LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

11 Minutes of Action in Typical NFL Game

Shop 49ers game tickets
Baseball is about the same, if not longer. I remember reading that they were really close.
but you have to factor in the intensity of the action. as opposed to say soccer or basketball where theres jogging or lazy defense and what not. id rather have 11 mins of 100% all out effort than 48 or 60 mins of unintense action.
[ Edited by niner_empire on Feb 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM ]
Originally posted by niner_empire:
but you have to factor in the intensity of the action. as opposed to say soccer or basketball where theres jogging or lazy defense and what not. id rather have 11 mins of 100% all out effort than 48 or 60 mins of unintense action.

Flawed.

Its never 100% effort for all 11mins
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Originally posted by Bille:
Thats why I have always laughed at people talking NFL players up as elite athletes. To think 11mins of action in total.

Meaning Peyton Manning plays 5mins a game, maybe 6 to 7.

Rugby player > NFL players

So you wouldn't consider Usain bolt a world class athlete, he is done in under 10 seconds?

Yes I do, there is a big difference between find out who is the fastest man in the world, than players who stand around for hours on the sidelines.
if you dont like that they stay around, why the heck do u watch this game???
Originally posted by communist:
Thats why I have always laughed at people talking NFL players up as elite athletes. To think 11mins of action in total.

So you wouldn't consider Usain bolt a world class athlete, he is done in under 10 seconds?

Yes I do, there is a big difference between find out who is the fastest man in the world, than players who stand around for hours on the sidelines.

Whoever said I didn't enjoy watching the game?

it sounds like as if you dont do it.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheNaitch:
Baseball is about the same, if not longer. I remember reading that they were really close.

I have Sunday Ticket. They replay the games with all the BS cut out, each play commences at the snap, and ends at the whistle, then on to the next one. There is about 27-30 minutes of actual playing time.

it sounds like as if you dont do it.

Hey I enjoy watch wrestling too. Just because I don't think you can label NFL players as a whole as elite athletes doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching them.

What do you think Bolt is doing the other 23 hours, 59 minutes and 50 seconds the day of a race? To say that NFL players aren't elite athletes is laughable.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

What do you think Bolt is doing the other 23 hours, 59 minutes and 50 seconds the day of a race? To say that NFL players aren't elite athletes is laughable.

For real. They gotta work their asses off to get to the level they perform at. You come off sounding a bit ignorant with your rugby talk. I'm sure NFL players would beast it up in Rugby if they trained for Rugby. Hell even without training, they would kick some Rugby ass.

Just because the game doesn't require them to run around for 60 minutes, doesn't mean they're not elite

Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

For real. They gotta work their asses off to get to the level they perform at. You come off sounding a bit ignorant with your rugby talk. I'm sure NFL players would beast it up in Rugby if they trained for Rugby. Hell even without training, they would kick some Rugby ass.

Just because the game doesn't require them to run around for 60 minutes, doesn't mean they're not elite

The irony of an American calling a foreigner ignorant. Every athlete has to work their arses off to be at the top level, that isn't anything new. However when 53 players take 3+ hours to play 11mins of football, I find it hard to really call them AS A WHOLE, elite athletes.

I've been watching both religiously for 20 years now. The skill set required to be a rugby player outweighs the skill set for an NFL player. Then throw in the fact that the do it 6-7 times as long as an NFL player in each game. Its just too hard to call them AS A WHOLE, elite athletes.

A 100m race is only designed to go 10 seconds, and again the sole objective of a race to to determine the fastest person on the planet. However I would put him I guess in a class under the decathlon athletes anyway.
  • Bille
  • Veteran
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

The irony of an American calling a foreigner ignorant. Every athlete has to work their arses off to be at the top level, that isn't anything new. However when 53 players take 3+ hours to play 11mins of football, I find it hard to really call them AS A WHOLE, elite athletes.

I've been watching both religiously for 20 years now. The skill set required to be a rugby player outweighs the skill set for an NFL player. Then throw in the fact that the do it 6-7 times as long as an NFL player in each game. Its just too hard to call them AS A WHOLE, elite athletes.

I get what you are saying there are some nfl players that are not that athletic if you account for kickers, punters, qbs.

But when I think of an athlete, I think the whole thing like speed, strength, agility, explosion, size and endurance. And IMO people like say vernon davis have rugby players beat on all but maybe endurance.
Football is an explosive sport by nature, which is why the plays are so short but you generally go full throttle during that, where as in rugby it seems to me to be more like soccer, which I would say was an endurance sport.

If you take a look at sav rocca, who is an ex Aussie footbal player, he is one of the least athletic people in the league. Although not by punter standards, but put him at say defensive end and he wouldn't stand a chance.

A 100m race is only designed to go 10 seconds, and again the sole objective of a race to to determine the fastest person on the planet. However I would put him I guess in a class under the decathlon athletes anyway.

The objective doesn't matter, since that was never your point about NFL players. Their objective is to be the faster, stronger, and more agile athlete in a matchup with other elite athletes. Whether or not rugby is more physically demanding, or requires more athleticism is a different argument completely. To say that some of the fastest, strongest, most durable bodies in the world aren't "elite" is, again, laughable.

The objective doesn't matter, since that was never your point about NFL players. Their objective is to be the faster, stronger, and more agile athlete in a matchup with other elite athletes. Whether or not rugby is more physically demanding, or requires more athleticism is a different argument completely. To say that some of the fastest, strongest, most durable bodies in the world aren't "elite" is, again, laughable.

Objective has to be thrown in. You are taking a sport that once the gun goes off bang you are into it, once you race the end, bang its finished. In the NFL, 2mins can run off the clock and only play 8-16 seconds of football. When the standing around time (while the clock is still running) is 6 times the total playing time, its hard to call these athlete "elite".

People bring up Bolt, imagine the gun went off he raced for 20m then stopped for 10 seconds, then raced for 20m then stopped for 10 seconds etc etc. That is exactly what the NFL is and forces its athletes to be. How can you consider that a complete athlete?
Share 49ersWebzone