Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

protected option bonus/minimum of salary against the cap

first of all:
http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/03/loophole-around-nfls-30-percent-rule.html
and
http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/05/matthew-staffords-contract.html

from the first one:
"It would have received much more attention if the Washington Redskins had used a completion bonus to give Albert Haynesworth a first-year cap number of, say, $3.8 million — or, theoretically, as low as $2.796 million — instead of $7 million."
can anyone calculate those 2.796$ million for me in a dummy way???

"His guaranteed money consists of a $5 million signing bonus, a $21 million protected option bonus in 2010 and $15 million in base salaries during his first three years....If the Redskins don't exercise the option, several of the base salaries would increase and become fully or partially guaranteed, adding up to the same $21 million in additional guarantees, making the option bonus "protected" and that money guaranteed."
what is that option good for if you have to pay the option bonus anyway???is it usual to give the players such protected option bonuses? since when do the franchises guarantee base salaries, like the 15$ mio. for the first three years in haynesworth's contract? up to now I thought that guaranteed money=signing bonus and nothing more...
if anyone dont know what im talking about, look at the second article.
Originally posted by communist:
first of all:
http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/03/loophole-around-nfls-30-percent-rule.html
and
http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/05/matthew-staffords-contract.html

from the first one:
"It would have received much more attention if the Washington Redskins had used a completion bonus to give Albert Haynesworth a first-year cap number of, say, $3.8 million — or, theoretically, as low as $2.796 million — instead of $7 million."
can anyone calculate those 2.796$ million for me in a dummy way???

"His guaranteed money consists of a $5 million signing bonus, a $21 million protected option bonus in 2010 and $15 million in base salaries during his first three years....If the Redskins don't exercise the option, several of the base salaries would increase and become fully or partially guaranteed, adding up to the same $21 million in additional guarantees, making the option bonus "protected" and that money guaranteed."
what is that option good for if you have to pay the option bonus anyway???is it usual to give the players such protected option bonuses? since when do the franchises guarantee base salaries, like the 15$ mio. for the first three years in haynesworth's contract? up to now I thought that guaranteed money=signing bonus and nothing more...
if anyone dont know what im talking about, look at the second article.

Ok the option bonus seems to be there to protect the player. So if he gets injured doesn't live up to expectations or whatever that’s his money if he bust he gets 17.05 million dollars total. It’s basically an option if he does well the team picks it up and he'll have a chance then based on his incentives to make the rest of the money if he reaches them. But basically if he doesn't pan out and he sucks then they don't pick up the option and can cut him in 2013 without owning any more money to him. So really it's here's 17.05 million for hoping you turn into a qb we think can play in the NFL. So basically it's the lowest amount he can be paid by the lions if he does or doesn’t work out. As for haynesworth's contract im not sure if it is normally done that way, but to get that guy to even considered the redskins Dan had to make a big move. basically saying we think you'll play at a high level for 3 years and were willing to guarantee that money basically contract 2 is were the player has more power and gets to set the terms of the deal, but the thinking behind this is that he would have made the money anyway if healthy and I don't think Dan would have gone after him if he was really worried about him getting injured or at least not performing for the next 3 years at a high level..
thanks a lot...i hadnt the "minimize the lost"-issue in mind although i study economics...thats embarassing