There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NY Jets: Proof that a great OL....

• KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by blm7754:
with average talent everywhere else can almost get you to the Superbowl.

Offensively the Jets have very little, aside from a fantastic OL. Their OL makes all of their skills players look better than they really are. That is always the case. Smith, S. Hill, Gore, VD, etc... have looked pretty darn good when our OL performs well. But when it doesn't, they look like s**t.

Aside from that and some better CB's, what do the Jets have that we don't? I argue that our talent at RB, TE, WR, LB, and DL is better than theirs. So lets use our high draft picks on OL and CB and be the Jets of 2010.

As good a run game as they has the Jets pass offense was 2nd last in the NFL.

Jones, Greene, Washington > Gore, Coffee, Robsinson

We are more talented at TE.

It's arguable that they are better at WR.

At LB it's pretty even. If they had a legit pass rusher opposite Pace they would be better.

DL we are probably only slightly better when they have a healthy Kris Jenkins.

And FWIW I don't want to be the 2009-2010 Jets next year, I want to be the 2010-2011 SF 49ers.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson = #4 overall IIRC

C Nich Mangold = first round choice

OG Alan Faneca = All Pro

That begins to make anybody look good.

Ferguson is amazing. He is svelte compared to many of the OL on most teams, yet he handles power rushes with ease. His footwork is so easy and fluid it almost looks like he is in slow motion yet he is always in front of his man.

No wonder the Jets did so well. The game is won in the trenches, and they own that ground.

Ferguson still surrendered 8 sacks and that passing offense was 31st in the league. While stats don't tell the whole story, the Saints LT Jermon Bushrod was a 4th round pick forced into action due to Brown's injury and started 14 games (played in 15) and surrendered 7.5 sacks and was flagged 4 times (Ferguson by contrast was flagged 8 times.

There is a thread in the War Room that is discussing the OL and how to improve it as the Colts and Saints have a lot less invested in their lines and are Super Bowl bound. There is no right way or wrong way to improve the line. Investing high picks doesn't equal success, there are still good chances we could draft a bust along the line.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

OG Alan Faneca = All Pro

Ferguson is amazing. He is svelte compared to many of the OL on most teams, yet he handles power rushes with ease. His footwork is so easy and fluid it almost looks like he is in slow motion yet he is always in front of his man.

No wonder the Jets did so well. The game is won in the trenches, and they own that ground.

Ferguson still surrendered 8 sacks and that passing offense was 31st in the league. While stats don't tell the whole story, the Saints LT Jermon Bushrod was a 4th round pick forced into action due to Brown's injury and started 14 games (played in 15) and surrendered 7.5 sacks and was flagged 4 times (Ferguson by contrast was flagged 8 times.

There is a thread in the War Room that is discussing the OL and how to improve it as the Colts and Saints have a lot less invested in their lines and are Super Bowl bound. There is no right way or wrong way to improve the line. Investing high picks doesn't equal success, there are still good chances we could draft a bust along the line.

I think a point we can make is that there is no 1 way to build an O-Line. The Colts have turned a bunch of nobodies and made a great Line. The Jets have also made a great line but did it with high draft picks (Ferguson and Mangold) and spending big in Free Agency (Faneca and Woody).
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

OG Alan Faneca = All Pro

I think a point we can make is that there is no 1 way to build an O-Line. The Colts have turned a bunch of nobodies and made a great Line. The Jets have also made a great line but did it with high draft picks (Ferguson and Mangold) and spending big in Free Agency (Faneca and Woody).

Agreed. Every team has it's beliefs on how to do it but if you choose not to invest high picks then you have to do a good job of scouting and listening to input from your position coaches and OC and of course have good coaching.

OG Alan Faneca = All Pro

Agreed. Every team has it's beliefs on how to do it but if you choose not to invest high picks then you have to do a good job of scouting and listening to input from your position coaches and OC and of course have good coaching.

Precisely. With how horrible our line is I think we almost have to go the route of investing high draft picks. Would be great if we could hit on some late picks but I say go for the more sure thing. (Not saying if we draft high we are guaranteed a great line, but it's a higher probability then hoping we hit on a late round pick)
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

OG Alan Faneca = All Pro

Precisely. With how horrible our line is I think we almost have to go the route of investing high draft picks. Would be great if we could hit on some late picks but I say go for the more sure thing. (Not saying if we draft high we are guaranteed a great line, but it's a higher probability then hoping we hit on a late round pick)

I think we need to invest 1 pick high at least, RT. OG I think we could nab one between the 2nd to 4th that could compete for a spot from day 1 and I would like to look to add someone like Stephen Neal via FA.

Maurkice Pouncey is someone I am really warming up to the idea of taking. Could compete at OG from day 1 and move over to center eventually. But I would not trade into the bottom of the first for him, I'd nab him with our 2nd if he is there.