There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Refs admit mistake: Favre low hit should have been flagged, reversing Saints INT

  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 26,710
wow, this is pretty bad. this is a game changing mistake by the refs. Instead of an INT, the Vikes should have had the ball at the Saints 19 yard line, setting them up for a 3 pointer at least, and thereby also avoiding OT and winning them the game, all things being equal.

link to ESPN story
In the words of Steve Marriucci: "Bummer."
f**king refs
Oh it was obvious too, this was a no brainer call, I have no idea what was going on that game. Are you telling me, that a guy like Brady gets TAPPED on his ankle, and gets a flag? Favre got hit 15 times! Sacked once I believe? And, there was not one flag thrown in that area!

I guarantee you, if the same thing happens to Manning, players will not be getting away with in, it was the NFL's agenda that day to try and get the Saints in the SB.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Oh it was obvious too, this was a no brainer call, I have no idea what was going on that game. Are you telling me, that a guy like Brady gets TAPPED on his ankle, and gets a flag? Favre got hit 15 times! Sacked once I believe? And, there was not one flag thrown in that area!

I guarantee you, if the same thing happens to Manning, players will not be getting away with in, it was the NFL's agenda that day to try and get the Saints in the SB.

Oh they got Hargrove with a roughing the passer when he came in and lifted Favre off the ground and smashed him into the turf. Troy Gay Boy Aikman was stating that was a legal hit and the refs were smoking something for calling that. What gives. Joe Buck agreed with the refs on that particular play.

But yeah, Favre looked like he was in a boxing match, his face all bruised up during the post game press conference. If I was Childress I would have told my D to lay in a few late hits on Brees to give the Saints a taste of their own dirty medicine.
too late now so it doesn't really matter anymore It was finally to see a QB get hit though. It's been a while NFL fans have seen that.
What could the league do to prevent this s**t?
f**k favre
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
In the words of Steve Marriucci: "Bummer."

That was an awesome moment from Steve.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 51,555
i don't give a s**t. I'm glad the Saints won.
Originally posted by Shaj:
wow, this is pretty bad. this is a game changing mistake by the refs. Instead of an INT, the Vikes should have had the ball at the Saints 19 yard line, setting them up for a 3 pointer at least, and thereby also avoiding OT and winning them the game, all things being equal.

link to ESPN story

The game was tied at 21 and it happened in the 3rd quarter. You can't just presume if the Vikes scored on that drive that the rest of the game would have had the same outcome.

Big call? Yes, but heck with how the Vikings were playing they probably would have fumbled it on the next play had the penalty been called.
Roughing the Passer is one of the most subjective calls in football - hits that get flagged that shouldn't be and hits that don't get flagged that should happen all the time. Why a ref (and one that didn't work the game, and hasn't worked a game in 13 years) would come out now and just add fuel to the fire on a play like that is beyond me.
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 26,710
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Roughing the Passer is one of the most subjective calls in football - hits that get flagged that shouldn't be and hits that don't get flagged that should happen all the time. Why a ref would come out now and just add fuel to the fire on a play like that is beyond me.

because it was not borderline, it was an obvious missed call, and their job is to admit fault when OBVIOUS missed calls are made.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,129
They refs called roughing the passer on an earlier play which they had no business calling whatsoever. I think the refs new that, and allowed that extra hit on Favre as a make up call for the Saints.
Originally posted by GEEK:
They refs called roughing the passer on an earlier play which they had no business calling whatsoever. I think the refs new that, and allowed that extra hit on Favre as a make up call for the Saints.

I'm not sure if this was the reason they let that one go, but you're right about this first call. It was a blatantly horrible roughing the passer on Favre...he handed the ball off to Rice and got popped after that. The Vikes ended up scoring a TD on the drive so whatever, fair is fair.