There are 212 users in the forums

T.O. says he could have been better than Jerry Rice

Shop 49ers game tickets
Jerry was unselfish and did the little things to help the TEAM win all those titles, if T.O was a team first player like Jerry, then maybe he would have been wearing a ring by now, T.O needs to quit flapping his gums if he wants to be part of an NFL ballclub next year.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Jerry was unselfish and did the little things to help the TEAM win all those titles, if T.O was a team first player like Jerry, then maybe he would have been wearing a ring by now, T.O needs to quit flapping his gums if he wants to be part of an NFL ballclub next year.

Yes....T.O. still refuses to take any responsibility himself.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

you must not know Jerry and you must not know your 49ers...

Jerry was just as selfish as T.O.... he was just in situations where he didn't need to complain as much....

Jerry did one thing I have never seen T.O. do...

on a Monday night game against the Redskins...where we were blowing the Redskins out, Jerry was on the sidelines blowing up on Mooch...he had low #s in that game.....

that is one thing I have never seen T.O. complain or argue with the coach, let alone anyone, while we were winning....

T.O. was just as a competitor as Jerry was.......Jerry just had less reasons to b***h about stuff....

example- After having Joe and Steve....Jerry was now catching inaccurate/late timed passes from Jeff Garcia.... Rice's #s went down and everyone felt he was losing it.......but himself..

again, if you knew about Jerry like you seem to indicate you would remember news report about when his wife called the local sports stations defending her husband and complaining about Garcia....... I'm sure she had her husband's permission before calling in and defending him.....

well Jerry left the team a little after and put up great numbers for the Raiders with Rich Gannon.

this all being said, some need to understand Jerry Rice is my favorite football player ever, followed by Montana....but I'm no blind fan, Jerry wasn't perfect, off the field wise.
If Sing coached T.O. and punked his ass into humbleness and focus like Vernon, then he'd probably be closer to J.R. records than he is today.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
If Sing coached T.O. and punked his ass into humbleness and focus like Vernon, then he'd probably be closer to J.R. records than he is today.

Good point. Sing definitely would've handled it better than Mooch.
Hahah

Rice responded (kinda)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/04/jerry-rice-im-not-the-greatest-receiver/
Originally posted by Afrikan:
this all being said, some need to understand Jerry Rice is my favorite football player ever, followed by Montana....but I'm no blind fan, Jerry wasn't perfect, off the field wise.

So true. People forget that Rice complained about not getting endorsements after winning the SB MVP in 23. He was also openly jealous of Deion during the '94 season. Jerry was a "diva". It's just the nature of the position. When you're a great WR, you should be calling for the ball.

I love Jerry. He's the most dominant football player at his position that I have ever seen and he has the stats, rings, awards, and longevity to back it up. Jerry was just lucky enough to play in era where communication and technology couldn't expose his "diva" tendencies.
I could've married Angelina Jolie ...if I was Brad Pitt.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Good point. Sing definitely would've handled it better than Mooch.

No doubt about it. Remember how weirded out he was when TO was crying on his shoulder?

I still don't think he would have approached Jerry's records simply because I feel Jerry was a receiver with athletic ability whereas TO was an athletic freak who could catch.

Even if TO did get the records I think Rice would be in the GOAT discussion.
Its Typical T.O. more of a dig at romo, mcnabb and garcia.

Jerry Rice still has more rings than owens. and that is a stat. owens will never break.
Watching the reply of the super bowl vs. bengals in jan. 1989, we saw just how great Rice is.

Share 49ersWebzone