LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Why Were We Never In The Running For Mike Holmgren?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Mike Holmgren just signed on as President of The Browns. Can anyone tell me why the 49ers never courted Homgren to be in their front office? Did he have a reason for not wanting to come to the niners? With his 49ers roots, you think we would have considered him, and he would have considered us. I don't see this team being a championship contender again until we get a proven NFL executive who is capable of architecting a team at all levels. The York's made a mistake handing the keys of the franchise to Mike Nolan, who had never even been a head coach in this league. That was like handing your car keys to a ten year old child. Singletary has his hands full learning how to be a head coach, and unfortunately, I don't see Scott McCloughan as anything more than a director of scouting. He's not going to get us to the promised land with his vision. Is there anyone else out there who is worthy of heading up the 49ers football operation?
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Mike Holmgren just signed on as President of The Browns. Can anyone tell me why the 49ers never courted Homgren to be in their front office? Did he have a reason for not wanting to come to the niners? With his 49ers roots, you think we would have considered him, and he would have considered us. I don't see this team being a championship contender again until we get a proven NFL executive who is capable of architecting a team at all levels. The York's made a mistake handing the keys of the franchise to Mike Nolan, who had never even been a head coach in this league. That was like handing your car keys to a ten year old child. Singletary has his hands full learning how to be a head coach, and unfortunately, I don't see Scott McCloughan as anything more than a director of scouting. He's not going to get us to the promised land with his vision. Is there anyone else out there who is worthy of heading up the 49ers football operation?

Because the Yorks are cheap, stupid and hate anything that has to do with Eddie D or Bill Walsh.
i'd take him over McClueless in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by 190836:

Because the Yorks are cheap, stupid and hate anything that has to do with Eddie D or Bill Walsh.

what a sad truth
I think that if the 49er's had just given him a decent offer, he would have taken it. This is his home town and the year before he took his sabbatical, he was building a home in the Santa Cruz area.

At one time he was rumored to take the place of Mike Nolan for 2009 (yes, this year), but he promised his wife that he would take the year off. Consequently, the 49er's selected Singletary as the new coach.

But that was OK because I didn't think that Mike really wanted to be a coach again. He wanted to work in the front office and preferably as the G.M. He hinted on this several times during interviews and tho he didn't outright say so. he was hinting on maybe the 49er's.

Anyway, for the fans that DIDN'T want Mike ... you got your wish. Hopefully Scott pans out and becomes more proficient at selecting players. And for those that don't like him, EVERY GM regardless who it is will select winners and losers.

Willis, Davis and Crabtree have proven to be good choices. It's impossible to be SPOT on with every choice!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 21, 2009 at 6:45 PM ]
Because we decided that a young and completely unqualified relative could be given the job... it's not even the GM position, its the President position that he'd replace.... given that the franchise represents the Bay Area, the Bay Area and NFL fanbase should have a say in the Yorks selling the franchise. We will NEVER win a Super Bowl with this ownership, I'd take Dan Snyder over the York family. Atleast he cares and spends his $...

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Dec 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

Because hiring a qualified football team president would make too much sense and the Yorks and decisions that make sense don't go hand in hand. That's how we've ended up with Erickson, Nolan, Mcloughan, and Singletary and play meaningless football in December every year.
Because they are smarter than you are.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
I have no interest in holmgren as president or GM.

I fail to see his qualifications in that area.

That being said I am so so on scott m.

He hasn't been Terrible but also hasnt been great.

The niners have 2 problems.

Lacking a qb with the it factor and an oline that just doesn't cut it.

• Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Is that why they are losing every year?
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Is that why they are losing every year?

i dont see you running an NFL team.

besides, i dont see why everyone wants holmgren so much. The past is the past, move on please.
[ Edited by darkknight49 on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM ]
Holmgren? Jesus Christ who cares. Let it go.

Maybe because the Yorks realized that when you look at his record as a GM, Holmgren hasn't accomplished jack s**t and it's probably better to not get caught up in someone just because their name is "Mike Holmgren."

...just a thought.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Holmgren? Jesus Christ who cares. Let it go.

Exactly. I say we pick this argument up when he leads Cleveland to a Super Bowl.

Nobody hold you breath.
Share 49ersWebzone