LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 192 users in the forums

Peppers says, "I Could Go Anywhere."

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by teeohh:
how much might he want?

i have no clue, but we have a lot of cap room so we could afford him. the clements deal is messing us up, we need to restructure that s**t
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Would prefer a proven 3-4 OLB but Peppers will be the best available.

With no cap many teams will pursue him. I fear the 49ers might end up playing him twice a season.

Destinations:
Seattle to replace Patrick Kerney (retirement)
Arizona to replace Bertrand Berry (retirement)
New England - need a legimate pass rush.
Tampa Bay - bucs have a lot of free agents to retain meaning the Glazers will have money to spend.
Miami - replace the aging Jason Taylor.
Houston - bookend to Mario Williams.
Jacksonville - need a legimate pass rush.
Cleveland - play opposite of Kamerion Wimbley.

That would be a good fit imo.
According to Pro Football Talk there have been no discussions between the Panthers and Peppers and owner Jerry Richardson doesn't want to franchise him again.

I wonder if Isaac Sopoga is willing to give up his number #90 for Peppers.
Yup, Schefter is reporting that there are no plans to franchise or retain Peppers.

I would love for us to sign him. It's an uncapped year and Peppers will likely be the premiere FA on the market. He's going to get paid like one - probably a lot more than he is worth.

-9fA
i would be elated if we signed Peppers. he'd probably want a long term deal, 5-6 yrs, prolly25-30mil signing bonus. idk if he over values himself, but i'd guess the total number to be around $80mil. regardless of the contract, he's a difference maker. having him and a guy like justin smith wreaking havoc on offensive lines would be awesome. even still, a front loaded contract would ensure that we could cut him in 4 yrs and not take a big hit against the cap.
We could sure use him as a pass rushing OLB and as an edge rusher in nickel and dime packages .....but he would cost a grip and would want a ridiculously huge contract
Except he can't because of the "Final Eight Plan."

In an uncapped year no team that has gone to the playoffs can sign an unrestricted free agent until they lose one of their own, and cannot sign that player to a deal worth more money in the first year than the outgoing player.

It pretty much limits almost all of the playoff teams, and Carolina. If there's truly going to be a stoppage in 2011, don't look for teams to make Peppers a huge offer either.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I would like to have him but I would not over pay for him. I think his best years are behind him.
  • dj43
Just about any team in the league would like to have him. The trick is to keep the contract short enough so the team can cut him after three years if his play begins to drop off.

Of course he would be a good fit in SF. It would instantly give the defense the single most important thing any team needs. He would be the Jared Allen for the 49ers.
how much might he want?

I would guess about 5% more than what Jared Allen got from the Vikings.

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
how much might he want?

i have no clue, but we have a lot of cap room so we could afford him. the clements deal is messing us up, we need to restructure that s**t

there isn't gonna be a cap homie so every team can spend whatever for him. only reason they restructure his deal is b/c they wanna save soem money
Originally posted by lamontb:
how much might he want?

there isn't gonna be a cap homie so every team can spend whatever for him. only reason they restructure his deal is b/c they wanna save soem money

no cap for one yr doesnt mean no cap for the following yrs. sure someone can offer him a 25mil single yr contract, but thats what carolina would do if they tagged him. he doesnt want a 1 yr payday, he wants a long term contract. a guarantee'd 25-30 mil AND a yearly salary. i dont foresee any team going crazy because of 1 uncapped yr.
Originally posted by Sinsation:
Originally posted by lamontb:
how much might he want?

no cap for one yr doesnt mean no cap for the following yrs. sure someone can offer him a 25mil single yr contract, but thats what carolina would do if they tagged him. he doesnt want a 1 yr payday, he wants a long term contract. a guarantee'd 25-30 mil AND a yearly salary. i dont foresee any team going crazy because of 1 uncapped yr.

yeah i forgot about the cap lamont, but i agree with this guy. there's no spending limit but we'll be paying him throughout the years and it'll affect our cap then. i still think we'll have enough money though. we sign some tricky deals
Even heading towards an uncapped year, I'd much rather see Willis and VD tied down to new deals than get Peppers, who is now 30 in here.
i'd rather lock up our players than shell out 15+ yr for Julius
Share 49ersWebzone