LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

rule questions?

Shop 49ers game tickets
when the D jumps offsides, it is now a free offensive play. but whaty if on that play there is an offensive penalty after the snap? what happens?

the non offside player gets pressure on the QB, and the QB throws it away for intentional grounding?
same scenerio but the offside player gets the pressure?

offensive holding against a non offside player?
against the offside player?

what if there is offensive PI?
or an illegal forward pass?
I'm pretty sure the offensive penalty doesn't count, unless the offensive team declined the offsides for some reason.

If it were a personal foul on the offense, then I believe it would be counted.
unless it was a personal foul the penalties would offset and the down would be replayed
  • krizay
  • Veteran
It would be offsetting penalties. Replay the down.
Originally posted by krizay:

this si what i was thinking. but i also think it is bulls**t for a QB to sit back and take a hit from a guy who got a great jump because he was offsides and the refs chose not to call unabated to the QB.

and i know a personal fould will be enforced no matter what happened.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

this si what i was thinking. but i also think it is bulls**t for a QB to sit back and take a hit from a guy who got a great jump because he was offsides and the refs chose not to call unabated to the QB.

If that were the case then the defender would be flagged for offside AND a personal foul.

If he jumps unabated, the refs blow the whistle enough times to stop the defender, if he insists and follows through with the hit, then the personal foul will be enforced, and depending on the severity of the hit, he could be ejected from the game.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

If they get a great jump it's call unevaded to the QB and whistle stops the play.
offsetting penalties. replay the down.
Share 49ersWebzone