do realize that Terry Bradshaw is a disgruntled jerkoff right? his TV personality is an act. people who know him off the set have said hes a total douche with a chip on his shoulder.

any writer who tries to say Montana isnt the greatest of all time is just looking for a story with shock value that creates controversy. which gives them attention. anyone who looked over career stats combined with super bowl greatness would come to a quick solution.

Agreed. He won 4 and never threw a pick. I don't care how good your team is, that's hard to do.

Sorry but phenomenal is what Joe did in the bowl. and that is win. The DB said he was waiting for manning to throw that ball. he knew it was coming. Joe would have never thrown that. And yes you do need to compare the talent. because the talent got those guys there. what era is was doesnt matter at all. Plus to give all the credit to the saints D is exactly why he was not phenomenal. He played well but not phenomenal.

funny how ppl seem to forget that...
its not like manning was facing one of the best defenses in the league vs the saints... and it's not like he didnt have an effective running game to work with. sure the colts D didnt help them, but you would think manning should have been able to better exploit the saints D if he were truly the GOAT.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Manning has had a pretty similar career to Steve Young's.

Both were outstanding regular season QBs but OK postseason QBs.
Young won 6 passing titles, while Manning has 3.
Young was a 2 time MVP, and Manning is 4 time MVP.
Young is 7 time Pro Bowler & 3 time All-Pro, while Manning is 10 time Pro Bowler & 5 time All-Pro
Both have 1 Super Bowl victory and SB MVP
Young has the highest career QB rating of all time with 96.8, while Manning is currently 4th with 95.2
Young was 91-33 as 49ers QB with .733 win pct in the regular season. Manning is 117-59 as Colts QB with .664 win pct.
Young has an 8-6 playoff record. Manning has 9-9 playoff record.
Young had to overcome Aikman and the Cowboys and Manning had to overcome Brady and Patriots

Statistically Young was one of it not the best all time. Outside of statistics, I still think so, but that's more like an opinion.
Manning will take the throne as the greatest regular season QB

But he can never be the greatest championship QB unless he wins 4 more SBs
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Didn't QB's back in the day all call their OWN plays. I think that's one of the things that made Unitas great