There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*Updated* Martz Hired as Bears OC

I can't find the link right now, but according to an article i read this morning (Tuesday), the Chicago Bears could look to trade TE Greg Olsen in order to aquire additional draft picks.
Mad Mike's back on the job...this time for Da Bears. It ought to be interesting w/Cutler...MM needs to campaign for OL upgrades, or JC will get killed. While he's at it, he might want to pick up a couple of actual receivers. You have to wonder where our passing offense might be now had he stayed on...but, he and Singletary just couldn't co-exist.
It was more the case of Martz and McCloughan not being able to co-exist.
our passing offense was better last year than it was with Martz. Martz is the most overrated OC in the NFL. when you have 5 future HOFers in Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Orlando Pace, in their prime, of course he looked like a genius.

in DET, in SF, and now in CHI, he isnt going to do much, because he doesnt get much to work with. great coordinators/coaches make good units out of poor players, and great units out of good players. bobb mckittrick made mediocre OL into pro bowl players. he was a great coach.

the Mike Martz system is stubborn, flawed, and relies on really good players to execute the plays. Cutler has the talent, but lacks the brains to make it work, and he has ZERO supporting cast.

im glad we dumped him, and i think the only reason the Bears hired him, is because they couldnt give the job away until now. everyone and their grandma knows Lovie Smith is on his way out the door, and whoever took this job would be let go with the rest of the staff when a new HC is hired. thats why nobody wanted it.

when you have to "settle" for Martz, it kinda shows he isnt that highly thought of anymore among organizations.
Originally posted by 49erfan3252:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by 9erObsession:
chicago is screwed. Offense lacks weapons, defense is old and no first round picks. I call cutler for 25 picks
and no secondround-picks either...lights out in chicago ;)

game over man! game over!!
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
It was more the case of Martz and McCloughan not being able to co-exist.

Actually I think it was a combo of McC and the Yorks who didn't like Martz. I remember reading a quote from Dr. York before Martz was hired that basically stated that Denise and he didn't particularly care for Martz from his time with the Rams.
Martz’s system calls for fast WR and quick release QB if you don’t have those things it doesn’t work the way its intended and your QB gets killed that’s why his system failed with the 9ers

Cutler and Hester and another speedy WR could work but how long will Cutler last is the key

And why is this in 9er talk…
Hahahaha Lovie Smith wants to get fired. -When you usually hire Martz as your OC now-a-days it predicates the 'swan song' to a coaching career.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
And why is this in 9er talk…
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Greg Olsen can expect his production to go down despite what Martz tells him. Martz has never valued the tight end.

I don't think Olsen was going to take that next step anyhow, he seems to be plateaued.

The Bears were wise to pair up Martz and Cutler

I'm gonna say that Cutler throws more picks than TDs.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Greg Olsen can expect his production to go down despite what Martz tells him. Martz has never valued the tight end.

I don't think Olsen was going to take that next step anyhow, he seems to be plateaued.

The Bears were wise to pair up Martz and Cutler

I'm gonna say that Cutler throws more picks than TDs.

-9fA

Bears will be a fun team to watch though.
Being the Bears have no 1st or 2nd round pick, I can see T.O signing with them to bolster their WR depth
I look forward to seeing the Bears play. Martz is one of the best offensive minds I have seen in the last decade. I love his style of offense, its just fun to watch. One of Sings biggest mistakes was firing him and hiring Raye.
Originally posted by susweel:
I look forward to seeing the Bears play. Martz is one of the best offensive minds I have seen in the last decade. I love his style of offense, its just fun to watch. One of Sings biggest mistakes was firing him and hiring Raye.

lol.

offensive NFL rank (pts scored) in 2008 under Martz - 22nd

offensive NFL rank (pts scored) in 2009 under Raye - 18th

whoops!
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by susweel:

lol.

offensive NFL rank (pts scored) in 2008 under Martz - 22nd

offensive NFL rank (pts scored) in 2009 under Raye - 18th

whoops!

Total points scored: the 49ers had 339 in 2008 and 330 in 2009*. We also had almost identical rushing yards between 2008 and 2009, 1599 in 2008 and 1600 in 2009. Had about 300 more passing yards in 2008 with Martz. However, we made huge strides in turnovers. I believe we had 11 less turnovers in 2009 compared to 2008.

* We had a return for a TD in 2008 which accounts for 7 points obviously. Both years we had 4 defensive TD's. So i guess the real difference strictly in terms of offense is 2 points.