LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Charles Haley HOF as Niner or Cowboy?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
You usually want to retire with the team which drafted you, and the team you won your first Superbowl Championship with (unlike Marcus Allen-like situations where there's grudges with the owner/personnel).

My gut tells me that he'll go in a Cowboy, but Bill Walsh was like a father to Charles, took a chance on the guy when nobody else had wanted him before the 3rd round, and Charles came back upon Walsh's request for one last stint, retiring with the 49ers.

If Haley went in a Cowboy though I'd find it pretty s**tty, cause whether or not he and Seifert had got along in later years with the organization, Seifert developed him into a more functional pass-rusher out of the 3-4 (which is rarity amongst 3-4 defenses).

YOU DON'T GO IN WITH A TEAM

We're talking about post-HOF (team) representation. Every HOF player usually represents one team in the 'sports world'/media monster as the threshold of his legacy.

-This is merely about bragging rights.

TRUE....because when they say x amount of players in the hall of fame are niners, steelers, bears and so on and so on.....that's what we mean here. Whether they go in as "Themselves" is not what we are asking. All of us niner fans want as many "NINERS" in the HOF as possible
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Did Haley end up on good terms with the Niners?

He came back and retired as a Niner....I say he goes in as a Niner.
i think of Charles Haley more as a Niner than a Cowboy honestly, and i dont really even remember much of his stay with either team, as i was still young. but i remember his second time with SF.

like i said, you dont go into the HOF with a certain team. you go in as yourself.

they probably wanted to avoid a Wade Boggs situation, where he had bad blood with the team he clearly represented best, and threatened to go in as a Devil Ray.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Players go in as themselves. No one goes in as anybody. The NFL HOF doesn't work that way.

Yes captain obvious.....we simply wanted to know who we thought he would goes in AS A MEMBER OF WHICH TEAM.....is that better?

You don't go in as a member of any team. You go in as a player, and they just put what teams you played for next to your bust.

So, no, that's not better, it's the same.
Eddie D will introduce Haley, so he's going in as a 49er.

Old article
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/2/1/7959501/charles-haley-pro-football-hall-of-fame-eddie-debartolo-jerry-jones-introduction
49ers baby.
I get both sides inquiry from the technical aspect to the "reality".....based on the gut feel of who Haley should be in the Hall, I'd go with Niner.

2 Lombardis being drafted by SF I feel slightly outweighs 3 Lombardis anchoring another dynasty. Where you started has that much of an effect in my mind.

It is interesting though having been to Canton a few months ago in their Bust room, they have a video center where you can watch highlights of all enshrinees, and there is some sort of delineation made of certain players who played on multiple squads. Like say Richard Dent...it would be clear from that video that he was a Bear more so than a Niner. Perhaps an obvious one, but something I noticed.

I went through many of the golden era '80s 49ers, and they focused highlights mostly in SF (Montana, Rice, Lott) from what I can recall.

Haley I'm sure will prominently show up on both teams.
Originally posted by Vito_Corleone:
Eddie D will introduce Haley, so he's going in as a 49er.

Old article
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/2/1/7959501/charles-haley-pro-football-hall-of-fame-eddie-debartolo-jerry-jones-introduction

[ Edited by socal9er42 on May 5, 2015 at 10:34 AM ]
Sorry but partly in view of his next team and partly because of the off-the-field stories he will always be one of my least favourite Niners. Not as bad as Lawrence Philips and Bill Romanowski but close.

He's a Cowboy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Sorry but partly in view of his next team and partly because of the off-the-field stories he will always be one of my least favourite Niners. Not as bad as Lawrence Philips and Bill Romanowski but close.

He's a Cowboy.

does it not make you feel better though that at the end of the day,, he ended up coming back to us and did retire as a niner? i never held who he went to after us against him.... it was the teams fault not his. do you feel the same way about joe montana and rice and the other guys who went to other teams? the only thing i was ever angry about is that he and his instability did not allow him to get along with tim harris and i often think of what could have been with our defense had he been able to coexist with timmy

IMO, as a Niner.

My opinion changed when he announced our pick.

Why would we have him do that and then he goes in as a Cowboy?

Doesn't compute.
Originally posted by cciowa:

He's a Cowboy.

does it not make you feel better though that at the end of the day,, he ended up coming back to us and did retire as a niner? i never held who he went to after us against him.... it was the teams fault not his. do you feel the same way about joe montana and rice and the other guys who went to other teams? the only thing i was ever angry about is that he and his instability did not allow him to get along with tim harris and i often think of what could have been with our defense had he been able to coexist with timmy

It was Dallas. That was the difference

And bear in mind all that other s**t about him. Jesus, he would be hung out to dry if he was playing today.

And bear in mind all that other s**t about him. Jesus, he would be hung out to dry if he was playing today.

If he was playing today he'd be a VERY wealthy man.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

He's a Cowboy.

ok,, we will just agree to disagree i am more mad about the team at the time trading him to dallas than i was about haley playing for them,,, of course had we done what i lobbied to do and that was to trade young for derrick thomas, and put joe in at qb,, we would have beat dallas those years,,, in my screwball speculation train of thought with me
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

If he was playing today he'd be a VERY wealthy man.
and then he would go on dancing with the stars
Share 49ersWebzone