There are 466 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Denver Broncos... Was Change Worth It?

They have now officially finished the 2009 season with an 8-8 record. That marks the 4th consecutive season they have had a .500 record! (Three seasons under Mike Shanahan and the first under Josh McDaniels) The Broncos started the season 6-0!

Quote:
Adam Shefter: Dark day in Denver... The Broncos became the third team since the 1970 merger to start 6-0 and fail to make the playoffs.

[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 3, 2010 at 5:22 PM ]
McDaniels killed that team
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
McDaniels killed that team

and the Big Tickle reappeared again in the last weeks.

I'm so happy, can't stand McDaniels, and f**k Nolan too.
happened to them?!
I wonder if they fire him, I doubt it but you never know. He's definitely on fans s**t list, after that 6 game win streak it went downhill fast.
Originally posted by jrg:
happened to them?!

They got Nolanized.

"But at the same time. . . ."

Nah, they still got Nolanized.
NOBODY thought they would do well. Everyone was predicting them to be in the top 5 of the draft order. Whats the big deal? I'm sure if you asked their fans at the beginning of the year if they thought 8-8 was good, they would have taken it.

The whole NFL made fun of them for the Orton trade, but Orton has done pretty well.

I think their 6-0 start was attributed to good coaching... Nolan is a great DCoordinator after all.
i feel like punching mcdaniels in the face and i'm not even a broncos fan. that guy get's on my nerves
I'd love to see Josh McDaniels and Rex Ryan fight to the death (for charity, of course). There's nothing like seeing two guys you hate beat the he'll out of each other.

I don't know if I'll ever understand the Shannahan firing.
The coach is a douche but the owner is a bigger douche

The problem with Denver was the defense but instead of keeping Mike Shanny and just fixing the D the owner blew up the entire team

2005 13-3 (Lost Conf Champ)
2006 9-7 9ers beat them in OT to keep them from making the playoffs
2007 7-9
2008 8-8 Lost last three games and the 4 game lead in the division
2009 8-8

If I’m not mistaken Mike S lost his coordinators after the 05 season and never recovered
Baby Hoody is in over his head. The fast start was interesting, but the real story is that his people skills are so horrible that one Pro-Bowl offensive player is gone and another is on the way out. If I was a Bronco fan I would want blood.
They don't have all the personnel on either side of the ball to run their schemes so teams figured them out. McDaniels will need another 2 years to fully put everything he wants to do in place.

Coaching has to take some of the blame though after such a hot start.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
They don't have all the personnel on either side of the ball to run their schemes so teams figured them out. McDaniels will need another 2 years to fully put everything he wants to do in place.

Exactly. I was surprised that Orton did such a good job at QB though.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
The coach is a douche but the owner is a bigger douche

The problem with Denver was the defense but instead of keeping Mike Shanny and just fixing the D the owner blew up the entire team

2005 13-3 (Lost Conf Champ)
2006 9-7 9ers beat them in OT to keep them from making the playoffs
2007 7-9
2008 8-8 Lost last three games and the 4 game lead in the division
2009 8-8

If I’m not mistaken Mike S lost his coordinators after the 05 season and never recovered

They have one of best owners in all of sports.

It looks like this is blowing up in Bowlen's face, but everyone makes mistakes. If McDaniels fails it'll be because he turns the players against him. The Cutler issue... Schefftler... questioning Marshall's toughness and then benching him before a must-win game. That's just ignornant and a fool allowing his ego to get in the way. Still, he turned their defense around, quickly. Plus, he got pretty nice production out of his offense, which everyone expected to fall flat without Cutler.

Bowlen didn't see Shanahan taking them to the Superbowl anytime soon, so he made a drastic change. He feels an obligation to the fans to win. Him and Shanahan would close friends. He made probably the toughest decision of his career all for the betterment of his franchise. I wouldn't call him a douche of that.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Exactly. I was surprised that Orton did such a good job at QB though.

TBH I wasn't really. After watching what he did in Chicago the year before, I could see he could flourish as a system QB. It's all about putting him in a position to succeed and McDaniels is a bright offensive mind who did just that.

He has (Orton) that team in a good position heading into the draft. They are not pressed into drafting a QB in the 1st round so unless Bradford or Clausen fall to them they can look at McCoy & Pike and decide if either of those guys are franchise QB's or not. If the answer is no take a 2nd day developmental kid. It also allows them to groom said QB and not press him into action early on.